Battery charger explanation??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery charger explanation??

On a motorcycle forum I visit a person was trying to diagnose electrical problems on their bike when it had a dead battery.

They tried using a charger on 50A start mode with and without the battery in place but it would not even run the electronics. They put in a good battery and it worked.

Now I would never have tried this, I wont consider doing diagnostics on a bike unless the battery can start it easily. Jump starting is not even an option.

The person wants to know why the charger in 50A start mode wont work on the bike in place of a battery, and I cant explain it.

This is the only place I am a member of that I can get an answer!

Don't know anything about the cycle, but electronics and and ignition would like to see a nice
    voltage stablizing battery. A charger does NOT put out DC, and it will try to vary its output
    to match a battery that isn't there. Damage might even occur.

If it has a battery, it can be jumped, might take some special wiring to do it. Bruce Roe

Comment

more recent chargers (last 15 years - safety you know) require about 9V at the battery before they will energize.

older chargers put about 20V out (peak DC pulses from a simple rectified AC transformer) and it's not clean DC
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I have a small cheap 4 amp charger that has been acting as a power supply to run a 12V car stereo in my house for over 10 years.

I have a charger the same as in the pic attached. I just did a test, no load in start mode it put out 13.5V, less in the lower settings.

I connected a 12V/21w globe and it was able to light the globe and run at 13.5V.

The bike in question is a 2001 model but had electronic fuel injection. It would power up to some extent but not at all correctly.

I am thinking it is the electronics of the bike, as in the ECU, that was not happy with the charger as a power supply.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bala View Post
          I have a small cheap 4 amp charger that has been acting as a power supply to run a 12V car stereo in my house for over 10 years..
          You have a Boat Anchor of a power supply. That is not a bad thing, it just means it uses a transformer. diodes and old fashion shunt voltage regulator. It can be used as a charger or power supply. Modern chargers do not work that way. They have to see voltage before they energize. That is why they call themselves smart.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
          X