Generators: new vs old, reliability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generators: new vs old, reliability

Since Florence was heading our way, I prepped our 2003-ish PowerBoss 5500 for use since it's sat for at least 4 years from actual use, though I do remember cranking it once when we moved to our current house in 2015. Last thing I did back then was to drain the tank of gas, and let the engine burn what was in the carb.

Earlier this week, I changed it's oil (um... pretty sure that's its first oil change), cleaned the spark plug, and cleaned the carb. It is pretty old timewise but looks great, just has a little light rust on one portion of the engine, and typical dust that has collected almost all over.

It was running a bit rough before I cleaned the carb, though actually the jet was clean, it was probably just the old gas that was still sitting in it (running the engine 'til it shuts off still won't pull the last bit of gas out of a carb).

After that, it's running like a champ! I didn't check the output voltage, but have no reason to believe it's not spot on, as always.

So, anyway, I considered buying a newer generator before the storm. Costco has a good looking Firman 7500w that's dual fuel, battery start, and a 50amp output. I'd like to get something with higher output, particularly to run the downstairs AC if we'd be out of power for days in the summer heat. However, it seems newer generators aren't as reliable as the older models. Plus, with all of the extra "controls" like the battery starter, low oil shutoff, voltage and hour displays, it seems to be complicating the units, making them harder to work on.

One thing I do like about this PowerBoss is that it's a B&S engine, a rotor with built-in sockets (2x20a 1x30a) and push-button breakers, and a gas tank. Nothing complicated about it, and easy to get to everything since the frame is open on all sides except the top due to the tank.

The wife would rather, if we're gonna get another gennie, to get a 20kW whole house unit (Cummins probably) and propane tank for it, and of course auto transfer switch, etc.

So far, we haven't lost power at all due to the storm, so I guess I'm glad I didn't get a new generator. But, even if I did, I'm not sure "new" is better than "old" in this case. Opinions?
    https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=54099

Newer generators, like my Generac XP6500e (now discontinued I see) which I bought at the tail end of hurricane Sandy, all tend to be OSHA 2011 compliant and have full panel GFI which is a huge PIA. I had to take mine apart and bypass it (voiding the warranty of course) as the GFI kept nuisance tripping. Similarly, I had to unbond the neutral (or bond it -- I forget which) so that my hot water heater's electronic controller would turn on.

Overall, I've been very happy with my Generac -- though I haven't had a real extended emergency over which to use it (Like Sandy). It starts and runs great every time. The XP (not GP) versions have very tightly controller voltage, frequency, and low waveform noise.

I do try to run it for an hour or so, every month or two. And I always use treated gasoline which I try to burn through once a year or so. I also run the bowl dry every time. When I first got the generator, I replaced the oil and filter with synthetic mobile 1 (and mobile 1 filter). I also replaced the plug with a special lower firing voltage unit. I've got about 70 hours on it now

Only real limitation now is that I want to buy and install an Autotranformer so that I can use the full capacity of the genny with unbalanced single phase loads or hopefully, one day, a full panel manual transfer switch (obviously without my central AC).

Other negatives are the size, loudness, and need for ~10+ gallons of gasoline per day -- which was difficult to come by during Sandy.

Comment

1930's listeroid diesel 6hp totally outperforms my 2014 Hatz/Subaru/Robin 6hp genset - which needed control repairs at 50 hours
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
        1930's listeroid diesel 6hp totally outperforms my 2014 Hatz/Subaru/Robin 6hp genset - which needed control repairs at 50 hours
        That's why I'm thinking my barebones (control wise) gennie is probably better than the newer ones that come with air conditioning and power seats. Sure, they look cool and have lots of switches, lights, and buttons, but if one control circuit fails then you don't have a gennie!
        https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=54099

Comment

Working...
        X