Thoughts on Victron controllers and support?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNW_Steve
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2014

Thoughts on Victron controllers and support?

Hey Everyone,

I am considering the Victron 150/75 MPPT controller for my RV install. I wonder if anyone here has experience with them? If so, could you please share with me your experience regarding quality, functionality and support?

Thanks.

S.
  • OldSmokey
    • Jul 2017

I have used Victron for quite a few installs and their gear is very reliable, technical support is excellent.
    I currently have 960 Watts of panels on my RV using a 150/35. the controller is quite cool at full array power and the blue tooth interface application shows array watts and kWhrs and amps with a 30 day history.

Comment

• PNW_Steve
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by OldSmokey
      I have used Victron for quite a few installs and their gear is very reliable, technical support is excellent.
      I currently have 960 Watts of panels on my RV using a 150/35. the controller is quite cool at full array power and the blue tooth interface application shows array watts and kWhrs and amps with a 30 day history.
      Thank you. I appreciate the input. I am leaning strongly towards Victron.

Anyone else have any thoughts regarding Victron?

Thanks again.

S.

Comment

• Raul
        Solar Fanatic
        • May 2015

I have various charge controllers, inverters, monitoring colour GX, batt. Monitor, bat protect and even automotive chargers. The quality is very good, technical support spot on, you can even chose to be a beta tester on their new updates, and competitively priced.

Comment

• Raul
          Solar Fanatic
          • May 2015

I may add, their inverters capability beyond the nominal rating is outstanding. The solar chargers are probably the first to the market with the added function off current input limiting capabilities; wich makes it posible to over panel for winter harvest but limit the excess in the summer if not used.

Comment

• PNW_Steve
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2014

Thanks Paul.

I am hearing good things.

One question? Does the 150/70 have battery temperature compensation? It was suggested to me that they may not.

Comment

• Raul
              Solar Fanatic
              • May 2015

The old mod bus version ( not VE direct ) have; 85 and 70A version.
              All the new versions including the smart ones work with the sensor of the multiplus via CCGX or Venus.

Comment

• PNW_Steve
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Raul
                The old mod bus version ( not VE direct ) have; 85 and 70A version.
                All the new versions including the smart ones work with the sensor of the multiplus via CCGX or Venus.
                To make sure that I understand: A remote temperature sensor can be added to the current 150/70 w/ VE direct?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Comment

• Raul
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • May 2015

No, only if the system comprises of a hub as mentioned. Not just the controler by itself.

Comment

• Todd99
                    • Apr 2018

Sorry to hijack your post but I can't figure out how to start a new one.

I have a victron smartsolar 100/50 and looking for some recommendations on how much solar panel wattage I can attach. I'm confused on the 24v vs 12v panels. By the way I have 217ah of AGM batteries (2x6v) and may double that if needed.

Hopefully Raul or Smokey (experience with victron equipment) can provide some input.

Comment

• Sunking
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Todd99

I have a victron smartsolar 100/50 and looking for some recommendations on how much solar panel wattage I can attach. I'm confused on the 24v vs 12v panels. By the way I have 217ah of AGM batteries (2x6v) and may double that if needed.
                      Plain as day right in the Spec Sheet that is one page long. 700 watts operating into a 12 volt battery, and 1400 watts into a 24 volt battery. But that does not mean you can or should run it up to that much power. Batteries have minimum and maximum charge current requirements. You have a 12 volt 217 AH battery. That means you need at least 200 watts and no more than 350 watts.

Hint 50 amps x 14 volts = 700 watts. 50 amps x 28 volts = 1400 watts.
                      Last edited by Sunking; 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM.
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

• Brian53713
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Oct 2016

Victron 100/30 has worked flawlessly for almost 2 years. The CC comes with 5 year warranty . Every phone call to the factory sales rep has been answered immediately. Online Factory support questions answered very quickly. Website shows how high tech and encompassing their stuff is.. anybody that would buy questionable stuff off the internet for slightly less money with no real website or support , needs to do their homework.

Comment

• Todd99
                          • Apr 2018

Sunking - so does that mean I should only look at 12V panels? I was thinking that I could use the higher voltage 60 cell/24v panels (or even 72 cell/36V) and then the CC would accept it and convert it for my 12 V batteries? The single panels in the 300-350W range that are less than $1/watt are all 24V (or 36V) that I was looking at purchasing...

Thanks for the help

Comment

• OldSmokey
                            • Jul 2017

It is preferable to use the higher voltage panels, for example a 24V 60 cell panel has a Voc of typically 36 Volts. so two of these in series would be 72 V then multiply by 1.2 as a safety margin for cold startup and you would have approx 86 Volts as a max Voc. this is comfortably under the 100 Volt max input of the 100/50 cc . just be aware of the Voc for any panel type you choose..
                            and make sure you are under the max input voltage.

Comment

• Sunking
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Todd99
                              Sunking - so does that mean I should only look at 12V panels?
                              No use as high of voltage/power panels as your controller can handle. Unfortunately Victron falls a bit short in this category with a Voc limit of 100 volts. 150 or 600 Voc controllers do not have that limitation. That means your total Voc limit is roughly 80 volts. So if you used 72-cell panels can only wire them in parallel which you want to avoid, but would work. With 60-cell panels you can wire two in series resulting in higher voltage and smaller wiring.

So here is what I recommend. Determine total panel wattage, and use even number of panels like 2 or 4 so you can wire them 2 in series to take advantage of of higher voltages. You can go over 700 watt input limit on panels as long as you do not go past 800 watts if you want. That way you can use say 4 x 200 watt panels, All that happens is you clip some current around solar noon hour. With say 72-cell 300 watt panels you limit yourself to 600 watts @ 12 volts. So don't screw yourself and DO NOT USE PRIME number of panels except for the number 1 in your application.
                              Last edited by Sunking; 04-12-2018, 04:34 PM.
                              MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...