Changing from two inverters to one on grid connected supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing from two inverters to one on grid connected supply

I have 12 panels feeding to 2 separate 1.5 KW grid connected inverters.

There is very little difference in the cost of replacement 1.5 KW and 3KW inverters.

My question is can I simply join up the 2 separate 1.5 KW solar output cables and feed the combined solar outputs into a

single 3KW grid connected inverter.

I suppose if the string voltage of each array matches the input of the inverter, you would be fine, except for notifying the power company of the swap
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Thank you

Comment

If you locality has bumped up their NEC edition you may be having to deal with adding A Rapid Shut Down device.

Comment

Not sure what that means. I am from Queensland, Australia.
          Our local government is in the process of discussing ways and means of shutting down
          our grid ties output in times of low grid demand.
          Out here we pay about 33 A cents per KWH plus a connection fee of A$500 per annum.
          We are paid 10A cents per KWH for our grid input.

Comment

Always a challenge guessing where folks are in the world.

The US National Electric Code (NEC) has recently put in requirements that require that an array has to be deenergized quite close to the panels remotely. Its mostly so that firefighters don't have to worry about covering over panels to deactivate any possible current in the conduits between the panels and the typically remotely mounted string inverter. Microinverters are easily made to be RSD complaint as if the breaker at the panel is open or the grid goes down the microinverters don't send any power out. With string inverters there needs to be a locally mounted normally open relay or equivalent mounted on the roof at the array that is pulled closed when the inverter is running. If the grid goes out or a manual shutdown switch is engaged, the relay opens and the therefore the conduit and equipment downstream of the relay has not current in it.

Comment

Working...
            X