X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Murby
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2017

It just snowed in Michigan. 8 Inches

So we got our first snow since we put the solar panels in this summer. While we ended up with 8 inches on the ground, the panels seemed to only have accumulated about 4 inches.. But OUCH! That 4 inches shut down all production on a bright sunny day.

When I went out there this morning, our 7.56KW system was producing a whopping 65 watts with 4 inches of snow covering.

Went to Home Depot and purchased one of those 16 foot telescoping painters poles ($38) and screwed an 18 inch push broom onto it and went to work. Our system is 4 rows high by 7 columns long and mounted on a slightly elevated ground mount where the highest point is about 14 feet in the air.

It took me about 15 to 20 minutes to clean them off.. it was an extremely cold night so the snow was dry and fluffy and most of it just slid right off the array when I pulled on it.

Production went from 65 watts to 3300 watts and eventually climbed to 6000 once the sun warmed the panels up and melted the remaining streaks of snow the broom left behind.

Wow, that snow is a real killer.... but now I'm armed and ready....
  • AzRoute66
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2017

I'm a little surprised this kinda caught you by surprise. I believe I remember when you posted the installation pictures that a bit of a conversation about snow removal ensued. Not all 'flavors' of snow will be so easy to 'brush off'.

Comment

• Murby
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2017

What I was surprised about is how much production loss there was....I expected 50% to 75%, not a total collapse. But, at the end of the day, there's nothing I or anyone can do about it. Snow falls, it has to be removed. At least now I have an easy way to do it.

Comment

• bcroe
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2012

The sun won't penetrate much snow, so you get no power and no melting, till its pushed off. I managed to clear 250' of mine
        this week in 16 min; has taken me up to 90 minutes to clear heavy snow in the past. Now I have gaps for the snow and better
        ground clearance as described in other posts. Bruce Roe

Comment

• ButchDeal
          Solar Fanatic
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Murby
          What I was surprised about is how much production loss there was....I expected 50% to 75%, not a total collapse. But, at the end of the day, there's nothing I or anyone can do about it. Snow falls, it has to be removed. At least now I have an easy way to do it.
          Why would you expect production with the pv modules covered?
          What I find interesting is the number of people that feel that light will penetrate snow and produce power. Had several installers argue that you would still get production even with several inches of snow, and that I was wrong about no production with even 1/4 inch of snow. I even showed them photos of my system and records from system all over the US,
          you can
          OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• Murby
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2017

How do these people with roof mount arrays deal with this? Yikes! You get snow cover at the start of winter and lose power for the rest of winter? Oh man that would suck.

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

How do these people with roof mount arrays deal with this? Yikes! You get snow cover at the start of winter and lose power for the rest of winter? Oh man that would suck.
              Perhaps not quite that bad, but depending on how much snow is received over a winter, probably close. Things the salespeople never tell you. Caveat Emptor.

Comment

• bcroe
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2012

How do these people with roof mount arrays deal with this? Yikes! You get snow cover
                at the start of winter and lose power for the rest of winter? Oh man that would suck.
                Right, I don't see snow removal as a practical thing on roof mounts. A few have attempted it at great
                peril.

Production is way down in snow months, due to short hours and clouds. But I still do not want to lose
                any more, to snow. On my list of 40 reasons to prefer a ground mount, 2 are for snow. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

Solar panels cannot tolerate any shade, even snow. What made you think otherwise?
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

• J.P.M.
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

With a few exceptions and for the most part, they don't. They just have lower production in winter. Puts a crimp on cost effectiveness however.

Comment

• Mike90250
                      • May 2009

Solar sales droids giving the customer a snow job
                      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• drbob
                        • Mar 2017

I have 1 inch of frozen slush topped by 6 inches of frozen snow on mine. its butt ugly..

Comment

• SunEagle
                          Super Moderator
                          • Oct 2012

Maybe it's time for those up North to wish for a warmer climate without any snow.

Comment

• drbob
                            • Mar 2017

I have shut mine off until mid January I suppose, it isn't worth cleaning the panels off until the sun shines. there is so little sun this time of year. after jan 15, it will be a different story
                            Last edited by drbob; 12-16-2017, 10:59 AM.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by drbob
                              I have shut mine off until mid January I suppose, it isn't worth cleaning the panels off until the sun shines. there is so little sun this time of year. after jan 15, it will be a different story
                              Why shut it off ?
                              Last edited by J.P.M.; 12-16-2017, 04:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...