Suggestions on study workbooks? I have txtbooks - need a lot more example problems

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rocksteady2R
    • Jul 2014

Suggestions on study workbooks? I have txtbooks - need a lot more example problems

per the title.

I'm brushing up on pv math, and want to go thru all the basics and on into more advanced. I can find a good handful of textbooks, but I learn well by replication and inundation - erego : workbooks. (Like algebra books with scores and scores of problems, without the text explaining the why of it.)

Thanks for any suggestions
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Look through the sticky posts here. and many posts have some simple math examples.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

How involved in PV are you thinking of getting ? The basics of math that's required for AC and DC circuits without any application to PV will take you a long way. After and beyond that, any decent text on solar energy that includes the basics of PV, combined with a knowledge of basic circuit theory will probably provide a good learning experience.

I don't know of anything such as what might be covered as in the old format of Schaum's outline series of books with solar energy as a covered topic but my knowledge of what Schaum is publishing these days is incomplete.

Comment

• Rocksteady2R
        • Jul 2014

J.P.M. - I'm already involved as a designer, but I'm trying to step up my game. Hand-calculating full systems is a bit tedious and boring to do, some of the issues is coming up with a variety of ways to look at a given problem, or a coming up with various 'scenarios' to test myself on. I'm re-reading my old, and some new (for me) textbooks for both solar and basic to intermediate electrical work. At work, as a designer, a lot of the math is "done" such that most system design is more button-clicking than calculator-button-pushing. I also find myself fairly isolated from the ops sides of things, so I don't get the real world testing of code requirements and implementation.

I'll be fine with continuing hand-calculating systems, but it's only part of the picture. There's scenarios that it just doesn't cover.

For now, though, I'm just pushing through those textbooks and assignments in order. School all over again, which is probably fine. I really can't find much out there beyond a relatively small set of textbooks, either. So much of the industry is really OJT.

Comment

Working...