X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by jflorey2
    At least one company wants to use trains on mountains. Trains come with massive motor/generators (a diesel locomotive's traction motors can output ~5 megawatts) and hopper cars full of rocks are as cheap as it gets.
    I've seen that idea. Seems like a lot of dedicated rolling stock and track would be required for significant energy storage and reasonably variable e time of use capability, but any scheme would need storage containment so maybe the rail car itself is a moot point. However, part of the problem with elevated rail storage, besides lots of land and right of way issues and maybe a lot of track maint, including possible snow issues at higher elevations for example, is that unless each car's energy is discharged individually, or in groups less than the entire train, regulating the output might get messy, with something that looks like a switch yard at the top/bottom. Elevated storage and variable discharge on conveyors with for example, more vertical drops might be easier to handle and with perhaps less friction losses as the gradient becomes closer to vertical.

Comment

• bcroe
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2012

At least one company wants to use trains on mountains. Trains come with massive motor/generators (a diesel locomotive's traction motors can output ~5 megawatts) and hopper cars full of rocks are as cheap as it gets.
      5 megawatts (6700 hp) doesn't look like much next to my 2000 megawatt nuke. It would need to be electric
      trains to work, not diesel. Bruce Roe

Comment

• BackwoodsEE
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2017

Originally posted by max2k

1kg of anything lifted 10m has potential energy of 0.028 Wh compare to lead acid battery of 30-40 Wh/kg
        Perhaps the solution is to pull several hundred tons of flooded lead acid batteries up and down mountains. Two for one!

Comment

• jflorey2
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by bcroe
          5 megawatts (6700 hp) doesn't look like much next to my 2000 megawatt nuke.
          It looks awesome next to my 2254 megawatt nuke. (Last I heard it was actually using tens of megawatts and generating nothing.)
          It would need to be electric trains to work, not diesel. Bruce Roe
          Yep. Would probably end up being a fairly standard locomotive (diesel or electric) modified with a new supply connection. Here in the US 25KV 60Hz is pretty common.

Comment

• bcroe
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2012

It looks awesome next to my 2254 megawatt nuke. (Last I heard it was actually using tens of megawatts and generating nothing.)

Yep. Would probably end up being a fairly standard locomotive (diesel or electric) modified
            with a new supply connection. Here in the US 25KV 60Hz is pretty common.
            The Byron nuke down the road (2 towers, etc) has performing nicely for nearly 4 decades.

There is another power conversion problem. A century ago electric trains used DC motors,
            with relays swapping in huge resistors for speed control, etc. Supply stations used AC to DC
            rotating converters to supply the overhead line, stationed at regular intervals. If they crossed
            into a different generating district, there was no sync problem feeding DC from multiple points.
            Recently huge Variable Frequency Drives have allowed AC traction motors and much improved
            control. But the drives need a DC supply, just what are the overhead lines supplying now? Or
            is VFD that just for diesels?

So I doubt the AC traction motors would be suitable for the energy storage project, back to
            the DC locomotives. And that output to the overhead would be DC, to be put back on the
            PoCo line with something like a grid tie inverter, to track the variations and sync the line.
            I'm betting that NOBODY has actually worked out a way to even do the train energy
            storage, with any existing hardware. Bruce Roe

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

And because of people being fearful of nuclear is why you have a plant absorbing power instead of delivering it.

IMO CA has shot themselves in the foot and do not realize they are bleeding slowly to death.

Comment

• jflorey2
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by bcroe
                But the drives need a DC supply, just what are the overhead lines supplying now?]
                Depends on the system. 25KV 60Hz is common for long distance trains; Amtrak's Northeast corridor uses them. 750VDC is more common for commuter trains like the Long Island Railroad and the MAX in Portland. The Central Link in Seattle uses 1500 VDC.
                So I doubt the AC traction motors would be suitable for the energy storage project, back to
                the DC locomotives. And that output to the overhead would be DC, to be put back on the
                PoCo line with something like a grid tie inverter, to track the variations and sync the line.
                I'm betting that NOBODY has actually worked out a way to even do the train energy
                storage, with any existing hardware.
                Existing hardware does this now - most light rail systems regenerate into the supply line, as do modern electric AC locomotives. What is lacking are the tracks (and catenarys) on hills.

Comment

• jflorey2
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2015

Originally posted by SunEagle
                  And because of people being fearful of nuclear is why you have a plant absorbing power instead of delivering it.
                  Well, the actual reason we have a plant absorbing power instead of delivering it was that it started leaking (specifically the heat exchanger failed.)

But long term, yes - the main reason people don't want nuclear is fear.

Comment

• bcroe
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jan 2012

Depends on the system. 25KV 60Hz is common for long distance trains; Amtrak's Northeast corridor uses them. 750VDC is more common for commuter trains like the Long Island Railroad and the MAX in Portland. The Central Link in Seattle uses 1500 VDC.

Existing hardware does this now - most light rail systems regenerate into the supply line, as do modern electric
                    AC locomotives. What is lacking are the tracks (and catenarys) on hills.
                    So light rail has this equipment working well on DC overheads? But "light" probably is the wrong class
                    for this job. And the AC traction locos have a regenerative braking feature that is working as well? So
                    with that existing equipment, the next questions might be what is the round trip energy efficiency of such
                    a system, and can it handle continuous service? thanks, Bruce Roe

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Well, the actual reason we have a plant absorbing power instead of delivering it was that it started leaking (specifically the heat exchanger failed.)

But long term, yes - the main reason people don't want nuclear is fear.

Too bad that they fear nuclear energy power generation but I guess we all have something to worry about.

I would say that while I don't "fear the dark" I am just concerned of an unexpected loss of power for my critical loads. I have been in the industrial power field for too many years I guess.

Comment

• max2k
                        • May 2015

Existing hardware does this now - most light rail systems regenerate into the supply line, as do modern electric AC locomotives. What is lacking are the tracks (and catenarys) on hills.
                        no, what is missing is high roundtrip efficiency- I doubt it can break 50% level using 'existing hardware'. Their regeneration abilities are more 'better than nothing' vs > 98%, they were never designed for efficiency. 2 98% processes in sequence give only 96% roundtrip and neither 'existing hardware' engines nor generators are in that range.

Comment

• SunEagle
                          Super Moderator
                          • Oct 2012

no, what is missing is high roundtrip efficiency- I doubt it can break 50% level using 'existing hardware'. Their regeneration abilities are more 'better than nothing' vs > 98%, they were never designed for efficiency. 2 98% processes in sequence give only 96% roundtrip and neither 'existing hardware' engines nor generators are in that range.
                          Converting mechanical or kinetic energy to electrical has never been very efficient.

Comment

• max2k
                            • May 2015

Converting mechanical or kinetic energy to electrical has never been very efficient.
                            but the dream was so sweet- green hills with trains quietly (for high efficiency) going up and down up and down
                            Last edited by max2k; 07-25-2017, 03:57 PM.

Comment

• SunEagle
                              Super Moderator
                              • Oct 2012

but the dream was so sweet- green hills with trains quietly (for high efficiency) going up and down up and down
                              Hmmm. Why not an elevator to a close orbit station. Think of the distance and amount of energy it can produce on the way down.

Comment

• max2k
                                • May 2015

Hmmm. Why not an elevator to a close orbit station. Think of the distance and amount of energy it can produce on the way down.
                                last time I checked there were some 'difficulties' with the ropes- they tend to break under their own weight at those lengths even using latest/greatest/etc .

Comment

Working...