Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aspire
    • May 2017

connecting a 12v turbine to a 24v system

So, hey everyone. So, i have a small setup (less then 100w) in my shed setup for projects and as a learning ... thing. In my area, Wind is super "profitable" but solar, not so much. however, how would i go about connecting a DYI 12v turbine to a 24v system? Would i need a 12v->24v step up? or how would i do this?
  • jflorey2
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Aspire
    So, hey everyone. So, i have a small setup (less then 100w) in my shed setup for projects and as a learning ... thing. In my area, Wind is super "profitable" but solar, not so much. however, how would i go about connecting a DYI 12v turbine to a 24v system? Would i need a 12v->24v step up? or how would i do this?
    I'd say the opposite is true - solar is a lot more "profitable" (in kw per $) than wind. But in any case:

If it's a DIY 12V turbine, then either change the windings or the diode configuration to increase your voltage at your desired rotor speed. Alternatively change the blade pitch to increase speed.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

I am not sure if solar is always better than wind.

If you are located way North and on a lake or wide open plain you more than likely will get a pretty constant wind and very little sunlight all year round. So in some cases a wind turbine if designed and installed properly might be better.

Comment

• Aspire
        • May 2017

Ah. Yes, i live wayyyy up north, canada to be exact. Edmonton area isnt the best for solar, so i decided to go with a 6m(mast height) wind turbine attached to my shed as a experiment. It cost me... probably 100$ in steel, the alternator, and the wiring to get it going. jflorey you live in cali don't ya? ( har har )

Comment

• Wy_White_Wolf
          Solar Fanatic
          • Oct 2011

What type of alternator?

Comment

• jflorey2
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by SunEagle
            If you are located way North and on a lake or wide open plain you more than likely will get a pretty constant wind and very little sunlight all year round. So in some cases a wind turbine if designed and installed properly might be better.
            If the bolded part of your statement is followed - agreed. Unfortunately, in my experience, more than 50% of wind installations are done with small machines on short towers.

To put it another way, if you are going to go cheap, solar will generally be cheaper and more reliable - even in "bad" solar areas.

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by jflorey2
              If the bolded part of your statement is followed - agreed. Unfortunately, in my experience, more than 50% of wind installations are done with small machines on short towers.

To put it another way, if you are going to go cheap, solar will generally be cheaper and more reliable - even in "bad" solar areas.
              I agree. IMO a DIY wind turbine installation requires a lot more thought, design and money to work and provide the power expected.

Those small turbines are pretty much a waste of time even if installed high on a pole. Best to let the experts do it for you.

Comment

• KMac
                • Apr 2016

My small (400 watt) 24v turbine, mounted 30 feet up, does an excellent job of supplementing my 1kw solar panels for my weekend cabin. It is on the prairie with few obstructions except a single line of trees 150 feet to the South (not prevailing winds direction).

I have a 1/2 hp well pump running on a timer (low volume well) filling a couple of water tanks and a drip line pump running, so I need at least 1.6 kwh daily. I'd be in trouble after about two or three cloudy days without the wind turbine, since my batteries only hold about 7.5 kw. Wind usually kicks up when there is no sun. So, if I can get ten hour of wind generating at 100w, that is very, very helpful in that calculation, and so far it tends to do that or more. Plus, it's fun. Solar has no moving parts (one of it's advantages, but less entertaining).

So, my practical experience is that it can be very beneficial if, like everything else here, the source exists (be it sunlight, wind or water), and you design it right to meet your goals. Granted, on the very simple comparison, in most longitudes on the small scale, solar will win head to head, in terms of energy produced per dollar. But that is a limited if not entirely false comparison when one benefit you seek is diversification of energy sources given limited storage. In that situation, it can be helpful to have a secondary source that tends to be productive in times when your primary is not. It can be smaller, and more trouble and cost per watt produced, with the understanding that not all watts are of equal value, as they are worth more during periods of scarcity (cloudy days, short days, etc. on solar).

So, the OP's question remains, can he use a step up device from a 12v turbine to a 24v battery? I've wondered the same thing. Anyone know?
                Last edited by KMac; 05-10-2017, 08:57 PM.

Comment

• bcroe
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jan 2012

Originally posted by KMac
                  So, the OP's question remains, can he use a step up device from a 12v turbine to a 24v battery? I've wondered the same thing. Anyone know?
                  You need a 12V to 24V DC transformer. In fact this can be done (bidirectionally) using a switched capacitor converter. I haven't
                  seen it done on this scale, good project for someone to design. Bruce Roe

Comment

• jflorey2
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by KMac
                    So, my practical experience is that it can be very beneficial if, like everything else here, the source exists (be it sunlight, wind or water), and you design it right to meet your goals.
                    Glad it's working for you.
                    Sure, there are several ways to do it. The Genasun charge controller is probably the "safest" - it will output a set voltage and its MPPT tracker won't bog down the turbine or cause voltage collapse. The GVB-8 would probably work.

A true doubler is another way to do it - but you need good 12V regulation on the turbine output (i.e. it really needs to output a solid 13.8 -14.2 volts or similar appropriate charge voltage) because all it does is double voltage. Solar Converters Inc used to make a very simple bidirectional doubler but I haven't seen it around recently.

Comment

• Sean_Ork
                      • Sep 2016

...... it will output a set voltage and its MPPT tracker won't bog down the turbine or cause voltage collapse. The GVB-8 would probably work.
                      Just for clarity, could you confirm that you are suggesting that a MPPT charge controller (which carries out the MPPT automatically) is suitable for connection to a wind turbine ?

Comment

• Mike90250
                        • May 2009

Some are compatible, some are not. Generally, they have a IV profile that suits PV panels. Midnight Classic has replacement IV tables for several models of turbines, But turbines have to be used with a charge controller AND a breaking system.
                        A simple MPPT controller, reduces load when the batteries are full. If some sort of breaking system (mechanical brakes, or electronic loading) is not applied, the turbine speeds un-loaded till it self-destructs, from bearing failure or centrifugal force. If the battery is used as the load, then the battery becomes over charged and is damaged.
                        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sean_Ork
                          • Sep 2016

Originally posted by Mike90250
                          Some are compatible, some are not. Generally, they have a IV profile that suits PV panels. Midnight Classic has replacement IV tables for several models of turbines, But turbines have to be used with a charge controller AND a breaking system.
                          A simple MPPT controller, reduces load when the batteries are full. If some sort of breaking system (mechanical brakes, or electronic loading) is not applied, the turbine speeds un-loaded till it self-destructs, from bearing failure or centrifugal force. If the battery is used as the load, then the battery becomes over charged and is damaged.
                          Indeed, that is the case - I'm pondering how jflorey2 is envisaging how that controller he suggested be configured.

Comment

• jflorey2
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Sean_Ork
                            Just for clarity, could you confirm that you are suggesting that a MPPT charge controller (which carries out the MPPT automatically) is suitable for connection to a wind turbine ?
                            Some are. The Genasun charge controller, for example, will not do any braking - so if you want to use that you either have to make sure your turbine doesn't need braking (like the Air-X) or you have a separate braking system. Also the Genasun will assume solar, and will not do as good a job tracking the output of a wind turbine.

Note that controllers that have "wind" modes, like the Midnite Classic, have separate modes with separate settings for wind; they also have an aux output that can be used to drive a brake. But they will not boost.

Comment

• tverdok
                              • May 2017

Some are. The Genasun charge controller, for example, will not do any braking - so if you want to use that you either have to make sure your turbine doesn't need braking (like the Air-X) or you have a separate braking system. Also the Genasun will assume solar, and will not do as good a job tracking the output of a wind turbine.

Note that controllers that have "wind" modes, like the Midnite Classic, have separate modes with separate settings for wind; they also have an aux output that can be used to drive a brake. But they will not boost.
                              So, I could take a 24volt, 400watt three phase AC turbine that does it's own breaking and connect to Gerasun GVB-8 48volt and 48volt battery bank? And since the turbine does it's own breaking, I wouldn't need a dump load? Would be awesome if this is the case.

Comment

Working...