Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bobby78
    • Oct 2015

A question about 10amp Solar charge controller

I have a cheap 10 amp pwm Solar charge controller specs here (https://www.solorder.se/image/data/uploads/KLD1210.pdf)

My load is around 5 amp and I have 12v 7ah battery

And I want to attach a 5amp power supply to this charge controller (to simulate solar cell and accommodate my load)

My question is this small battery only needs 2amp maximum for charging but when I attach a 5amp power supply is it going to cook my battery? or the charge controller will adjust itself or If I have to attach 2 amp power supply ?

Thanks,
    Last edited by bobby78; 04-17-2017, 07:00 AM.
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

A solar charge controller is just that. Using any other type of DC power source will probably hurt the charge controller as well as the battery.

IMO it would be simpler to just use a DC battery charger that works with your battery.

A solar panel is a current source not a voltage source that 5 amp power supply is.
    Last edited by SunEagle; 04-17-2017, 08:56 AM. Reason: added last sentence

Comment

• bobby78
      • Oct 2015

Originally posted by SunEagle
      A solar charge controller is just that. Using any other type of DC power source will probably hurt the charge controller as well as the battery.

IMO it would be simpler to just use a DC battery charger that works with your battery.

A solar panel is a current source not a voltage source that 5 amp power supply is.

Many thanks for the reply

Actually I was trying to make an easy DIY 12V DC ups system and solar charge controller has everything inside except I need some alternate to Solar cell , Can you suggest which type of off the shelf power supply will not make any harm to it?

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by bobby78
        My load is around 5 amp and I have 12v 7ah battery
        That ought to tell you something is wrong. Your 7 AH battery can only supply up to 0.7 Amps and you are forcing it to supply 5 amps. That is only going to work for a couple of minutes.

If you have a 5 amp load running 24 hours per day, you need a 120 AH battery.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by bobby78

Many thanks for the reply

Actually I was trying to make an easy DIY 12V DC ups system and solar charge controller has everything inside except I need some alternate to Solar cell , Can you suggest which type of off the shelf power supply will not make any harm to it?

Unfortunately the charger in a UPS system is designed for a specific battery type, Ah rating and charging characteristics. Most cheap battery chargers do not have that type of control system and may overcharge or cook a battery because it is stupid.

I am sure you can build a DIY UPS from parts but if it is important to provide power to something, then I would just invest in a small UPS system since they are relatively cheap.
          Last edited by SunEagle; 04-17-2017, 11:22 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...