I'm new, need help with a Solar Powered Window AC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm new, need help with a Solar Powered Window AC

I'm completely new to solar panels, and i'm wanting to power a window AC unit with solar power, what exactly do I need such as hardware,solar panels, everything to make this project work.
    Planning on doing it this summer

The AC i'm going to get(Only going to need to cool a single 12'x9' room):
    A/C Cooling Rate (BTU/hr) 6000 Decibel Rating (Outdoor) 60 dBA
    A/C Coverage Area (sq. ft.) 260 Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER) 11.3
    Air Conditioner Product Type Window Unit Filter Type Washable
    Air direction/circulation 2-way Filter light reminder Yes
    Amperage (amps) 4.9 Heater included No
    Automatic shutoff No Number of Fan Speeds 3
    BTU Cooling Rating 6000 Number of cool settings 3
    BTU Heat Rating 0 Btu Product Weight (lb.) 50lb
    Color White Remote Control Yes
    Color Family White Sleep setting No
    Controls Digital Timer Yes
    Decibel Rating 54 dBA Voltage (volts) 115
    Decibel Rating (Indoor) 54 dBA

Hello extern56 and welcome to Solar Panel Talk

Before someone comes by and helps you size your very expensive solar powered system for your air conditioner, can you provide a little information first.

What is your reason to power your AC unit using solar?

Do you have grid power to the building that the AC unit is going into and what is the cost/kWh that you are charged for grid power?

The reason I am asking you this is because a solar pv system can save you money but unless you have very high electric rates it will take years to pay off the solar equipment. If you are thinking about building an off grid system that includes batteries your will probably never save enough to pay for your equipment as compared to just using grid power to run the AC unit.

Comment

Ok piece of cake and you will love it. Your unit is 6000 BTU / 11.3 EER = 530 watts.

Assumptions:

Location Kansas City
      Run Window Shaker 10 hours per day 5300 watt hours
      11-cents Kwh POCO retail cost for Kansas City
      5.3 Kwh per day or about 60-cents per day in Kansas City

Panel Wattage = 2000 watts or around $3000 to $4000
      80 Amp MPPT Controller = $600
      24 volt 1100 AH battery that weighs around 1500 pounds and will cost you $3900 today and more in 3 years when you replace it.
      1000 watt True Sine Wave Inverter. around $500 for one that can actually run a Window Shaker
      $2500 for material and hardware to make it work
      Total around $7000 to $8000

Stay cool and have fun. Or you could just pay that greedy ole power company $20/month or $100/year to stay cool in summer.
      Last edited by Sunking; 03-20-2017, 07:44 PM.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
        Stay cool and have fun. Or you could just pay that greedy ole
        power company $20/month or $100/year to stay cool in summer.
        He can use it in the winter too. Bruce Roe

Comment

Take the money and buy a mini split. Then its year round heat and cool. Far more efficient than a window shaker and looks a heck of lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post
            He can use it in the winter too. Bruce Roe
            I would hope so after wasting all that money. OP if you are connected to the grid, forget about off-grid battery. If you have money to burn a Window Shaker is very inefficient. That is why they are cheap. The Window Shaker you listed has a EER of 11.3 which is piss poor. A split mini-split EER is 20+ which means it is twice as efficient. They even make them for 24 and 48 volt DC Battery if you insist on wasting a lot of money and paying 10 times more for electricity. But be ready for sticker shock. Your Window Shaker likely cost you $200 or less. A mini-split will be 10 times or more that price.
            Last edited by Sunking; 03-21-2017, 04:20 PM.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post

I would hope so after wasting all that money. OP if you are connected to the grid, forget about off-grid battery. If you have money to burn a Window Shaker is very inefficient. That is why they are cheap. The Window Shaker you listed has a EER of 11.3 which is piss poor. A split mini-split EER is 20+ which means it is twice as efficient. They even make them for 24 and 48 volt DC Battery if you insist on wasting a lot of money and paying 10 times more for electricity. But be ready for sticker shock. Your Window Shaker likely cost you $200 or less. A mini-split will be 10 times or more that price.
              Still bursting bubbles I see... LOL
              [CENTER]SunLight @ Night[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
              X