48v air x wind turbine charging a 24v battery bank?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fabieville
    • Jun 2015

48v air x wind turbine charging a 24v battery bank?

Can i used a 48v air x wind turbine to charge a 24v battery. The air x has a built in 48v charge controller and i am wondering if connecting the dc output wires to the 24v battery bank will it commence charging? Or does it need 48v battery to activate the circuit or will it detect the 24v battery as been too low than the 48v battery and still commence charging trying to bring up the 24v battery which in theory would not reach up to 48v so the air x would just be always in a charging mode?

• SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

My guess is that using a 24v rated battery connected to that 48v rated wind turbine / charging system will either not work or hurt the battery by over charging it.

Comment

• jflorey2
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by fabieville
      Can i used a 48v air x wind turbine to charge a 24v battery. The air x has a built in 48v charge controller and i am wondering if connecting the dc output wires to the 24v battery bank will it commence charging? Or does it need 48v battery to activate the circuit or will it detect the 24v battery as been too low than the 48v battery and still commence charging trying to bring up the 24v battery which in theory would not reach up to 48v
      If you charge it long enough the battery will indeed reach 48 volts. It will be completely destroyed by that point, of course.

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by jflorey2
        If you charge it long enough the battery will indeed reach 48 volts. It will be completely destroyed by that point, of course.
        Something like putting 7 lbs into a 5 lb bag.

Comment

• littleharbor
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2016

7 lbs. of.....?
          I bet you could get 7 Lbs. of lead, but not 7 lbs. of feathers.
          2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• fabieville
            • Jun 2015

I would therefore have to connect the output of the 48v air x to a 24v dc wind charge controller, then that in turn connect to the 24v battery and that way the 24v controller would regulate the charge coming from the 48v output?

Comment

• fabieville
              • Jun 2015

I am planning to remove my controller then have just 3 phase ac coming down.

I am seeing on the internet where there is 3 wires coming from the stator coil going to the rectifier block for all the air x models but in my 48v one i have 6 sets of wires going to the recitifer block. I notice that they are 3 different wire sizes also.

They are configured this way. 2 of the wires are kiss together going to one set of diodes, another 2 is also kiss together going to a next set of diodes and the next two wires remaining each of them go to the 2 remaining set of diodes.

I am kinda confused as to why there is so many wires coming from the stator? also they are 3 different sizes. Why is this so?

I am trying to figure out a way to utilize all of my 6 wires and get 3 phase from them so that i can connect them to the 3 brushes after removing out the controller circuit but whenever i used all of them there is a binding up of the turbine and it creates a shorts. If I leave out one of the wires by not kissing it with one of the phases then it doesn't happen but would i lose some current/voltage doing this and if so which wire would best to leave out, the smallest gauge one? Is there a way to use all 6 wires and get 3 phase coming out?

Comment

• jflorey2
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by fabieville
                I would therefore have to connect the output of the 48v air x to a 24v dc wind charge controller, then that in turn connect to the 24v battery and that way the 24v controller would regulate the charge coming from the 48v output?
                No. If you have a "24V generator" then the charge controller is probably built in. You'd remove that charge controller and replace it with a 48V charge controller. (Might have to rewind the turbine as well.) Two charge controllers in series is generally not going to work well.
                I am seeing on the internet where there is 3 wires coming from the stator coil going to the rectifier block for all the air x models but in my 48v one i have 6 sets of wires going to the recitifer block.
                Are they all coming from the stator? Most commonly you'd see 2 wires going to the field winding on an alternator (i.e. to the rotor) and then 3 wires going to the diodes. If they are all coming from the stator you might be seeing two sets of windings optimized for two different voltages (i.e. two different speeds.) I haven't seen that before in any wind machines tho.
                Last edited by jflorey2; 03-04-2017, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Working...