Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Diggar
    • Aug 2016

Is Sunedison Gone?

My panels were leased from SunEdison. I have been trying to find some definite information on the net about them. Are they gone for good? What does that mean for my panels? Thanks
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Originally posted by Diggar
    My panels were leased from SunEdison. I have been trying to find some definite information on the net about them. Are they gone for good? What does that mean for my panels? Thanks
    When a company goes under, it's assets (leases) are sold, so it's a wild guess as to who actually holds the lease now. But if you miss a payment, you will find out real quick !!
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Mike90250
      When a company goes under, it's assets (leases) are sold, so it's a wild guess as to who actually holds the lease now. But if you miss a payment, you will find out real quick !!
      If SunEdison is like a lot of other outfits, they bundle the leases and sell them off, sometime/often with local vendors getting the service contracts.

Comment

• Diggar
        • Aug 2016

That's exactly what I'm trying to find out. I just bought a house with solar. The original owners had solar put in with Sun Edison. They paid it all up front.

So now one of the inverters is having an issue and I'm trying to find out who may be contacted for repair. The system is only 5 years old and a friend of mine who sells solar told me they should still be under warranty but by whom? How do I find that out?

Comment

• peakbagger
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jun 2010

Odds are Sun Edison leased installations were bundled into a package and sold to Terraform power. Its complicated financial mess but essentially Sun Edison set up Terraform as a separate holding company so when Sun Edison crashed and burned all the creditors got was an empty shell with plenty of liabilities and few assets. The reall long term revenue from leases are in Terraform's books. Terraform Power is strictly a financial holding company and expect they have no resources to support existing installations. I expect like many a sinking ship, the "rats" have all scurried away.

I expect warranty labor is not going to happen but you "may" get lucky if on the equipment if its known brand that was independent of the Sun Edison scam.

Comment

• azdave
            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Diggar
            The original owners had solar put in with Sun Edison. They paid it all up front.
            The warranty is included within the equipment sales agreement which is written to whoever buys the equipment.

Did they have a warranty that was transferrable? Many warranties are not transferable from the original owner and if they are transferrable, you still probably have to file paperwork to register as the new owner.

I consider any warranties on my solar equipment to become sketchy at 5-6 years down the road. Who knows if a solar company will be around that long and even if they are, do you think they will not make you jump through hoops for 12 month or more before denying the claim?

Dave W. Gilbert AZ
            6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

Working...