• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

COLONOSCOPY .... The HUMOROUS Side

This is from newshound Dave Barry's colonoscopy journal:

I called my friend Andy Sable, a gastroenterologist, to make an appointment for a colonoscopy. A few days later, in his office, Andy showed me a color diagram of the colon, a lengthy organ that appears to go all over the place, at one point passing briefly through Minneapolis.

Then Andy explained the colonoscopy procedure to me in a thorough, reassuring and patient manner.

I nodded thoughtfully, but I didn't really hear anything he said, because my brain was shrieking, quote,
    'HE'S GOING TO STICK A TUBE 17,000 FEET UP YOUR BEHIND!'

I left Andy's office with some written instructions and a prescription for a product called 'MoviPrep,' which comes in a box large enough to hold a microwave oven. I will discuss MoviPrep in detail later; for now suffice it to say that we must never allow it to fall into the hands of America's enemies.

I spent the next several days productively sitting around being nervous. Then, on the day before my colonoscopy, I began my preparation. In accordance with my instructions, I didn't eat any solid food that day; all I had was chicken broth, which is basically water, only with less flavor.

Then, in the evening, I took the MoviPrep. You mix two packets of powder together in a one-liter plastic jug, then you fill it with lukewarm water. (For those unfamiliar with the metric system, a liter is about 32 gallons.) Then you have to drink the whole jug.

This takes about an hour, because MoviPrep tastes - and here I am being kind - like a mixture of goat spit and urinal cleanser, with just a hint of lemon.

The instructions for MoviPrep, clearly written by somebody with a great sense of humor, state that after you drink it, 'a loose, watery bowel movement may result.' This is kind of like saying that after you jump off your roof you may experience contact with the ground.

MoviPrep is a nuclear laxative. I don't want to be too graphic here but:

Have you ever seen a space-shuttle launch? This is pretty much the MoviPrep experience, with you as the shuttle. There are times when you wish the commode had a seat belt.
    You spend several hours pretty much confined to the bathroom, spurting violently. You eliminate everything. And then, when you figure you must be totally empty,
    You have to drink another liter of MoviPrep at which point, as far as I can tell, your bowels travel into the future and start eliminating food that you have not even eaten yet.

After an action-packed evening, I finally got to sleep. The next morning my wife drove me to the clinic. I was very nervous. Not only was I worried about the procedure, but I had been experiencing occasional return bouts of MoviPrep spurtage. I was thinking, 'What if I spurt on Andy?' How do you apologize to a friend for something like that?
    Flowers would not be enough.

At the clinic I had to sign many forms acknowledging that I understood and totally agreed with whatever the heck the forms said. Then they led me to a room full of other colonoscopy people, where I went inside a little curtained space and took off my clothes
    and put on one of those hospital garments designed by sadist perverts, the kind that, when you put it on, makes you feel even more naked than when you are actually naked.

Then a nurse named Eddie put a little needle in a vein in my left hand. Ordinarily I would have fainted, but Eddie was very good, and I was already lying down.

Eddie also told me that some people put vodka in their MoviPrep. At first I was ticked off that I hadn't thought of this but then I pondered what would happen if you got yourself too tipsy to make it to the bathroom, so you were staggering around in full Fire Hose Mode. You would have no choice but to burn your house.

When everything was ready, Eddie wheeled me into the procedure room, where Andy was waiting with a nurse and an anesthesiologist. I did not see the 17,000-foot tube, but I knew Andy had it hidden around there somewhere. I was seriously nervous at this point.
    Andy had me roll over on my left side,and the anesthesiologist began hooking something up to the needle in my hand. There was music playing in the room, and I realized that the song was 'Dancing Queen' by ABBA. I remarked to Andy that, of all the songs that could be playing during this particular procedure, 'Dancing Queen' had to be the least appropriate.

'You want me to turn it up?' said Andy, from somewhere behind me. 'Ha ha,' I said. And then it was time, the moment I had been dreading for more than a decade. If you are squeamish, prepare yourself, because I am going to tell you, in explicit detail, exactly what it was like.

I have no idea. Really. I slept through it. One moment, ABBA was yelling 'Dancing Queen, feel the beat of the tambourine,' and the next moment, I was back in the other room, waking up in a very mellow mood.

Andy was looking down at me and asking me how I felt. I felt excellent. I felt even more excellent when Andy told me that it was all over, and that my colon had passed with flying colors.

I have never been prouder of an internal organ.

ABOUT THE WRITER:
    Dave Barry is a Pulitzer Prize-winning
    humor columnist for the Miami Herald.
    MSEE, PE
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

I do that every 5 years which may help explain my attitude around here. I can confirm he pretty much nailed the whole process. Only difference is my first procedure was done with "Adagio For Strings" rearranged and performed as a choral arrangement of Agnus Dei as background mood music.

I've met Dave Berry a couple of times in elevators (long story - my ex's office was very near his office back in Buffalo where he started before he jumped ship to warmer climates. Never mentioned colonoscopies however.
    Last edited by J.P.M.; 02-12-2017, 01:31 PM. Reason: Added the word "first".

Comment

• littleharbor
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2016

It's time for my 2nd one. Funny thing, all the anxiety buildup before the actual procedure really seems unnecessary when it's over. Thank god for drugs.
      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

I have had the pleasure 4 of them now. For those who have not had the pleasure yet, the actual procedure is a piece of cake. It is the day before that is not much fun. Here is my advice. Schedule far enough in advance so you are the first one on the schedule early morning. 7:00 am for me. Regardless of morning or afternoon procedure, the routine the day before is the exact same. After you eat dinner the day before, you get to drink the Kool-Aid and play toilet roulette. All you can have after that point is the Kool-Aid and water. When you get up the next day, trust me you are HUNGRY as a bear. Last thing you want is an afternoon procedure.

As for the procedure, nothing to it. Dr Feel Good says you might feel a little burn in your arm, and the next thing you know, you are in a different room. If nothing is found, takes 15 minutes. Now there can be an embarrassing moment or two, at least for your spouse or friend who goes with you. In recovery, at least in my experience, you are in a large room with other patients. Each patient separated by curtains. The doctor fills you up with compressed air like a balloon. When you move around and get up, all that air escapes out you know where like a Whoopie Cushion. Everyone can hear it. You will think it is funny, good drugs do that.

The good news is as soon as you leave, you get to go to IHOP and pig out on pancakes, eggs, and sausage. The bad news is Dr Feel Good does not give you a 6-Pack of whatever he gave you to go home with. Whatever it is, does not last long. By the time you finish eating your pancakes, your head is clear.

Unfortunately for some, there might be bad news. Colon Rectal cancer is realy bad, and not much good news will ever come from it. My father and uncle had it. Was a very long painful death for my uncle. So much so my dad did not want to put the family through it, and took matters into his own hands. But that is another story. So avoid that and do the drill. It is not that bad. No real pain at all. The most painful part if that is what you want to call it, is getting the IV inserted for Dr Feel Good candy line.
        Last edited by Sunking; 02-12-2017, 02:13 PM.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• littleharbor
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Sunking
          I have had the pleasure 4 of them now. For those who have not had the pleasure yet, the actual procedure is a piece of cake. It is the day before that is not much fun. Here is my advice. Schedule far enough in advance so you are the first one on the schedule early morning. 7:00 am for me. Regardless of morning or afternoon procedure, the routine the day before is the exact same. After you eat dinner the day before, you get to drink the Kool-Aid and play toilet roulette. All you can have after that point is the Kool-Aid and water. When you get up the next day, trust me you are HUNGRY as a bear. Last thing you want is an afternoon procedure.

As for the procedure, nothing to it. Dr Feel Good says you might feel a little burn in your arm, and the next thing you know, you are in a different room. If nothing is found, takes 15 minutes. Now there can be an embarrassing moment or two, at least for your spouse or friend who goes with you. In recovery, at least in my experience, you are in a large room with other patients. Each patient separated by curtains. The doctor fills you up with compressed air like a balloon. When you move around and get up, all that air escapes out you know where like a Whoopie Cushion. Everyone can hear it. You will think it is funny, good drugs do that.

The good news is as soon as you leave, you get to go to IHOP and pig out on pancakes, eggs, and sausage. The bad news is Dr Feel Good does not give you a 6-Pack of whatever he gave you to go home with. Whatever it is, does not last long. By the time you finish eating your pancakes, your head is clear.

Unfortunately for some, there might be bad news. Colon Rectal cancer is realy bad, and not much good news will ever come from it. My father and uncle had it. Was a very long painful death for my uncle. So much so my dad did not want to put the family through it, and took matters into his own hands. But that is another story. So avoid that and do the drill. It is not that bad. No real pain at all. The most painful part if that is what you want to call it, is getting the IV inserted for Dr Feel Good candy line.
          Sunking, Thanks for the detailed explanation. My experience was exactly like that except the Dr. had my apt time wrong so I got to wait, all prepped and ready to go, for an hour and a half. My Mother died from Colon cancer so I don't need any more reason to do this every 5 years, They told me I didn't need to come back for 10 years. I told them I'd be back in 5. After you watch a loved one die from colon cancer you become an advocate for the procedure. Early detection saves lives.
          2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

unless you have insurance. And the Dr takes a biopsy (or 3 in my case). Then it turns from a 100% covered "preventative procedure", to a non-covered diagnostic procedure for about $6K when it's all done and the shouting is over. Took about 3 months for the bills to catch up to me. Only after I had to get attorneys involved, did they (Blue Cross) decide to cover most of it. And I was unconscious when they spent my $ in 20 minutes. Double check your plan BEFORE you go
            But the prep is the worse. Had some soup once, that tasted great, but it was the prep in disguise.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• bcroe
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2012

What I remember last time, they put in the needle which I thought was supposed to put me to sleep. But I'm so hyper,
              anesthesia doesn't work exactly the same for me. Shortly I realized I would be awake, so I just watched the picture
              from the camera on the color screen. It looked fine to me. Then they take you out and act like you're incapacitated;
              eventually taking you out to the parking lot in a wheel chair (probably for their insurance). I tolerated this silliness till
              I was allowed to get up for my ride home. Then I leaped up and took a lap around the parking lot before getting into
              the car. The attendant was astounded.

Shortly the bill came; not a huge deal. I decided to wait till my check arrived in 2 weeks, then pay them off. In a few
              days a new number started showing up on my caller ID (I hardly ever answer the phone). It seemed to be pretty
              persistent, so I did a reverse lookup. It was a COLLECTION AGENCY! Anyway I made the payment as planned,
              and after a while those calls stopped without my ever talking to them. Bruce Roe

Comment

• azdave
                • Oct 2014

I had my first just a few years ago when I turned 50. Complaints about the procedure don't get much traction around here. My wife is 5 years younger than I am but she will soon receive her 14th colonoscopy.
                Dave W. Gilbert AZ
                6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• inetdog
                  Super Moderator
                  • May 2012

I have gotten to watch the TV images of my several colonoscopies. Fascinating.....
                  SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Sunking
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by inetdog
                    I have gotten to watch the TV images of my several colonoscopies. Fascinating.....
                    Yuck! Only my wife and daughter can appreciate that. Both are professional Crotcher Looker Uppers. (OB/GYN)
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

• cebury
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Sep 2011

I've had several. At that time they required self-enemas alone, I think once with the drink also. I spent 30 mins trying to get that tube 'lovingly' into position...-never succeded. Had to call the wife in frustration. But she couldn't without saying 'remember? you need to relax to do this' with a piercing smile of revenge.

After the first time I was rolled into recovery room filled with about dozen patients and literally felt like my intestines were going to explode. I tried getting out of bed but nurses were telling me I hadn't recovered yet off the feel-goodies. Didn't matter, I was going to pop so I almost fainted twice getting up and then walking 5 feet to the restroom in the center of the circular room. I made it to the throne just in time to feel the biggest gust o wind ever.... it lasted so long I fell asleep during it and I think it was still going when I woke up a few seconds later, almost falling over. To my dismay, this was a large bathroom with extra echo'ey tiles everywhere so I exited to laughter and giggles for the next few mins. One nurse shooshed em with 'happens to everyone', the other nurse chimed within a second 'that's gotta be the record'. I wasn't embarrassed because I immediatelg drifted off into my drug induced rest.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by inetdog
                        Seems like the type of thing that befits the quality of U-tube. Any possibilities of a guided tour video any time soon ?
                        Last edited by J.P.M.; 02-13-2017, 11:18 PM.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by cebury
                          I've had several. At that time they required self-enemas alone, I think once with the drink also. I spent 30 mins trying to get that tube 'lovingly' into position...-never succeded. Had to call the wife in frustration. But she couldn't without saying 'remember? you need to relax to do this' with a piercing smile of revenge.

After the first time I was rolled into recovery room filled with about dozen patients and literally felt like my intestines were going to explode. I tried getting out of bed but nurses were telling me I hadn't recovered yet off the feel-goodies. Didn't matter, I was going to pop so I almost fainted twice getting up and then walking 5 feet to the restroom in the center of the circular room. I made it to the throne just in time to feel the biggest gust o wind ever.... it lasted so long I fell asleep during it and I think it was still going when I woke up a few seconds later, almost falling over. To my dismay, this was a large bathroom with extra echo'ey tiles everywhere so I exited to laughter and giggles for the next few mins. One nurse shooshed em with 'happens to everyone', the other nurse chimed within a second 'that's gotta be the record'. I wasn't embarrassed because I immediatelg drifted off into my drug induced rest.
                          Well put.

Comment

• Sunking
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by cebury
                            Well did she get a RUNNING START like you do her?

I feel your pain. I woke up from extreme pain when Dr Pooper filled me up with compressed air. Fortunately Dr Feel Good was quick with more juice.

Hey at least you got to the bathroom. On that same first procedure it happened to me in Recover Room filled with patience when I lifted my leg to put my shorts back on. It embarrassed my friend Jim, but not me. I was still feeling good and belted out COOL MAN like any good drunk would do.
                            Last edited by Sunking; 02-13-2017, 11:44 PM.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

• jflorey2
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by bcroe
                              What I remember last time, they put in the needle which I thought was supposed to put me to sleep. But I'm so hyper,
                              anesthesia doesn't work exactly the same for me. Shortly I realized I would be awake, so I just watched the picture
                              from the camera on the color screen. It looked fine to me.
                              Yep. I've had bad reactions to conscious sedation so I skip it. My first one was at around age 26 due to "deceleration injuries" and they found nothing; the second one was pretty recently and they took a biopsy. I was glad I was awake during it, because if I had been out I would have worried until the results came back. But since I was awake I saw what they biopsied and it looked like nothing at all; they were just being cautious.

Comment

Working...