Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ko4nrbs
    • Mar 2016

Small LiFePO4 Charging Abandoned

My search for a safe and reliable LiFePO4 Solar charger was unsuccessful. I found a few that advertised the ability to Solar charge LiFePO4 cells but upon further investigation, I wasn't comfortable with their Float charge voltage.

Decided to just go ahead and use Lithium Ion 18650 cells and this charger:
    Make your projects to go green this summer with our specialized USB/Solar Lithium Ion Polymer Battery charger! This charger is a very unique design, perfect for outdoor projects, or DIY iPod chargers. We've spent over a year testing and tinkering with this charger to come up with a plug and play solution to charging batteries with the sun and we're really pleased with what we ended up with.

Note from the manufacturer:
    In marginal solar conditions, the board will charge intermittently. If there is not enough solar energy to charge the LiPo continuously, it allows the large capacitor to build-up a charge, then transfers that to the LiPo.

At their suggestion, I will connect my Digital camera as suggested:
    Another approach is to bypass the load-sharing circuitry and connect your load to the GND and B+ pins. That will effectively put your load in parallel with the battery.

Now to find a good outdoor and waterproof 6 volt Solar Panel.

Bill
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Bill, me conflused. You open with:
    My search for a safe and reliable LiFePO4 Solar charger was unsuccessful. I found a few that advertised the ability to Solar charge LiFePO4 cells but upon further investigation, I wasn't comfortable with their Float charge voltage.My search for a safe and reliable LiFePO4 Solar charger was unsuccessful.
    Next paragraph you say"

So you found a solar charge you are going to buy that can charge LFP or LCO 18650 cells. You got exactly what you were looking for.

I did not look at the Adafruit controller specs, but I suspect it is a Float Charger your set for 3.6 volts if using LiFePo4, and 4.2 if LCO. It is shuts off or terminates the charge when the battery is fully charged OK. But if they Float maybe be an issue. Lithium batteries do not like being held at full charge voltage after reaching full charge. For your purpose you do want to Float but at some voltage less than 3.6 volts. Ideally you would like something variable you can control a bit like adjustable 3.4 to 3.6 volts. 3.45 seems to be a good number for several manufactures like A123 System that recommend their 18650 cells at 3.45 volts per cell.

I suspect it would be easy to Hack the Adafruit controller to customize the voltage. Hell that is what Adafruit is all about. I use to use their Uno a bit, but moved on to Teensy 3.2 and up. So you might want to look into it.
    Last edited by Sunking; 01-31-2017, 12:03 AM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by ko4nrbs
      My search for a safe and reliable LiFePO4 Solar charger was unsuccessful. I found a few that advertised the ability to Solar charge LiFePO4 cells but upon further investigation, I wasn't comfortable with their Float charge voltage.

Make your projects to go green this summer with our specialized USB/Solar Lithium Ion Polymer Battery charger! This charger is a very unique design, perfect for outdoor projects, or DIY iPod chargers. We've spent over a year testing and tinkering with this charger to come up with a plug and play solution to charging batteries with the sun and we're really pleased with what we ended up with.

Note from the manufacturer:
      In marginal solar conditions, the board will charge intermittently. If there is not enough solar energy to charge the LiPo continuously, it allows the large capacitor to build-up a charge, then transfers that to the LiPo.

At their suggestion, I will connect my Digital camera as suggested:
      Another approach is to bypass the load-sharing circuitry and connect your load to the GND and B+ pins. That will effectively put your load in parallel with the battery.

Now to find a good outdoor and waterproof 6 volt Solar Panel.

Bill
      You do understand that those little Lithium batteries really do not have much of a life cycle in terms of daily usage.

I have gone through about a dozen of them (they power my 808 keychain cameras) due to no longer holding a charge after many uses. They are nice an compact but IMO have a short life.

Comment

• ko4nrbs
        • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Sunking
        Bill, me conflused. You open with:

Next paragraph you say"

So you found a solar charge you are going to buy that can charge LFP or LCO 18650 cells. You got exactly what you were looking for.

I did not look at the Adafruit controller specs, but I suspect it is a Float Charger your set for 3.6 volts if using LiFePo4, and 4.2 if LCO. It is shuts off or terminates the charge when the battery is fully charged OK. But if they Float maybe be an issue. Lithium batteries do not like being held at full charge voltage after reaching full charge. For your purpose you do want to Float but at some voltage less than 3.6 volts. Ideally you would like something variable you can control a bit like adjustable 3.4 to 3.6 volts. 3.45 seems to be a good number for several manufactures like A123 System that recommend their 18650 cells at 3.45 volts per cell.

I suspect it would be easy to Hack the Adafruit controller to customize the voltage. Hell that is what Adafruit is all about. I use to use their Uno a bit, but moved on to Teensy 3.2 and up. So you might want to look into it.
        They told me it was only good for charging Lithium Ion cells and shuts off the charge at 4.2 volts. I'm ok with that and will forget about the LiFePO4 cells for now.

Now to locate a good and reliable 6 volt Solar Panel.

Bill

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by ko4nrbs
          They told me it was only good for charging Lithium Ion cells and shuts off the charge at 4.2 volts. I'm ok with that and will forget about the LiFePO4 cells for now.
          Bill you still might be confused.

18650 cells are available in both LiFeP04 (LFP or lithium iron phosphate) 3.6 volts, and LiCoO2 (LCO or lithium cobalt oxide) 4.2 volts. All 18650 means is the dimension of the cell they are contained in of 18 mm diameter and 650 mm long. It does not tell you what is inside. In fact there are 5 possibilities, LFP, LCO, LTO, LMO, and NMC.

The charger you linked to has two charge voltages available of 3.6 volts for LFP cell, and 4.2 volts for LCO, LMO, and NMC. So if you want LFP order LFP 18650 cells and a 3.2 volt charger.

If 1860 are not large enough use 23650's in LFP and use a 3.6 volt chargers. LFP is the easiest most forgiving to charge, fairly safe, with fairly long cycle life. If given the choice charge at 3.45 volts as that will double cycle life and only gives up 5 to 10% capacity.

Hope that helps.
          Last edited by Sunking; 02-01-2017, 03:12 PM.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• ko4nrbs
            • Mar 2016

The charger you linked to has two charge voltages available of 3.2 volts for LFP cell, and 4.2 volts for LCO, LMO, and NMC. So if you want LFP order LFP 18650 cells and a 3.2 volt charger.
            This is what I saw in the description: Am I missing something?
            3.7V/4.2V Lithium Ion or Lithium Polymer battery charger

Thanks for the explanations!!

Bill

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

I had a brain fart. LFP is charged at 3.6 volts. Nominal is 3.2 volts.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

• ko4nrbs
                • Mar 2016

I had a brain fart. LFP is charged at 3.6 volts. Nominal is 3.2 volts.
                Been there and done that!! I do appreciate your feedback.

The following are some small and inexpensive USB chargers some are using with Solar Panels. I found lots of info on this web browsing.
                These are used because they don't have settings in the Firmware that have to be manually set before they will begin a charge.

This one is the latest version of the Miller ML102 and takes only Unprotected cells due to a size restriction!!
                Miller ML-102 (Latest is Version 8) Will avoid Version 7 after reading it's review!!
                Charger ML-102 V8.0 2015 This charger is a very small 18650 charger, it need an external USB power source to charge, and can also work as a USB charger / power bank. It only charges one battery at a time. The charger has been on the market a long time with frequent updates. First time I looked at it, it was good, second time it was bad, what is the score this time? I got the charger in a envelope without any accessories. The charger has a micro usb connector for power i...

Xtar MC1
                http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review%20Charg...20MC1%20UK.html
                Xtar MC1 Plus
                http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review%20Charg...1Plus%20UK.html
                Xtar XP1
                http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review%20Charg...20XP1%20UK.html

NiMh Charging (I will avoid Solar charging NiMh)
                From the web:
                When it comes to charging NiMH cells, I strongly recommend that you use a buffer battery, because the -dV/dt algorithm used by NiMh smart chargers is not very tolerant of interruptions in power, especially when a NiMH cell is approaching full charge.

If a cloud passes in front of the sun, you don't have a buffer battery and the NiMH charger resets, it can lose track of the recorded voltage it needs to spot the -dV/dt endpoint. This can cause your cells to be overcharged, reducing their capacity and service life.

Bill

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

If you use a Buffer Battery, you do not need any other battery like NiMh or LFP. You just take a 30% loss of power doing that. Use a regular 12 volt battery, and then use a voltage converter to what ever voltage you need. A lot less expensive and less complicated. Hell you can even find drop in replacements 12 volt LFP batteries that can use any off the shelf solar charger. Think outside the box.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

• ko4nrbs
                    • Mar 2016

If you use a Buffer Battery, you do not need any other battery like NiMh or LFP. You just take a 30% loss of power doing that. Use a regular 12 volt battery, and then use a voltage converter to what ever voltage you need. A lot less expensive and less complicated. Hell you can even find drop in replacements 12 volt LFP batteries that can use any off the shelf solar charger. Think outside the box.
                    Good idea. Thanks.
                    Bill

Comment

Working...