X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aksinteractive
    • Mar 2011

Supplemental Solar Power In My House

Hi

I read your post on this topic, I do not know much on this but it help me out in understanding the Supplements of Solar Power.

Thanks

Comment

• russ
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2009

Hi interactive -

Supplementary power -

1) you have 3 types of systems,

a) grid connect where in the event you produce more than you consume it feeds to the grid

b) off grid where you use batteries and most likely a generator to guarantee the batteries are maintained and to provide power during a storm

c) Hybrid system where you are grid connected but have batteries as well. In the event of a power outage you have power from the batteries.

Power from grid connected is the least expensive and easiest to maintain.

Any system with batteries will cost you more to begin and you lose considerable efficiency for whatever power goes to the batteries.

To connect to the grid all equipment must be UL (or equivalent) approved. The utility will most likely make very sure it is before they allow the connection.

Grid connects without the proper permits and utility approval is not legal and in the event you are caught (which is very likely) you would be disconnected and then be really off grid.

Russ

For homeowners insurance most likely all equipment has to have the same approval.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• tcombest
        • Feb 2011

I would be interested to know anyone's opinion on the All American Grid Tie System at www.wholesalesolar.com website. Im looking at the 5880 Watt Grid Tie system for $19,975. I assume, with their 10% discount, then a 30% tax rebate, the total cost of this system would be $12,584. Im sure there would be some shipping. Does this system look pretty good for a package grid tie system and are there any other major costs (other than mounting equipment) that I'm not seeing? It looks like this would be a complete system for $2.17 per watt. Thanks.

Comment

• russ
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2009

Looks good to me but I am not the expert - others will better comment.

Click on the 'forum' button and then kook at the right hand side of the page for Federal & State Incentives.

Possibly your utility has a program you can take advantage of as well.

The panel web site says racking is about 70$ per panel.

Russ
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• tcombest
            • Feb 2011

Ill check out the incentives. Another thing..... my insurance company says if the panels are attached to the roof, they will be covered under my homeowners insurance for hail. But if they are mounted out in the yard, they are not covered. Go figure! Does anyone out there have any comments on insurance coverage?

Comment

• russ
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2009

Only that you want to make sure they are included in your policy.

Maybe panels separate from the house could be covered by a rider or extension of the homeowners policy. I expect they are concerned about theft.

What you don't want to hear from your insurance company is, 'You didn't tell us about solar panels'.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• wadahail
                • Apr 2018

This is what OP wanted to do
                He wants to OFFSET his power usage with solar, but not have to go thru the hassle and large cost of a grid-tied system. Just offsetting the usage, especially, during PEAK HOURS where the rates are 4x the standard rate. I'm trying to do the same, so that I may use the Central AC comfortably during peak hours without worrying about a large bill.

Here's a product that is readily available.

Can we use the smaller 1000W inverters, and plugs into the outlet instead?

MOD NOTE: removed links to illegal "plug in" type inverters. Please do not post that information on this site.
                Last edited by SunEagle; 04-17-2018, 10:48 AM. Reason: Removed links and added Mod Note.

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by wadahail
                  He wants to OFFSET his power usage with solar, but not have to go thru the hassle and large cost of a grid-tied system. Just offsetting the usage, especially, during PEAK HOURS where the rates are 4x the standard rate. I'm trying to do the same, so that I may use the Central AC comfortably during peak hours without worrying about a large bill.

MOD NOTE: removed links to illegal "plug in" type inverters. Please do not post that information on this site.
                  It is illegal to use a Plug In type inverter in the US and Canada. Please do not post that info here. If you are connecting to the POCO's grid you must play by their rules.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Apr 2014

He wants to OFFSET his power usage with solar, but not have to go thru the hassle and large cost of a grid-tied system.

Here's a illegal product that is readily available.

Some people would like to remove large amounts of cash from the bank but not go through the hassle and cost of setting up an account and depositing money first.....
                    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• wadahail
                      • Apr 2018

Plug and Play solar kits are sold by a US company, in US, and for the US market. I don't think it is illegal. The amount of power generated by these are too little, and will be consumed 100%, so they won't affect the grid.

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

Plug and Play solar kits are sold by a US company, in US, and for the US market. I don't think it is illegal. The amount of power generated by these are too little, and will be consumed 100%, so they won't affect the grid.
                        It doesn't matter who sells that equipment, unless they have a UL Listing they are not recognized as legal equipment that can be connected to the grid. The amount of power generated has nothing to do with the legality of grid tie equipment. And they could back feed the grid if for some reason your consumption goes below what that stuff puts out.

You have been told and warned not to post links showing that equipment so please stop or get a long vacation.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Apr 2014

Plug and Play solar kits are sold by a US company, in US, and for the US market.
                          Yes Yes and Yes However it is legal to sell them but NOT legal to use them on the US grid.

Lots of things are sold that are not legal to use in a particular fashion.
                          BTW some of them state that they are based on a UL listed inverter BUT as soon as they put a plug on the inverter it voids the UL listing.

I don't think it is illegal.
                          Sure you do not, but what you think does not matter. It is still illegal to plug it into the grid.

The amount of power generated by these are too little, and will be consumed 100%, so they won't affect the grid.
                          How much they generated makes ZERO difference
                          Where the power is consumed also makes zero difference

OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• SunEagle
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

Yes. The product mentioned "All Equipment is UL listed" and "Eligible for 30% Federal Tax credit", which proves the product is LEGAL. Why are you blocking people from learning and evaluating it?
                            Clearly you have other motives rather than promoting and exploring solar knowledge.
                            My only motive is to make sure everyone that comes to this Forum follows the safety codes for their area. If you believe that all advertising is truthful then I am sorry for you.

Comment

• Mike90250
                              • May 2009

All electrical components contained within the Plug-n-Play unit are UL listed. The unit as a whole is not UL listed.
                              Whoops. That's a red flag
                              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Feb 2010

You dig up a 7 year old to SPAM. Mods just NUKE the SOB and be done with it.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...