X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And to think, people (not speaking of anyone on this forum) were calling me nuts for not using a lightning arrester.
    Paul

Comment

I hope my question is correct in the this thread, because it is regarding lightning protection. I've read there is a difference between a direct and induced lightning impact https://www.streamer-electric.com/pr...rying-solution, could someone explain it here to me, please? Is induced lightning protection the same as surge protection?

Comment

Originally posted by Kot Basil View Post
        I hope my question is correct in the this thread, because it is regarding lightning protection. I've read there is a difference between a direct and induced lightning impact https://www.streamer-electric.com/pr...rying-solution, could someone explain it here to me, please? Is induced lightning protection the same as surge protection?
        If your gear takes a 'direct' lightning strike, it is likely going to be trashed. Period.

If there is a nearby lightning strike which induces eddy currents on your conductors, there may be preventative measures you could take that will lessen the damage.

I have two lightning rod towers up over my photovoltaic array. In the hope that if direct strikes happen in this area those strikes will go to one or both of my towers. As a previous poster said, a tower provides you an inverted 'cone' of protection.

I served as an Electronic Tech on submarines for 20-years. Before I could bring any of my gear up out of a sub onto the pier, we had to ensure that the pier had lightning rods above the pier every 40 feet. So walking on the pier underneath those rods was 'protected' from any direct strikes.

Protection from induced lightning could be in the form of voltage surge protectors.

4400w, Midnite Classic 150 charge-controller.

Comment

Originally posted by organic farmer View Post

If your gear takes a 'direct' lightning strike, it is likely going to be trashed. Period.

If there is a nearby lightning strike which induces eddy currents on your conductors, there may be preventative measures you could take that will lessen the damage.

I have two lightning rod towers up over my photovoltaic array. In the hope that if direct strikes happen in this area those strikes will go to one or both of my towers. As a previous poster said, a tower provides you an inverted 'cone' of protection.

I served as an Electronic Tech on submarines for 20-years. Before I could bring any of my gear up out of a sub onto the pier, we had to ensure that the pier had lightning rods above the pier every 40 feet. So walking on the pier underneath those rods was 'protected' from any direct strikes.

Protection from induced lightning could be in the form of voltage surge protectors.
          Thank you for such a clear explanation.

Comment

Working...
          X