X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DanKegel
    Banned
    • Sep 2014

"RPS 2.0" proposal - adds idea of "CPS" or "clean peak standard"

The "RPS" (renewable portfolio standard) is a bit of a blunt instrument; it requires
    renewable energy, but doesn't care when during the day it's generated, which
    can lead to overgeneration during the middle of the day.
    Arizona has a proposal for requiring some of the clean energy to be delivered when it's most needed:

Excerpt:
    "Renewable Portfolio Standards (RPS) have been fundamental to jump-starting the renewable energy (RE) industry, accounting for over 60% of the growth in RE generation since 2000. However, the simple MWh based approach used by traditional RPS policies does not differentiate between each renewable MWh based on its value to the grid or for reducing fuel consumption. Already some states are experiencing challenges as renewable energy production during certain times is beginning to provide diminished value in terms of reduced fuel consumption or capacity contribution. As states continue to achieve their RPS goals and reach increasingly higher levels of RE penetration, new approaches will likely be needed to guard against diminishing returns of a simple MWh based approach. As a way of encouraging clean energy resources to provide all the necessary attributes of a reliable power system, we propose building upon the traditional RPS framework by adding one or more new supplemental components that would work in parallel with the foundational MWh-based retail sales component. The first and foremost of these new components would be the Clean Peak Standard (CPS). The CPS builds upon the RPS construct, by adding a new dimension whereby a certain percent of energy delivered to customers during peak load hours must be derived from clean energy sources. For example, a 30% CPS would mean that 30% of MWh delivered to customers during a predetermined peak period would need to come from qualifying clean peak resources."

• DanKegel
    Banned
    • Sep 2014

It's a solar related policy proposal from Arizona's Residential Utility Consumer Office, and possibly of interest to folks in Arizona (and policy wonks).
    Seems on-topic to me. I'm sure if a mod disagrees he'll let me know.

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

Dan, as a news item, it's just news. Folks in AZ can dig this up on their own. Yes, utilities are pushing back on solar.

The troubling thing is, you have never added anything constructive to a topic that I can remember.

You are a visionary, floating trial balloons daily, promulgating seemingly random thoughts not based on earth science, and suggesting things that are dangerous to neophytes. When I go to Burning Man, the ticket says: ...I KNOWINGLY AND VOLUNTARILY ASSUME ALL RISK OF PROPERTY LOSS, PERSONAL INJURY, SERIOUS INJURY, OR DEATH, WHICH MAY OCCUR BY ATTENDING THE 2016 BURNING MAN EVENT.....
      We have no such disclaimer on the internet, and when you start chatting with neophytes, they hear your harebrained ideas, and are likely to run off and do damage, or buy a bunch of stuff because you said it could work.

And eventually, I'll get tired of cleaning up topics, and lock them. And when I'm tired of locking them, it's easier to ban you, than to clean up the messes you start,

So, sir, my advice is to choose your shotgun topics carefully, Maybe even get some science under your belt so you are not the perpetual sucker.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...