X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DanKegel
    Banned
    • Sep 2014

Report describing utilities' attack plan on solar power

"Blocking the Sun" is an interesting report on how anti-solar forces are working to reduce the spread of solar energy:

It's a little partisan, but even if you're very pro-fossil-fuel or anti-renewable-energy-subsidy, it might be interesting reading just to see how the various actors are trying to affect policy.
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

You never quit agenda do you.

edited out some bits
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• DanKegel
      Banned
      • Sep 2014

The report raised my hackles with its hardball pro-net-metering stance; I'm more sympathetic to phasing retail net metering out over the next ten years than those folks are. But like I said, even if you don't agree with the report's biases, it's got interesting stuff in it.

Comment

• bcroe
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by DanKegel
        The report raised my hackles with its hardball pro-net-metering stance; I'm more sympathetic to phasing retail net metering out over the next ten years than those folks are. But like I said, even if you don't agree with the report's biases, it's got interesting stuff in it.
        If net metering goes away, residential solar will too. Some people think that's OK. I am not happy with utilities finding more
        and more ways to extract money, while delivering less actual service. Here PV frees me from the ever increasing connect fees
        of the gas co, not to mention some of the prices (for which they have had to make $100 MILLION refunds in some cases). And
        the relief of not having to feel guilty about every more comfortable thermostat setting, or less than state-of-the-art insulation, or
        any lights left on or not upgraded.

Here we collect most energy in summer, consume most in winter; that can only work with net metering. My electric bills have
        usually been tiny, the complaint of my using less energy (used to be virtuous) hardly applies. The issue would be how it affects
        generation and distribution problems. Since I am supplying energy when my neighbors have a high demand (for AC), and taking
        energy when demand is lower, I am helping the PoCo to even out their load and lower distribution losses. Other rules could be
        worked out to also not be detrimental to the PoCo (and the rest of the population). If solar if forced back to the industrial scale
        only, they will have no incentive to develop it, and the rest of us will have lost some (defensive) options. Bruce Roe

Comment

• DanKegel
          Banned
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by bcroe
          If net metering goes away, residential solar will too.
          Residential solar going away would not be ok with me.
          I want it to remain affordable and worth installing -- and as it gets cheaper, I am looking forward to going off-grid becoming practical in more areas.
          I also don't want any utility yanking the net metering from existing customers.
          Any replacement for net metering has to take the long view, look at all the benefits local solar brings to the grid, and not simply be a cynical attempt to slow down or stop solar adoption.

That said, I'm keeping an open mind about the future. If we end up in a world with high renewable penetration (say, 90%), I'm not sure seasonal net metering (using summer generation in winter) makes as much sense as it does in the current low renewable penetration world. Who knows, maybe in cold areas, Passivhaus approaches which radically reduce energy needs during winter will become more popular, and reduce the need for summer -> winter energy shifts.

Comment

• DanKegel
            Banned
            • Sep 2014

https://pv-magazine-usa.com/2016/12/...the-long-term/ has a nice, slightly skeptical view of a report critical of net metering.

Iit's clear that the endgame won't include net metering as we now know it, but tossing it out too soon would be a mistake. pv-magazine's pretty good at pointing out where the report may have been skewing its results to make net metering look like a bad deal sooner than it really might be.

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

https://pv-magazine-usa.com/2016/12/...the-long-term/ has a nice, slightly skeptical view of a report critical of net metering.

Iit's clear that the endgame won't include net metering as we now know it, but tossing it out too soon would be a mistake. pv-magazine's pretty good at pointing out where the report may have been skewing its results to make net metering look like a bad deal sooner than it really might be.
              The POCO's will have to come up with a way to get all of their customers to pay for the grid when it is used as well as a reasonable credit for each kWh a home co-generator produces.

Sad to say I have not seen a good formula that will make everyone happy but while net metering may be going away the homeowner needs to get more than a couple a cents / kWh for what they provide.

Comment

• karrak
                • May 2015

Originally posted by SunEagle

The POCO's will have to come up with a way to get all of their customers to pay for the grid when it is used as well as a reasonable credit for each kWh a home co-generator produces.

Sad to say I have not seen a good formula that will make everyone happy but while net metering may be going away the homeowner needs to get more than a couple a cents / kWh for what they provide.
                If we get a smart grid and suitable regulation everyone should be able to sell power to the grid at the real time wholesale rates whenever it suits them. Hows that for democracy, lots of vested interests won't like it though...

Simon
                Off-Grid LFP(LiFePO4) system since April 2013

Comment

• word
                  • Nov 2016

Solar generates power when electricity wholesale prices are high, so net metering at a lower penetration levels probably makes electricity cheaper. Obviously, electric companies don't want competition and essentially reduced demand for their electricity so they will to block solar as much as they can to maintain their profitability.

Comment

• cebury
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by word
                    Solar generates power when electricity wholesale prices are high, so net metering at a lower penetration levels probably makes electricity cheaper. Obviously, electric companies don't want competition and essentially reduced demand for their electricity so they will to block solar as much as they can to maintain their profitability.
                    Ever heard of the duck curve? Supply & demand will change that with more residentialike and industrial solar, at least in CA

Comment

• DanKegel
                      Banned
                      • Sep 2014

Which is where this idea from Arizona comes in: require a certain amount of renewable energy during peak net load, right when the duck curve hits its peak.

Comment

• word
                        • Nov 2016

With the rise of EV's there will be a lot of opportunity for demand management.

Comment

• DanKegel
                          Banned
                          • Sep 2014

That's for sure. And, if we get our act together and provide workplace charging, EVs could help soak up a lot of that nice cheap PV.

Comment

• SunEagle
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

That's for sure. And, if we get our act together and provide workplace charging, EVs could help soak up a lot of that nice cheap PV.
                            I think it would be a great boost to the EV builders if more companies installed charging stations at the work place. That would help sell more lower range(< 200mile range) EV's and maybe reduce stress on customers concerned about not having enough power to get home again.

What I don't really like is the thought that an EV's battery could be used by the POCO to help balance voltage issues on the grid. That is one theory about future smart grid controls. I hope it is nothing more than conspiracy theory.

Comment

• Sunking
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Feb 2010

Dan perhaps you missed it. The polls are in on the Forum that SolarPete posted. Everyone thinks:

SK is rude
                              JPM is condescending
                              Dan K is full of CRAP.

It is unanimous Dan, everyone thinks you are full of crap. I have no problem being called Rude, as JPM I think will agree he can be condescending. We both treat morons like you full of Crap. You earned it just like JPM and I did. Wear your label proudly, you earned it like we did.
                              MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...