Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mtjk
    • Nov 2016

Real time data from a solar module

Hi everybody, I am new to solar and I have a few questions that i hope experienced people can answer.

1. How is real time data collected from a solar module.
    2. What form of data is being retrieved from the module. ( eg. in the form of numbers, alphabets etc )

I have searched the web and various articles but have not seem to get the answer I am looking for.
    Thanks in advanced for the help!
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Hello mtjk and welcome to Solar Panel Talk

Real time data can't be collected directly from a solar panel. Although it can be collected from a micro inverter that the panel is connected to. The catch is the micro inverter must be set up by a solar installer or Contractor that has the ability to program each micro to communicate with a website to send the data and then allows the "customer" to see it using some type of webpage which can display both real time (or approximately) and historical data.

One type of micro inverter is made by Enphase although there are other similar manufacturers.

Comment

• mtjk
      • Nov 2016

Hi SunEagle! Thanks for the reply!

So the way to collect and store data is through the use of a micro inverter right?
      And what kind of data is gathered ( eg. energy yield or amount of photons entering or something like this? ) Or is the data collected not fixed and can be varied according to different users

Comment

• littleharbor
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2016

Or a solar optimizer and appropriate grid tie inverter
        2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by mtjk
          Hi SunEagle! Thanks for the reply!

So the way to collect and store data is through the use of a micro inverter right?
          And what kind of data is gathered ( eg. energy yield or amount of photons entering or something like this? ) Or is the data collected not fixed and can be varied according to different users
          The data usually focuses around the amount of wattage generated. It probably includes the amps, voltages, time duration over a 24hour, monthly and yearly periods. I serious doubt it would be able to measure the number of photons or even the efficiency of the solar cells in the panel. The data is not really scientific but tilted more to the consumer wanting to know how much electricity their system is generating and money they are saving by not purchasing it from their electric company.

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

I use a charge controller that logs the output. Both Morningstar and Midnight Classic do this.
            Solar panels merely produce energy. You can use any appropriate technology to monitor that.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Brian53713
              Solar Fanatic
              • Oct 2016

Victron energy Blue solar charge controllers, have a Bluetooth dongle that gives daily and a monthly log.It connects wirelessly to different devices. And offers a monthly log that you can email to yourself. Not just their charge controllers, inverter Chargers, battery monitors,etc.. .Gives you the daily high-wattage, high voltage, output and battery low and high .And how many minutes in bulk absorb float .

Comment

Working...