Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • C.R.J.
    • Dec 2015

Spain. Taxing the sun Update. Good news

I have not been on this forum for a while, so hello again.

I thought i would pass along some information regarding a post i made a while ago regarding the situation in Spain and solar power.
    Four years ago, the ruling party in Spain (the PP party) decided to tax solar power. After 4 years of government bureaucracy, they came up with a method of taxing the sun.
    If you have solar panels, but no storage (batteries), you will pay a fixed fee each month. This fee will depend on the wattage of your system. ( not the power it actually produces). It is on a sliding scale. 0 -1kw, 1kw-5kw, 6-10kw.
    If you have batteries you will pay a higher rate. If you have an off grid system, but can actually connect to the grid, you pay an additional fixed fee for 'maintenance of the grid infrastructure'.
    Also there will be no feed in tariff. Any 'excess' power produced will be given to the electric company for free.

The amount of sunny days in Spain, did make solar power a good option. You could expect to recoup your outlay within 7- 8 years. With the legislation and additional taxes, that changed. The average time to recoup the outlay, increased to 18 to 20 years.

All of the above put the Spanish solar industry in the toilet.
    Thanks to pressure from the solar industry and the chaotic political situation in Spain, all of the above legislation may be cancelled.

The PP party in Spain, introduced the legislation. They no longer have a majority in the elections. It will be a power sharing government when it is eventually formed.
    A huge majority of the other political parties have signed a document stating that within 100 days of the formation of a coalition government, the 'sun tax' legislation will be repealed.
    The will also repeal the rights of council officials to access your property for the purpose of assessing your solar power system.

It is hoped that a coalition government will be formed by the end of this year. So with some luck, i will look at installing a solar system sometime next year.

CRJ
Working...