Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inverter shut down

Hi all
    i have a powerjack lfpsw 5000 inverter( not the best apparently) but given free with panels!!!
    Now,, when cc indicates batteries at 90/99% soc and running minimal electrics my inverter tends to sound its alarm it is a constant long beep then shuts down!!! Cant find anywhere what the different alarm signals are for this inverter so dont know if its too much or not enough from panels (have 2 160w 24v panels attached to a bank of 6 95ah batteries paired into 3 sets of 2 can anyone please advise as to what it could be!!

Regards
    Dave

A quick search on powerjack inverters does not bring up any good reviews of them, seems like they are to be avoided.

State of charge numbers can be less than accurate.

Look at what the battery voltage is doing and post that info,

Comment

The Powerjack does not appear to be UL listed and so likely not safe as well as being poorly designed.
      Would you burn down your house just because you were given free matches?

There are a large number of videos online about fixing these units (or discarding them!). Just start by searching on Google for powerjack lfpsw 5000 .
      By standard rule of thumb you have less than half the panel wattage needed to maintain your 6 95AH batteries, and those batteries are not really enough to power the 5000W inverter at full load (>100A at 24V).
      How are you wiring the inverter to the battery terminals? (Length and size of wire used for that and for the battery interconnecting wires?)
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Thanks will do!

Forgot to mention this only seems to happens during sunlight hours when sun is at highest!!

Comment

Originally posted by davechezz View Post
          Thanks will do!

Forgot to mention this only seems to happens during sunlight hours when sun is at highest!!
          If your charger is not working correctly or if you wired the inverter to the panels rather than to the battery terminals, they may be sending too high a voltage to the inverter, causing it to shut down for its own protection.
          Please measure the voltage at the inverter input terminals when it is working and when it is alarming.
          Also please tell us more about how your system is wired. A schematic diagram with wire lengths and sizes listed as well as the make and model of the charger would also be useful.

Comment

Hi all

Tested all 6 batteries voltage is between 12.9v and 13.6v... the voltage at inverter terminals is between 23.6v and up to 27.6v ac coming out ranges from 220v to 235v but if i disconnect panels it stays constant at 227v

The cable between batteries is 8mm diamater and 50mm long. The cable tieing batteries in parallel is the same diameter and 250mm long. the cables from batteries to inverter are 12mm and + is 500mm long and - is 300mm long

The cable from panels is whats called here 6mm to controller and from controller to batteries is 10mm

when alarm sounds voltage to inverter is between 26.5 to 27.6 volts and running normal is around 23.6 to 26 volts

the controller is a sun yoba solar 80 controller

when checking sizes of wires and other stuff today if i take out panel wires from controller there is a change in sound from inverter and if wires left out then no alarm sounds!!!

tried to upload drawing but it wont let me something to do with file format!! will try again later

The system is wired in 3 sets of 2 batteries in series to give me 3 24 volt batteries then wired in parallel... the inverter cables ar wired to batteries 1 and six and the controller is wired to batteries 2 and 5 the batterries are stood face to face so terminals of + and - are together to give me the series wiring ( if someone could draw this how it should be done correctly i would be grateful!!)

In the solar living section under... is this enough for spain is a list of all the equipment i have and specs!!

if someone can help me on this i would be forever grateful to you

if you need anymore info just let me know

kindest regards to all

Dave

Comment

The inverter is faulting when the batteries are approaching full charge of 29V, or you have some bad connections that are causing the inverter to see the charge controller output before the batteries have a chance to absorb it, look for a bad or loose connection between the CC (charge controller) and the batteries, or a bad interconnect in the battery wiring.
              Do you have a clip on ammeter to measure the amps of each string of batteries while charging ?
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Hi all

checked battery interconnect wiring all good! Wiring from cc to batteries good! Found a loose terminal (crimp) on inverter to battey negative cable so may be that!!
                Dont have a ammeterat the present but could borrow one and post results if needed?
                Inetdog you say that i have less than half the wattage to maintain batteries but they seem to be at 99% by about lunchtime here im spain what would you suggest on this i have other panels to add but been told they are not high enough voltage.
                Also you said my battery bank aint big enough to run the inverter at full our villa is very small only one bedroom we have 3w led lights (5) in the house a fridge, washing machine and tv occasionally not a great deal of stuff would you suggest a smaller inverter or more batteries?

This is all brand new to me folks so any help amd advice would be great, we have no mains at our villa and the costs of getting the spanish elec co to do it is pathetic really!!

So all advice will be greatly received

rdegards dave

Comment

Hi all

we had a bit of cloud cover yesterday so cc was stating 80-90% today lots of sun and by lunchtime when cc stating 99% inverter starts alarming and shutting down again
                  also when imverter is running, not a big demand on it just small camping fridge, radio ceiling fan! When i put the lights on (3w led) in house to see if ok they where pulsing went down to check inverter and the usual humming sound was also pulsing! I disconnected panels and pulsing stopped!!! Can anyone emlighten me as to what is going on or is the sun yoba solar 80 cc a pile of crap too

regards all dave

Comment

• Wy_White_Wolf
                    Wy_White_Wolf commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's a cheap PWM controller that they've thrown a few bells and whistles on to make it look fancy. The pulsing you are seeing is because it's PWM. But your inverter still should not be shutting down at that voltage.

It's a cheap PWM controller that they've thrown a few bells and whistles on to make it look fancy. The pulsing you are seeing is because it's PWM. But your inverter still should not be shutting down at that voltage.

The cheap PWM CC is maintaining the average voltage at the configured Absorb or Float voltage. Since the voltage between pulses will be less than the voltage with charge current flowing, the peak pulse voltage applied to the battery terminals must be greater than the regulated average voltage.
                  Quite likely the inverter protective circuitry is sensing the voltage peak rather than the voltage average and is shutting down on overvoltage.
                  Three possible fixes:
                  1. Reduce the voltage setting of the CC (risking chronic undercharge of the batteries.)
                  2. Put a high current forward biased diode (array of diodes) in series with the + lead to the inverter. This will waste some power when the inverter is in use, but will keep it from seeing the overvoltage.
                  3. Preferred: get a decent CC, preferably MPPT. That will eliminate the pulsing and will also deliver more power from your panels, which might be handy in the winter even if you already have excess capacity during the summer.

Comment

Working...
                  X