X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davechezz
    • Jul 2016

panels 12v or 24v??

Hi all
    I have some solar panels made by silken model no slk60p6l 215w....215watts but cant seem to find out if they are 12 or 24 volts!! Does anyone use these panels or know which voltage they are

I have wrote another post in solar living with the kit i have so any info would be great

thanks
    Dave
  • littleharbor
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2016

60 cell grid tie panels are considered 20 volt "nominal" when compared to 36 cell, 12 volt and 72 cell, 24 volt panels. Their voltage isn't high enough to properly charge a 24 volt bank of batteries and is too high to efficiently charge a 12 volt bank with a conventional PWM charge controller. When used in an off grid scenario you would need an MPPT charge controller to step down the voltage to match your batteries and series wire panels when necessary to raise your voltage higher than your battery bank needs leaving the controller to do it's magic.

A quick google search shows a Vmp of 29.6 volts and a Voc of 36.6 volts.
    Last edited by littleharbor; 08-10-2016, 07:22 AM.
    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• Wy_White_Wolf
      Wy_White_Wolf commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. Grid panels so they are neither 12v or 24v nominal panels.
  • davechezz
    • Jul 2016

I have 4 of these panels so could i series wire 2 sets of 2 to charge a bank of 24v batteries I have 6 baterries wired in series of 2.2.2. Which are charged of 2 160w 24v panels at the minute! But my controller is a pwm. Not mppt???

Dave

Comment

• davechezz
      davechezz commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry batteries are wired in parallel also
Working...