Regarding Sunking, and learning things here :)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smily03
    • May 2015

Regarding Sunking, and learning things here :)

I've learned a ton on this site over the last several months of reading through posts. One of those things is that I've learned how much I don't know. It really blows my mind how much collective knowledge and real-world experience there is on this forum. To me, that's really cool that people are willing to share with others to help them learn as well.

One other thing that I've noticed along the way is that Sunking has his detractors. It seems like he is often criticized for his abruptness, for calling people out, or calling names.

At first this bothered me. I'd originally came across solarpaneltalk because I'd seen the marketing for something that seemed really awesome (Iron Edison batteries,) and really hoped that they would be the magic bullet that they were purported to be. When I made my first posts, I did so with the hope that Sunking wouldn't respond, because I'd seen his negative comments about the technology elsewhere in the forums.

In essence, I wanted my hopes to be validated, and I wanted to find people who would agree with those hopes.

In the end, Sunking did comment, along with a number of other folks, several with direct experience with the technology. And in the end, the technology didn't turn out to be the magic infallible thing that I'd hoped it would be. But beyond that, I learned something, that hopefully other newbies to this forum will learn as well.

Sunking isn't being a jerk when he challenges us or calls us out, and he's not being intolerant of other people's views either. However, he is intolerant of deception, ignorance, not listening, trying to do stuff that will cost us money unnecessarily, and especially trying to do stuff that could kill or injure us or others. He's also intolerant of conjecture, unproven claims, and falsified/misleading data. And, that's not a bad thing, even though it can be uncomfortable when directed at us.

As I've read through this forum on many occasions, (and realized that he is also a member of other forums where he's likewise respected (and possibly reviled for the same reasons as he is here,)) I've learned to have a deep respect for him, his experience, and his knowledge.

As I was thinking about it the other day, I realized that he parallels the two best teachers I've had in my life -- my dad (an electrical engineer) and Mr. Shirley (my high school science teacher.) Both have a very deep working knowledge of their fields. And both have no qualms whatsoever in calling out stupidity, ignorance, or foolishness. Not because of pride, but because of their concern for others, and out of a desire for others to be the best that they can. And out of that, I have built a very deep respect and trust for them.

Am I saying that they're infallible? Of course not. Neither is Sunking I'm sure. But I do feel as if his detractors are unfair in their accusations and criticisms. Many times when people act standoffish towards him, it is because they seem to be approaching a question or problem the way that I did with my early posts about NiFe batteries -- they want their views to be validated, not challenged. Even if they're not correct. And they don't want to admit when something Sunking says might contradict what they're saying.

The thing is -- Sunking has no qualms about calling people out on things like that. He knows that he knows what he knows. And I don't think that's a bad thing.

So, to the newbies out there like me -- do your research. Read the stuff that Sunking (and others) link to in their posts. Try to understand what he's actually saying. If he calls you out, take it with a grain of salt and try to understand why you're being called out. He has a ton of respect on this forum and others, from moderators and members alike. There is a ton that can be learned here on these forums - not just from him, but from everyone

Chris
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

Nice critique. In addition to the above, Sunking can be quite entertaining to read. Bruce Roe

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Oh no ! Now SK will only be more insufferable to the thin skinned. What's to be done ?!?! Oh the humanity !!

Comment

• smily03
        • May 2015

Heh, I used to be thin-skinned, up until a couple of years ago. Then I learned that having a thick skin is a good thing, especially if you can maintain your caring side at the same time

Comment

• foo1bar
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by smily03
          Sunking isn't being a jerk when he challenges us or calls us out, and he's not being intolerant of other people's views either.
          Semantically what you say is true, but it's misleading.

When Sunking "calls people out" (ie. points out fallacies they've posted) he isn't being a jerk.

But that doesn't mean he isn't ever a jerk, nor that he's never intolerant.

Of course we all have our bad days/faults. And Sunking does have quite a bit of knowledge - it's just that often his knowledge is IMO obscured by his posting "style".

Comment

• Tamnakz
            Tamnakz commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree with you in terms of the style, smart with electronics, not people.
        • DanKegel
          Banned
          • Sep 2014

Yeah, Sunking's a bona fide expert about some things, and is very helpful. That's why the board's admins overlook his rough edges.

If he decides he doesn't like you, though, watch out. He came after me with guns blazing in the nastiest of ways, and got a time out from the board as a result.
          He got another warning this past week from the admins, so I guess they pay at least some attention to complaints from board members about his behavior.

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by DanKegel
            Yeah, Sunking's a bona fide expert about some things, and is very helpful. That's why the board's admins overlook his rough edges.

If he decides he doesn't like you, though, watch out. He came after me with guns blazing in the nastiest of ways, and got a time out from the board as a result.
            He got another warning this past week from the admins, so I guess they pay at least some attention to complaints from board members about his behavior.
            Others have also received admonitions from the admin. From where I was sitting, I believe I saw you get at least close to one last week as well. In any case, thank you for enlightening me as to the inner workings of admin's thinking on policy with respect to what it does to run the show. That they allow you to stay here is, IMO only, surely a sign of their charity.

Admin. has nothing to do with this thread. Leave them and the sour drapes out of it, keep quiet about things you're ignorant about and grow up, or at least be more considerate of what you post.

As for personal likes/dislikes, the way I see it, I need to know someone before I can like/dislike them. I may be ignorant about who SK knows, but I bet he doesn't know you. That makes it hard for me to believe or take seriously your claim that he dislikes you. Think out of the box for a second and consider that it may have little if anything to do with you, but all to do with the damage your actions cause on this forum. You're a loose cannon around here and SK calls you on the results of your unshipped gun carriage. Nothing personal. Just professionalism at work to point out your ignorance and lack of subject knowledge depth. I can't/won't speak for him or defend some of his more acerbic ways, but I suspect he'd rather choose to ignore you and what you blather on about if it was only silly and not so incorrect, uninformed and inconsiderate, and not so wasteful of others' time and effort who are ignorant and take your stuff seriously.

FWIW, that he does often call a spade a spade is part of being a Professional Engineer. It goes with the profession.

Question: Who do you suspect more folks would prefer to be working in a nuclear power plant, You or SK ? How about designing solar equipment ? Who do you think more people trust for correct answers around here - you or SK ?

This is not a popularity contest. Most folks show up here to seek answers and exchange information. They have an expectation that the answers and opinions put forth will be based on knowledge and experience from informed individuals. NOMB, and I don't care as much as wet, warm, smelly air about your motives, but I suspect you're here for an ego boost more than concern for exchanging much of anything.

Comment

• sdold
              • Jun 2014

I think the more sensitive folks would be more likely to take his advice if they knew ahead of time what was coming. Maybe the board should have a disclaimer for new members with an explanation of Sunking and an "I Agree" button.

Comment

• Tamnakz
                Tamnakz commented
                Editing a comment
                It's always only perceived as sensitivities... What about people who have a hard time learning, and are trying their asses off, only to have sunking derail a conversation so far there's nothing useful left in a thread?

Even bad ideas teach lessons, especially when they're being played out on paper for someone to learn... but only perfect ideas are acceptable here apparently?

It's saddening more than anything else. This forum is the BEST collection of knowledge I've found anywhere for people looking to learn about solar as a whole. Electrical theory is a HUGE pain for most people to grasp, and there's a few people here who do very well at teaching bits of it in their posts. I've read lots of threads where the OP had an obvious ahah moment and finally understood what they were missing. I've seen more threads where people learned nothing other than sunking is an asshole though...
            • Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

If he decides he doesn't like you, though, watch out.
              Dan no one likes you here. That is why you got beat up pas a kid and as an adult. No one has ever given me a time out.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by sdold
                I think the more sensitive folks would be more likely to take his advice if they knew ahead of time what was coming. Maybe the board should have a disclaimer for new members with an explanation of Sunking and an "I Agree" button.
                LOL, I like it. Thanks Smiley and Sdoib for making me smile today. To JPM thanks for helping me leave tire tracks over Dan;s body as he just ask to get beat up. JPM you are right we train drivers do call BS out.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

• DanKegel
                  Banned
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Sunking
                  No one has ever given me a time out.
                  IIRC you were given a week or two timeout from this board around June 2015 after harassing me. (I still have pdfs of some of SK's harassing posts in case anyone wants to see 'em.) And I seem to recall you started deleting your stickies, you were so upset about it. But maybe I'm misremembering...

Comment

• Sunking
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2010

IIRC you were given a week or two timeout from this board around June 2015 after harassing me. (I still have pdfs of some of SK's harassing posts in case anyone wants to see 'em.) And I seem to recall you started deleting your stickies, you were so upset about it. But maybe I'm misremembering...
                    Nope I was mad about running Russ off and letting you stay. It was a Boycott.
                    Last edited by Sunking; 07-29-2016, 11:02 AM.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Tamnakz
                      • Jul 2016

It's amusing until you realize how many times people were possibly going to learn something until that prick ^ derailed threads with useless BS and name calling

I lurked here for months teaching myself things until I hit a wall I couldn't climb on my own, so I posted a thread looking for help and was getting some very useful and informative feedback, until sunkass came by, after which nothing useful has been said.

Thanks for making sure us stupid people don't get the chance to learn from the smart people!!!!!!

Comment

• Ian S
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Sep 2011

Sunking's knowledge is, dare I say, YUUUUGE!
                        Last edited by Ian S; 07-30-2016, 12:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• J.P.M.
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Ian S
                          Sunking's knowledege is, dare I say, YUUUUGE!
                          Oh Ian, why'd you have to go and write such things ? You'll only hurt the whiners' & crybabies' feelings and inflame them more.

Comment

• Tamnakz
                            Tamnakz commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Why, he knows his ****, his knowledge isn't what's at question.

Liberal application isn't the only solution, an rarely the best one.
                        Working...