Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • huge
    Solar Fanatic
    • May 2016

I'm thinking of a similar set up. There's a site that I was trying to talk into getting solar, and it has a carport. It's about a 2 car carport made from wood. I think it would be the best option to put the panels on the carport for multiple reasons. Anybody know how I can find out what the regulations are for such a project? Would they even allow that in southern California?

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

in So Calif, you need to meet the earthquake codes, so it will require a robust structure. Use corrugated plastic panels underneath to keep drips off the cars.
      (as you mount the PV panels, there are gaps water will go through)
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Tonopah
        • Jul 2016

I have an appointment scheduled with a Harmon Electric engineer for next week. This is to determine what might be involved in building a solar car port on my property. The area I have in mind is compacted fill dirt, in total sun, with no issues regarding shade (no trees, other buildings, etc). My plan B is to also discuss with him building a ground mount instead of a solar car port (I can have the car port built for shade only by another contractor). My most current electric bill was $480 for the month due to pool pumps, air conditioning, etc. How much of my bill do I want to offset? 75% would be nice. I'll probably be dead before the solar investment pays for itself though. Time will tell. It seems a crime not to have PV solar in central AZ though.

Comment

• solarix
          Super Moderator
          • Apr 2015

There is a steel co. called Powers Steel in Phoenix that has Carport Systems for solar projects.
          BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• Tonopah
            • Jul 2016

My son in law saw a company finishing installation of some solar car ports in Phoenix and spoke with the foreman -- and got his card. The company is Powers Steel so your suggestion is a good one. I'll see what Harmon Electric can do for me and go from there. Thanks.

Comment

• Tonopah
              • Jul 2016

Harmon Electric just contacted me to cancel the appointment on the grounds that higher ups in their company said they are no longer doing solar carports. I responded, ok, what about a ground mounted system? They e-mailed back that ground mounted solar runs $40,000 to $70,000. Guess they don't need my business.

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

Look into pole mount. 1 hole, trench for electrical, and you can park a car under it
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• stallhorn
                  • Nov 2015

Tonopah, were you able to get this done? I tried a bunch of companies with no success. They either flat out refused or gave me too high of a quote after repeated request.

Comment

• Tonopah
                    • Jul 2016

No, I did not get it done. No company was interested in the project. I have also been following political developments regarding solar in AZ, in particular the battles regarding net metering at the Arizona Corporations Commission (AZ’s PUC), and I think the major power companies are so against residential solar that the advantages of having it are subject to such attack that I am no longer willing to make the up front investment. Maybe next year.

Comment

• stallhorn
                      • Nov 2015

I hear you. The power company here in MD (Pepco) was bought out by Excelon not too long ago - and Excelon is not as friendly to home solar as Pepco was. So I am expecting a few major changes to come with Net Metering.

I paid $2100 for the entire year and consumed about 12MW of energy this year. A 10 kw system might offset all my use, but I have been quoted at about $3.5/w to put it on my roof or about $6/w just for the kit from one solar carport manufacturer. Most just ignored my repeated requests. One got really mad at me and started yelling for not paying them $400.00 to design my system so that they can tell me how much it costs - bizarre. They didn't even want to give me a ballpark.

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by stallhorn
                        I hear you. The power company here in MD (Pepco) was bought out by Excelon not too long ago - and Excelon is not as friendly to home solar as Pepco was. So I am expecting a few major changes to come with Net Metering.

I paid $2100 for the entire year and consumed about 12MW of energy this year. A 10 kw system might offset all my use, but I have been quoted at about $3.5/w to put it on my roof or about $6/w just for the kit from one solar carport manufacturer. Most just ignored my repeated requests. One got really mad at me and started yelling for not paying them $400.00 to design my system so that they can tell me how much it costs - bizarre. They didn't even want to give me a ballpark.
                        I remember a company out in CA back in maybe 2010 that had DIY steel kits that could hold two cars and came with 25 x 200 watt panels and inverter for about $5/watt.

You just had to pour the concrete pad with the mounting bolts, put up the steel frame, add roof panels, solar panel racking, solar panels, etc. and you had a system that could be grid tied. It was not cheap and probably cost close to $10/watt when completed. Company is no longer around. At that cost it was not ready for prime time.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle

I remember a company out in CA back in maybe 2010 that had DIY steel kits that could hold two cars and came with 25 x 200 watt panels and inverter for about $5/watt.

You just had to pour the concrete pad with the mounting bolts, put up the steel frame, add roof panels, solar panel racking, solar panels, etc. and you had a system that could be grid tied. It was not cheap and probably cost close to $10/watt when completed. Company is no longer around. At that cost it was not ready for prime time.
                          And maybe a good example of companies that make money by picking the low hanging fruit cultivated by the solar ignorant.

Comment

• wblanford
                            • Mar 2016

Here is a local Phoenix company Powers Solar Frames that produces a reasonable cost ground mount system: http://powerssolarframes.com/solar-g...p-ballast.html

They also have solar parking structures.
                            Bill - Phoenix, AZ

Comment

• edtmv
                              • Jun 2021

I know this tread is old.... but did you ever get your solar carport built ? I am i think about doing the same. Thanks

Comment

Working...