Inverter and panels required for 5 HP AC Pump?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zohaib
    • Apr 2015

Inverter and panels required for 5 HP AC Pump?

Hello,

I have a 5 HP AC submersible pump(Siemens) available having 3 inch diameter and total lift of 40 ft. The water requirement is 3 cusec. Which capacity inverter and how many panels (Let say 250w) are suitable to run this pump and meet this water requirement. And what will be panels configuration in this case.Please help me in this regard.
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

What is the voltage rating of that 5hp pump and is it 3 phase or 1 phase? Also how many hours do you plan on running each day?

I will tell you that a 1hp 1 phase pump (~ 750watt) will take at least 2000watts to start up and run so IMO a 5hp pump would take a huge solar array and battery system.

Comment

• zohaib
      zohaib commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the response. Voltage rating is between 220~380 V. 3 phase pump and i want to run this pump during day only 6 to 7 hours. Please tell me how many solar panels and inverter will be run this system.
  • Logan005
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2015

the best way to handle water pumping is to use a solar pump and a water tower. solar pumps water into water tower during the daytime hours and gravity feeds demands 24hrs from water tower. a 5hp AC pump will require an inverter and very large expensive battery bank.
    4X Suniva 250 watt, 8X t-105, OB Fx80, dc4812vrf

Comment

• zohaib
      zohaib commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your comment. Actually i want this pump to run during day only.
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

To zohaib

Even running that big load during the daytime will require an expensive system as well as batteries to make sure it runs when the sun is blocked for a couple of days with clouds.

At least using a storage tank allows you a little more flexibility to continue to meet your water needs.

Comment

• azdave
      • Oct 2014

Sounds like you're building a remote landscape feature with a waterfall or cascading river effect. Please tell us what the application is because that could make a big difference if it's not a "mission critical" project.
      Dave W. Gilbert AZ
      6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• Logan005
        Solar Fanatic
        • Nov 2015

a 5hp pump will use 3750 watts with a start up surge as high as 6kw. so you would need an array in excess of 6kw and will still likely only run a few hours a day. Your best choice is to replace the deep well pump with a solar deep well pump that slowly pumps water into a water tower for 24 hour gravity feed use. I am aware of one pump that uses an inverter properly matched to engage the pump. when the pump disengages the inverter powers down.
        4X Suniva 250 watt, 8X t-105, OB Fx80, dc4812vrf

Comment

• tater1337
          • May 2016

I have questions. isn't 5hp a bit large for that pumping load? looks like a 2hp might pull it off depending on what pressure you need....even then it sounds like it might be better to use a gas generator if you cant get a gas driven pump.

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by SunEagle
            What is the voltage rating of that 5hp pump and is it 3 phase or 1 phase? .
            I would hope at least 3-phase 208/120 or higher voltage. Really makes me no difference, never going to happen anyway once he learns what it will take. He has no clue he is looking at something $40K to $80K

250 watt panel to run a 5 hp motor. Now that is some funny stuff, I don't care who you are.

Last edited by Sunking; 05-26-2016, 11:04 AM.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• jflorey2
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by zohaib
              Hello,I have a 5 HP AC submersible pump(Siemens) available having 3 inch diameter and total lift of 40 ft. The water requirement is 3 cusec.
              That means you need 13.5hp (10kW) of energy to move that much water (3 cubic feet a second, 40 foot lift). Which means you need a 15-20kW pump. That means you will need about 40kw worth of inverter to start the pump. You are now talking tens of thousands of dollars US for just the inverter. Overall system you're probably looking at about $100K.

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by jflorey2
                Overall system you're probably looking at about $100K.

Now that is some funny stuff, I don't care who you are. A fool and their money will soon be parted.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...