X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Hearing Aid Rip Off

I think most US citizens understand the high medical cost in the USA is a big rip-off. Rip-Off is probably to gentle. There are several reasons for it which the Health Care Reform act did not address. In fact quite the opposite driving cost even higher with more restrictions. But that is what you guys fell for, so you got what you deserved, Ripped Off even more.

I get a bit of the inside look being married to a Doctor and a Daughter that is a doctor in the USA. Wife no longer practices in the USA, but does work in a Public Health Clinic here in Panama. In Panama there are two healthcare system. Public for the local population, and Private for everyone else and wealthy locals. Won't go into a lot of details on the public side other than to say you had better not get sick or be in a hurry if you do. The Private side is similar to what the USA has except the rules and regulations are such do not allow the public to be ripped off. For one you cannot sue a Doctor like you can in the USA, Instead there is Arbitration, and cash awards are set in Stone and reasonable. That and no such thing as adds on TV or print about the latest new drug. I get the same 3 month prescription down here for 1/10 what it cost me in the USA with Prescription Insurance. Example my Blood Pressure Co-Pay was $50 for 90 days. Here no insurance and the exact same drug is $5 for 90 days with no Insurance.

Anyway on to Hearing Aids. I use one for my right ear. Moderate loss in my right ear from shooting riffles, only moderate in my left ear. I never bothered getting one in my left ear due to expense. Last one I bought for my Right ear in the USA was $2400 3 years ago. Today just north of $3000 and $6000 if I want both ears. So now her in Panama I checked out hearing aids. Do not know why I waited so long. I should have known they would be less expensive down here, but I was shocked how much difference. Just got fitted the other day and now for both ears, the same make, brand and model I looked at in the USA a pair out the door with two-year cleaning and adjustment $789 and no TAX. Just a little more than $6000 in the USA, under $800 down hear.

Everything down here is a lot les expensive, especially housing and food. But do not get in a rush to move here, because unless you can prove you have the means to fully support yourself, or some really special skill set you cannot live here. You are not allowed to work unless you have a really special skill set or can prove to the government you will be hiring a lot of local labor if you open a biz. This is not to say Ex-Pats are not welcome here because in fact they are. One perk is we all get 50% off electricity, Duty Free, and NO INCOME TAXES. However there are a lot of Ex-Pats down here. I would guess 50% are Canadians, 25% Yankees, 20% Euro, and %5 of I do not know what to call them other than the Asian which is a mixed bag. In one town not far from here by Costa Rica are what is believed to be survivors of the Nazzi' Party from WWII Germany that migrated up from Argentina to escape Nazzi hunters. .
    Last edited by Sunking; 02-12-2016, 10:11 PM.
    MSEE, PE
Working...