Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bvmm
    • Jan 2016

What's to see SOLAR in sunny San Diego?

I'll be visiting San Diego, and so am wondering (since there seems to be a fair number of people on this site from San Diego) if there were particularly interesting solar sites in the San Diego area.
    10KW w Enphase M215 - roof mount 45N
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

That probably depends on your interest and expertize. For example, go to affluent areas and rooftop solar is becoming quite common. Poorer areas not so much. I suppose that might be of more interest to a sociologist than an engineer. Relatively large assays - say megaWatt size and greater - are around. They may look impressive the first time you see one, but probably boring after 2 or 3 visits. There's a 1.2MW array about 1 1/4 miles from me and it just sits there generating power, unattended almost all the time. Kind of boring. I think the array on my roof is pretty interesting, but I'm biased. It looks and operates no different than most others.

Comment

• DanS26
      Solar Fanatic
      • Dec 2011

Google Earth is a pretty interesting way to find arrays in a particular area. Saves gas too!

Comment

• bvmm
        • Jan 2016

I agree - Google is a great tool for finding rooftop solar. In my browsing, the likelihood of San Diego rooftop solar appeared to go up with the apparent wealth of the house (large property and large modern house). Is there any concentrating solar power in the area?
        10KW w Enphase M215 - roof mount 45N

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by DanS26
          Google Earth is a pretty interesting way to find arrays in a particular area. Saves gas too!
          I agree but unfortunately the satellite pictures shown by Google may be over a year old so you will not see any new installations.

Comment

• bcroe
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by SunEagle

I agree but unfortunately the satellite pictures shown by Google may be over a year old so you will not see any new installations.
            Google pictures here in NW IL date to Aug 2013. Bruce Roe

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by bcroe

Google pictures here in NW IL date to Aug 2013. Bruce Roe
              I believe that some place have pictures older than that. I guess it depends on how important that part of the US gets viewed for Google to update the data.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle

FWIW, a lot of the Google shots are quite recent, some from Jan., 2016. Also, the street views aare mostly date stamped.

Comment

• inetdog
                  Super Moderator
                  • May 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.

FWIW, a lot of the Google shots are quite recent, some from Jan., 2016. Also, the street views aare mostly date stamped.
                  One thing that I really love is the ability in Google Earth to go back in time to earlier views of the same area, even going back into aerial photography surveys. Both shows what was there then and how the mapping technology has improved.
                  SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• littleharbor
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jan 2016

A little out of the way but, If you are traveling east on Interstate 8 there is a HUGE new solar farm just outside of El Centro. I tried to find info online about this installation but came up empty. Have been watching the progress for about the last year and now they look to be online or very close anyway. All I can say is at one elevated point on the highway it looks like a vast sea of solar modules, possibly in the millions, well hundreds of thousands anyway.
                    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by littleharbor
                      A little out of the way but, If you are traveling east on Interstate 8 there is a HUGE new solar farm just outside of El Centro. I tried to find info online about this installation but came up empty. Have been watching the progress for about the last year and now they look to be online or very close anyway. All I can say is at one elevated point on the highway it looks like a vast sea of solar modules, possibly in the millions, well hundreds of thousands anyway.
                      There are at least 2 large solar arrays just West of El Centro along Interstate 8. One is the Tenaska Imperial West 150MW farm and the other is called Camp Verde with 139MW array.

Also South of El Centro along the Mexican boarder there are at least 3 big arrays. The Centinela 170MW farm, Mount Signal 232MW farm and Tenask Imperial 130MW farm.
                      Last edited by SunEagle; 02-03-2016, 10:03 AM. Reason: added last sentence

Comment

• littleharbor
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jan 2016

They be makin' a lot of electricity.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2013

Similarly, between about 2-4 miles (a big array !) north of I-10 at a wide spot in the road quite aptly called Desert Center, a big solar generating station. Or, on the way to Vegas on I-15, close to the CA-NV line, the Ivanpah power towers. Very impressive if the sun is shining. Some problems on startup that initially made it look like some of the turkey vultures it fried. Doing better now, but still a ways to go to meet expectations. Or, along I-10 at/around Banning going into the Coachella Valley on the way to Palm Springs. 1,200 or so wind turbines spread across the landscape. Not so positively impressing is the idea that the combined annual output of every wind turbine you will see there does not equal that of a moderate to large conventional power plant. I'm a fan of R.E., but some perspective on capabilities and limitations can add a sobering reality.

Comment

• littleharbor
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jan 2016

After watching a few of the Tenaska videos they mentioned there were over 2 MILLION panels in the south farm which is 130MW. The west farm, off interstate 8 is 150MW so my guess of possibly millions of panels was pretty good. It's an amazing sight.

Comment

• SunEagle
                              Super Moderator
                              • Oct 2012

After watching a few of the Tenaska videos they mentioned there were over 2 MILLION panels in the south farm which is 130MW. The west farm, off interstate 8 is 150MW so my guess of possibly millions of panels was pretty good. It's an amazing sight.
                              Believe or not but there are many more large (>50MW) solar arrays in southern CA & NV with many more planned.

Comment

Working...