• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SpaceOddacy
    Solar Fanatic
    • Oct 2010

Constructive criticism needed.

I was thinking to myself the other day.

Solar water heater collectors get hot but not hot enough to boil the water? -irrelevant.

Using alcohol OR ammonia - lower boiling temperatures (not sure about ammonia)
    Could you construct a solar heater collector that would

Heat the liquid to boiling point but under slight pressure
    Have a pipe to a container that is essentially a 'Flash boil tank' - liquid enters at pressure and is sprayed similarly to how fission reactors work. Turning all the liquid to vapor and pressurizing the container which leads to a turbine that spines - vapor then goes to a pump which (here I may be wrong about how it works) re pressurizes the gas to fluid or Cools it rapidly and returns it to the heat collector.

Basically replace the consumables IE: coal\NG\propane\fusion material with sunlight.... is this possible or am I nuts?
    But what if you use 12% and only get 8% energy return not filling a battery completely off the solar array- is this considered a cycle? Mmmmmmm mauh brain's sizzling
    [/QUOTE]
    [quote] If a pigeon had his brains it would fly sideways [/quote]
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

ammonia refrigerators were outlawed, because they carry a lethal dose. you may still get a mini one for a camper.
    Good idea though. Propane for a working fluid has been tried too.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• SpaceOddacy
      Solar Fanatic
      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Mike90250
      ammonia refrigerators were outlawed, because they carry a lethal dose. you may still get a mini one for a camper.
      Good idea though. Propane for a working fluid has been tried too.
      So this idea isn't insane? And the 'idea' of the set up has been tried before with success? I haven't found anything on the googler....
      But what if you use 12% and only get 8% energy return not filling a battery completely off the solar array- is this considered a cycle? Mmmmmmm mauh brain's sizzling
      [/QUOTE]

Comment

• SpaceOddacy
        Solar Fanatic
        • Oct 2010

bump
        [/QUOTE]

Comment

• MarineLiner
          Solar Skipper
          • May 2009

Originally posted by SpaceOddacy
          bump

Comment

• RifRaf
            Solar Fanatic
            • Oct 2010

MarineLiner, the urbandictionary defines it as, In message board terms, to move a post to the top of the forum with a pointless reply, usually to one's own thread.

Comment

• MarineLiner
              Solar Skipper
              • May 2009

Thanks @RifRaf

Comment

• SpaceOddacy
                Solar Fanatic
                • Oct 2010

talk about a thread hyjack haha. Its cool =D
                [/QUOTE]

Comment

• MarineLiner
                  Solar Skipper
                  • May 2009

To put my ducks in a row

talk about a thread hyjack haha. Its cool =D

Comment

• SpaceOddacy
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Oct 2010

[QUOTE=MarineLiner;15797]
                    [/QUOTE]

Comment

• MarineLiner
                      Solar Skipper
                      • May 2009

Similar in have no response

..., I apologize for posting a somewhat duplicate thread.
                      I honestly hadn't seen yours, this idea came to me a few months ago when it was still sunny out and I was curious to know what people thought of it or if it had been tried.

Comment

• mountain
                        • Nov 2009

I was thinking to myself the other day.... is this possible or am I nuts?
                        This is possible AND (perhaps) you are nuts. Watch the movie "Mosquito Coast" (fun with ammonia hydroxide). Not overly factual, but afterward, you might ask yourself "What could go wrong?"

If I ever go really really nuts, I think I would like Harrison Ford to portray me in the movie.

Comment

• peakbagger
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jun 2010

What you are sort of talking about is a organic rankine cycle. You are considering taking a lower boiling point liquid turning it to vapor than running it through a turbine. There are commercial units out there on a large scale. Many use an HFC for a working fluid. Its still a Rankine cycle and constrained by the carnot cycle efficiency so the conversion to electric is quite low. Razor Technologies uses the technique to generate power from low temp geothermal fields in Nevada. There is no good reason why a similiar system wouldnt work with solar. Unfortunately, I think the efficiency of the conversion would be lower than commerical solar cells with a heck of a lot more moving parts.

There is at least one company that did sell a small scale experimental unit on the web but it was quite expensive.

Comment

• SpaceOddacy
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Oct 2010

Yeah, explosions are always a risk and I hadn't taken that in to consideration!

It is far over my level of engineering to try and build one of these, at least I was on to something that was already made even if it isn't that efficient. It was based upon a theory that proved practical and totally doable, I may be slightly nuts but genius and crazy are a fine line apart.
                            [/QUOTE]

Comment

• ionized
                              • Apr 2010

Note that ammonia cooling is still used on an industrial scale. It is more efficient than the less toxic refrigerant gasses.

Sodium is a good high temp heat transfer liquid. There are some issues.

Comment

Working...