On Drugs, or at least Drunk? - Solar powered computer?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whocares?
    • Apr 2015

On Drugs, or at least Drunk? - Solar powered computer?

Hello everyone, I cheated just to get attention. Listen all I need some input. I want to build computers, however, I want to sell them with a solar panel that will power the computer, the monitor, the modem and the router. First of all I do know that there are an abundance of solar panels that are 12 volt (really many voltages) however, I am looking at 300 and higher watt panels. The problem is that their output is around 38 to 40 volts. Thanks to electric mini scooters that 36 volt Lithium Ion batteries are available for these panels to charge, however, computers and the components require 12 Volts. Another problem is finding a power supply that is rated at more than 100 watts that I do not have to put in a power inverter. Power inverters use power to run them and I cannot see increasing the voltage only for the computer power supply to reduce it. The reason for using the 300 watt or above panels is just a cost issue. It is a whole lot less expensive to wire one panel than a few to get 300 watts of power. Yes, I know carputers exist, however, I want to build full size, full powered desktops for homes and businesses. The sole reason for this is mainly to get some normalcy to get people to use solar panels. (I would love to see a computer power supply that used an MC4 connector). I am looking forward to your suggestions and thoughts.
  • jflorey2
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by whocares?
    Hello everyone, I cheated just to get attention. Listen all I need some input. I want to build computers, however, I want to sell them with a solar panel that will power the computer, the monitor, the modem and the router. First of all I do know that there are an abundance of solar panels that are 12 volt (really many voltages) however, I am looking at 300 and higher watt panels. The problem is that their output is around 38 to 40 volts.
    MPPT charge controllers will drop higher voltages from grid-tie panels to lower voltages (like 12 volts.) It is likely that you will be using a battery running at some multiple of 12 volts.
    Another problem is finding a power supply that is rated at more than 100 watts that I do not have to put in a power inverter.
    DC to DC switching converters are available off-the-shelf from a great many suppliers, and many retailers stock them. Vicor and Meanwell are both good suppliers; Digi-Key and Jameco stock such converters.

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

First, you need to calculate the power demand. Laptop, router, printer.... Powering a desktop computer will take quite a bit more solar than a laptop would. 3 hours of laptop requires half the solar that 6 hours needs, it all is a giant balancing act, loads, sources, storage.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• inetdog
        Super Moderator
        • May 2012

One other alternative, for the computer only, would be to get an airline/car power brick. The ones that are airline compatible can take an input of 18V DC or more. (not close to 36V though).

You will have a very hard time finding a single panel that can be used to charge a 36V battery (you would need two or maybe three in series), so I would take that off the table right now. (FWIW, there are upconverting Charge Controllers designed for golf carts that might work with single panels or panels in parallel and give you a 36V battery option.)
        24V would require a DC to DC converter, so as long as your power needs are low enough (300W total or less) you are probably better off with a 12V system.

Now, if the total of your power needs average out to 100W, and you are somewhere in the continental US, in the winter your 300W panel will at best provide about 900 watt-hours of energy, or enough to run your loads for a total of 9 hours out of every 24 IF the weather is perfect.

I would start out by getting a KillAWatt meter and finding out just how much energy your load package takes in 24 hours.
        Being off by a factor of two one way or the other will totally kill your system design, so the $20-30 expense of the meter will be well worth it.

PS: measure with several different brightness settings on the monitor as that may well be your largest power drain!
        Last edited by inetdog; 10-20-2015, 05:21 PM.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by whocares?
          Hello everyone, I cheated just to get attention. Listen all I need some input. I want to build computers, however, I want to sell them with a solar panel that will power the computer, the monitor, the modem and the router. First of all I do know that there are an abundance of solar panels that are 12 volt (really many voltages) however, I am looking at 300 and higher watt panels. The problem is that their output is around 38 to 40 volts. Thanks to electric mini scooters that 36 volt Lithium Ion batteries are available for these panels to charge, however, computers and the components require 12 Volts. Another problem is finding a power supply that is rated at more than 100 watts that I do not have to put in a power inverter. Power inverters use power to run them and I cannot see increasing the voltage only for the computer power supply to reduce it. The reason for using the 300 watt or above panels is just a cost issue. It is a whole lot less expensive to wire one panel than a few to get 300 watts of power. Yes, I know carputers exist, however, I want to build full size, full powered desktops for homes and businesses. The sole reason for this is mainly to get some normalcy to get people to use solar panels. (I would love to see a computer power supply that used an MC4 connector). I am looking forward to your suggestions and thoughts.
          Interesting idea. I would imagine that the way people are thinking is to get away from the "fixed" desktop computer and go with something much smaller, lighter and easier to use like a tablet or "pad".

I think the "desktop" (except maybe for some large gaming computers) has gone the way of the hard wired home phone.

"Portable" is the new trend with the current generation. Now if you can find a way for a portable solar panel (not one of those expensive low production flexible ones) that can charge a laptop in a couple of hours while on the move you may have something.

Comment

• Raul
            Solar Fanatic
            • May 2015

Honeywell do a new 50 cell panel that has a big voltage 50+volts , that would charge a 36v for sure . It's the latest 20 something% efficiency. It has been released in UK already and available online . Not sure this made it to US .

Comment

Working...