Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Castironpan
    • Oct 2015

Creek in the way!??

Looking at installing a ground mount. The location of the ground mount is approximately 400' away from the Main Panel. The problem is that half way through the trench there is a seasonal creek. It is dry now, but I am curious what issues I will run into with this? I have a feeling it is going to be a headache and would like to be prepared before I start working.

Any ideas?
  • Living Large
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Castironpan
    Looking at installing a ground mount. The location of the ground mount is approximately 400' away from the Main Panel. The problem is that half way through the trench there is a seasonal creek. It is dry now, but I am curious what issues I will run into with this? I have a feeling it is going to be a headache and would like to be prepared before I start working.

Any ideas?
    What kind of issues are you anticipating? Regulatory? Technical?

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

If you disturb the bottom of the creekbed, expect some agency to get upset if they see it.

I ran a cable suspended conduit over my creek. A solid anchor on either side, 3/8 steel cable, and hung the conduit with hose clamps from the cable.

This carried my 1.5" drinking water line, electrical service and 2" irrigation water lines for 4 years, but it eventually built a bridge to be able to insulate the water lines because they keep freezing up (sch 80 poly tube).

My seasonal creek is 30' deep and 60' wide, we call it the Grand Canyon.
      photo album of bridge placement, some shots you can see the cable bridge alongside the new $$$ bridge. Wife wanted running water in winter......

The bridge is at tree top level of trees in the bottom of the creek, I had to saw tops off to get the bridge in, you can see the cable next to me.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Castironpan
        • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Living Large
        What kind of issues are you anticipating? Regulatory? Technical?
        Both. I am unfamiliar with any code that is relevant to this specific situation when it comes to electrical conduit. And I am sure there are some regulatory things I will run into, I am just looking for an Idea of what that might be prior getting yelled at by some building department or environmentalist group. Part of me just wants to dig through it and pretend it doesn't exist.

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Both. I am unfamiliar with any code that is relevant to this specific situation when it comes to electrical conduit. And I am sure there are some regulatory things I will run into, I am just looking for an Idea of what that might be prior getting yelled at by some building department or environmentalist group. Part of me just wants to dig through it and pretend it doesn't exist.
          I suggest you dig really deep or go over the creek. By the way water will ALWAYS find a way to get into a pipe at a couplings or fitting. Even sprinkler pipes leak. So the wires will get wet.

Comment

• foo1bar
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2014

AFAIK there isn't any NEC issue with being underground under water. But you'll want to make sure the cables going through the conduit that you bury (or suspend) are in good shape - no nicks in the insulation or anything.

Whether there's issue with digging/trenching in a waterway - that's something that depends a lot on your state and what kind of waterway and how they treat it. (and also whether there's anyone that would see it that anyone would even know)

Comment

• Living Large
              Solar Fanatic
              • Nov 2014

You did not list your state (if US) or the feds. I am crossing a creek in NYS, and had to go through the DEC (state regulator) and US Army Corps. In my case the creekbed is owned by others. The water itself is state or government owned. Do you own the land on both sides of the creek and the creekbed? Any wetlands? Floodplain?

Regulatory agencies are concerned about what material may flow into the creek as a result of excavation/fill; if the creek water would be diverted (unlikely in your case). Also disturbance of wetlands, as applicable. Where are you located (state, etc)?

Comment

• Living Large
                Solar Fanatic
                • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Mike90250
                My seasonal creek is 30' deep and 60' wide, we call it the Grand Canyon.
                photo album of bridge placement, some shots you can see the cable bridge alongside the new $$$ bridge. Wife wanted running water in winter......

The bridge is at tree top level of trees in the bottom of the creek, I had to saw tops off to get the bridge in, you can see the cable next to me.
                That is an impressive project, and well documented. Others here may have previously seen it - I had not.

Comment

Working...