Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mike_n
    • Sep 2015

pg&e net meter rate increase

Just got a letter from pg&e stating they're going to basically double the meter charge from $4.50 to $10.00...I'm sure you all got the same letter...I was wondering how many of you would like to start a petition to make this go away...I know $5.00 isn't much but where does it stop??? let me know what you think...
  • sensij
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by mike_n
    Just got a letter from pg&e stating they're going to basically double the meter charge from $4.50 to $10.00...I'm sure you all got the same letter...I was wondering how many of you would like to start a petition to make this go away...I know $5.00 isn't much but where does it stop??? let me know what you think...
    That debate is over... $10 min charge is better than $10 / month fixed charge, or more, which is what the power companies wanted.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• skipro3
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2015

Minimum charge should apply per bill. As a net meter solar customer, I'm billed once a year at true-up. So how is it that there is a $10 per month charge? Nothing about my account is monthly other than this charge.

And just to clarify, the PG&E website states a 'per day' cost of the smart meter. Nothing there says anything about monthly either.

Comment

• sensij
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by skipro3
        Minimum charge should apply per bill. As a net meter solar customer, I'm billed once a year at true-up. So how is it that there is a $10 per month charge? Nothing about my account is monthly other than this charge.

And just to clarify, the PG&E website states a 'per day' cost of the smart meter. Nothing there says anything about monthly either.
        It is true that the cost is listed as a daily minimum, but buried in the rate reform decision the CPUC ruled that it can only be calculated and applied monthly. Since the number of days from one billing month to the next is not the same, the "monthly" minimum charge varies depending on the number of days. If you have a net export *day*, the minimum won't get you, but if you have a net export *month*, it will.

The monthly charges will accumulate, and will need to be paid at the annual true-up. Solar credits can not directly offset the charge, although if you overproduce and receive the DLAP rate (~.04 / kWh), that cash can be applied toward it. Likewise, the CA Climate Credit that you receive twice a year will also just accumulate, and either be paid out to you at true-up, or be used to offset some of the monthly minimum.

Mostly, the monthly minimum is yet another reason why sizing to offset 100% of consumption isn't the most cost-effective choice.
        CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by sensij
          It is true that the cost is listed as a daily minimum, but buried in the rate reform decision the CPUC ruled that it can only be calculated and applied monthly. Since the number of days from one billing month to the next is not the same, the "monthly" minimum charge varies depending on the number of days. If you have a net export *day*, the minimum won't get you, but if you have a net export *month*, it will.

The monthly charges will accumulate, and will need to be paid at the annual true-up. Solar credits can not directly offset the charge, although if you overproduce and receive the DLAP rate (~.04 / kWh), that cash can be applied toward it. Likewise, the CA Climate Credit that you receive twice a year will also just accumulate, and either be paid out to you at true-up, or be used to offset some of the monthly minimum.

Mostly, the monthly minimum is yet another reason why sizing to offset 100% of consumption isn't the most cost-effective choice.
          IMO sounds like the POCO's are fighting back with people that are true Co-generators and competing with them instead of a homeowner that just wants to reduce their bill by getting out of the higher tier charges.

ROI should have always been based on what you do not have to "purchase" because of what you generate instead of trying to generate in excess of 100% of your consumption.

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

California does not pay enough, it should be 4 times higher.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• Yaryman
              Banned
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Sunking
              California does not pay enough, it should be 4 times higher.
              I'm sure PG&E is working on making that happen.

Comment

• sdold
                • Jun 2014

Originally posted by mike_n
                I don't think $10 a month is much at all for the service. Not only do I get to use them as a "storage battery" for my solar panels, but they provide a nearly 100% reliable source of power. I have a radio building on a mountain top that lost power a few months ago and PG&E went up in the middle of the night to check it out. They've done this in the past and found the problem was on my end and they didn't charge me a thing. This time it was on their transformer and they worked hard in the middle of the night to get my power back on. If I had solar and generated as much power as I used, would I expect to never pay them anything? No sirree bob, I wouldn't. It doesn't make sense to buy no power, pay nothing and still expect them to maintain my connection. I know you probably feel the same way, I'm just saying I don't think $10 a month is bad at all. It seems like a bargain. It's like paying for a POTS line that you never use except in emergencies (only cheaper).

Comment

Working...