X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crxvfr
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2010

ha, 31 feet.

The rest of that pretty much explains why I am doing this now. Sure it might not be cost effective but hopefully at some point in time when electricity gets much much more expensive, maybe too expensive, I'll be able to generate at least a little by myself. Just having the ability to run tools so you can make/fix things would be a huge benefit at that point.

You never fail to impress me. ..but I'll probably always be here to pester you (guys) about viability.

Dialectical thinking vs. Aristotelian logic, better than big time wrestling!

Comment

• MarineLiner
      Solar Skipper
      • May 2009

Originally posted by crxvfr
      "solar powered boat"
      How ya like that MarineLiner?

Comment

• russ
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2009

This line brings up the good side of 99% of the green sites out there. They are not confused by engineering, science, practicality or cost!

They just like things because they consider them 'neat' and want someone to bring the silly side into production.

Sunking is very correct - a small generator will easily provide 5 kW at a very low cost compared to the truck. The turbine on top is a real laugher.
        Last edited by russ; 06-22-2010, 09:41 AM. Reason: spelling
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• dave
          • Apr 2010

[QUOTE=Sunking;10050]

2 My big personal problem is entitlements. Here is a clear example that should really piss you off. Last year I completed a 500 KW grid tied system for a Walmart in Plano Texas near where I live. Due to the size and scope of the project it cost Walmart $4.90 per watt installed for a total of $2,450,000. Sounds wonderful huh?

Well guess what? Between Federal, state, and forced Feed In Tariffs paid by the utilities it ended up costing Walmart less than $100,000. Care to guess where that money came from? You the tax and electric rate payer. The system generates 2.55 Mwh a day. About 5% of the energy the store uses in a day.

Wow - they use 50 mw a day or 2 mw an hour! Talking about energy inefficiency. My house at peak (air conditioning on) uses 3.5kw for 1200 square feet - this would mean that they must have a store that is 685714 square feet - I thought that their largest store was 261000 square feet. They could use an energy efficiency consultant - In Manitoba we call the program Power Smart - this would be a better use of government funds.

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

[QUOTE=dave;10214]
            Originally posted by Sunking
            Wow - they use 50 mw a day or 2 mw an hour! Talking about energy inefficiency. My house at peak (air conditioning on) uses 3.5kw for 1200 square feet - this would mean that they must have a store that is 685714 square feet - I thought that their largest store was 261000 square feet. They could use an energy efficiency consultant - In Manitoba we call the program Power Smart - this would be a better use of government funds.
            No the store is around 120,000/ft2 and is one of the most energy effecient buildings of its kind on the face of the earth. You may not realize just how much energy a retail with a grocery store uses. The walkin freezers and coolers have fork lift, hundreds of open coolers and and countless enclosed freezers and coolers. Then you have huge air conditioner load. A typical home electrical service is usually around 3 to 5 Va per squate foot. A Walmart is up around 100 VA per square foot.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• MarineLiner
              Solar Skipper
              • May 2009

Originally posted by Sunking
              Last year I completed a 500 KW grid tied system for a Walmart in Plano Texas near where I live.
              Due to the size and scope of the project it cost Walmart $4.90 per watt installed for a total of $2,450,000.

Comment

• russ
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2009

It is a shame fools waste their time and money on a turkey like this. It will not make anyone aspire to buy one and proves nothing other than you can stick a solar panel anywhere.

Kind of like driving a car burning waste vegetable oil from coast to coast and saying what a wonderful thing one id doing.

I saw solar panels on a cargo ship - they convinced the writer it was a serious amount of power but they could, maybe, power the ship in port.

WalMart did a smart thing - they got about a zillion points with the greens for the solar systems while it cost them next to nothing. They hired some very good PR people a couple of years back.

Sorry to join the others in being a wet blanket but there are neat things to do out there that don't have the jazzy look that would be useful.
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• MarineLiner
                  Solar Skipper
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by russ
                  It is a shame fools waste their time and money on a turkey like this. It will not make anyone aspire to .....
                  Kind of like driving a car burning waste vegetable oil from coast to coast and saying .....
                  I saw solar panels on a cargo ship - they convinced the writer it was a serious .....
                  WalMart did a smart thing - .....

Comment

• russ
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2009

No - In American slang turkey means something that is more or less useless or a dud.

Turkey with a capital T means where I live.
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• MarineLiner
                      Solar Skipper
                      • May 2009

Thanks for the additional know-how/lesson. Just know it now.

Comment

• russ
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jul 2009

Every country and language has so much slang it is difficult to understand sometimes.

What is funny in one language turns out meaningless in another. I enjoy plays on words and that really doesn't translate!

I learn a bit on that 'know how' every time I am out in public.

A fun and interesting of the multinational aspect of some blogs.
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• crxvfr
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jun 2010

[QUOTE=MarineLiner;10236]

Comment

• MarineLiner
                            Solar Skipper
                            • May 2009

Yes, i'm sorry.
                            That post talk about 500kWh system.
                            So, retired from hotel computer system, the word about buying a complete system still in my mind.
                            I regret that i turn it 180. As you said, i had language barrier & spirit.

Comment

Working...