SRP (Arizona POCO) hits solar customers with $50/month fee. APS next?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian S
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2011

I opted to be on the demand plan before solar because I had looked at the alternatives and as long as I was careful, it saved me money - maybe $100 a year. It also prodded me to ditch the electric dryer for a gas one and I'd heartily recommend that to anyone who can. But during those peak hours, my only major unavoidable source of consumption was the AC. Although, with SRP's plan extending to 8 PM, it would be a bit tricky avoiding using the oven: maybe lots of takeout, microwave and BBQ in the summer?!!

Comment

• HX_Guy
      Solar Fanatic
      • Apr 2014

Went out and took a look at both my APS meters, kind of interesting...

The solar meter shows a total of 467kWh produced with a demand total of 10.544kW (I assume this was the max it recorded in a 1 hour period?).

The service panel meter shows 156kWh delivered by APS, 10 of it being on-peak and a Demand of 2.91kW. Also shows a total of 337kWh received by APS with 140kWh of those being on-peak, with a received Demand of 8.63kW.

So if I'm understanding this right, I should have a credit of 181kWh at this point (337 produced, 156 used)? Total produced was 467kWh this month so far, so the "missing" 130kWh were used by the house and never made it to APS's grid?

Also a couple strange things...why is it showing me on-peak figures if I'm on the standard plan? Or maybe it keeps track regardless of plan?
      And then why don't the Demand numbers (produced vs received) match up?

Comment

• AZHIGH
        • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Sunking
        The only people getting screwed are your neighbors paying artificially higher electric rates to pay for your luxury and comfort. Time for you to start paying up and carry your own weight. You can afford to pay your own way without your neighbors help.
        Sunking: Care to elaborate here? Maybe I am mistaken, but tell the neighbors to buy solar rather lease that BMW. Solar customers save utilities $$ by not having to build bigger power plants, that is huge and often overlooked. Maybe I am misinterpreting your post?

-KC

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by AZHIGH
          Sunking: Care to elaborate here? Maybe I am mistaken, but tell the neighbors to buy solar rather lease that BMW. Solar customers save utilities $$ by not having to build bigger power plants, that is huge and often overlooked. Maybe I am misinterpreting your post?

-KC
          What you are misinterpreting is that people installing solar WILL NOT reduce the need of power plants and will not save Utilities $$. The entire concept is false and misleading.

Sure solar (which I fully support) needs to be added to the portfolio of power generation. But RE can't provide our needs 24/7.

Until a low cost "energy storage" system is found and deployed we will always need fossil fuel or nuclear power generation plants because they can run 24/7.

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle
            What you are misinterpreting is that people installing solar WILL NOT reduce the need of power plants and will not save Utilities $$. The entire concept is false and misleading.

Sure solar (which I fully support) needs to be added to the portfolio of power generation. But RE can't provide our needs 24/7.

Until a low cost "energy storage" system is found and deployed we will always need fossil fuel or nuclear power generation plants because they can run 24/7.
            +1. Reality bites huh ?

Comment

• DanKegel
              Banned
              • Sep 2014

It'll be interesting to see what happens as demand charges are
              instituted, and something (e.g. the inverter, or a smart meter, or the utility's cloud, or some combination)
              starts tweaking appliance set points to reduce demand when
              power is scarce or expensive. That might increase how much solar
              can help without requiring storage... and could make a little bit of
              storage more effective.

Just gotta wait for demand charges to arrive, and for Adam Smith's invisible hand to start moving in response.

Comment

• Ian S
                Solar Fanatic
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by DanKegel
                It'll be interesting to see what happens as demand charges are
                instituted, and something (e.g. the inverter, or a smart meter, or the utility's cloud, or some combination)
                starts tweaking appliance set points to reduce demand when
                power is scarce or expensive. That might increase how much solar
                can help without requiring storage... and could make a little bit of
                storage more effective.

Just gotta wait for demand charges to arrive, and for Adam Smith's invisible hand to start moving in response.
                Here in Arizona, we've had demand rates since the early 90's if not before. But they've been an option not mandatory. Prior to installing solar, I'd been on a combination of TOU and demand as that saved me a little over the other rates available. It does require some appliance juggling and many opt to install a load controller to make it easier. God help you if you screw up and have a bunch of major appliances on at the same peak time! I got so sick and tired of having to deal with scheduling the electric dryer that I replaced it with a gas one. I already had a gas water heater. I still have an electric stove so when that dies I'll see about getting a gas one. No swimming pool so no pump to consider. In the process of replacing all incandescent lighting with LED. Still have some old fashioned fluorescent fixtures and wondering if it makes sense to switch them too.

Comment

• DanKegel
                  Banned
                  • Sep 2014

Yup, one of these days, all those appliances will essentially have
                  load controllers built in. It's going to be like Frankenstein's monster
                  at first, involving internet connections to faraway lands. Such is progress.

FWIW, my favorite LEDs these days are Sylvania / Osram's. They buzz a
                  little less than Cree's, and the light's great.

Comment

Working...