Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • junkdog8
    • Oct 2013

power generation

i am trying, and have been for a little while; to figure out how much energy would be created in a 4 hour time period by a 10' by 5' solar panel at peek hours and conditions. i know it may be a little weird if it would be easier to just do the energy output per hour that is fine. i am trying to get the information i need for a theory i am working on. thanks for any help.
  • russ
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2009

Light received at earth's surface at solar noon for a short while is in the 800 to 1000 watts per square meter range. Of that you capture whatever the efficiency whatever the cell efficiency is - say 8 to 17% depending on cell quality.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• inetdog
      Super Moderator
      • May 2012

Originally posted by russ
      Light received at earth's surface at solar noon for a short while is in the 800 to 1000 watts per square meter range. Of that you capture whatever the efficiency whatever the cell efficiency is - say 8 to 17% depending on cell quality.
      Depending on what latitude you are at, the "peak" hours may range a couple of hours either side of solar noon, unless your capture device can be aimed.

Note that the 800-1000 watts per m2 is for an area perpendicular to the sun direction, not the area of the earth's surface below it or shaded by it (unless you are at the Equator.)

In much of the US, the total for an entire 24 hour period is equal to between 2 and 5 times the peak hour rate if you use a fixed array.
      Low end in Winter, high end in Summer.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...