X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bodaman
    • Sep 2012

Thin Film vs Moncrystalline

Hello All,

I am debating the purchase of thin film or mono panels. I live in Texas and it's very hot so I assume that thin film is best for me because mono is not as efficient at high temps. They are selling thin film panels on Craig's List in my area for $0.75/watt. Are my assumptions about thin film correct and is does this price seem reasonable?

Regards,
    JS
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Not even close. Stay away from Thin Film, the heat and sun destroys them and you would be replacing them about every 5 years along with the batteries. There is a reason they are selling on Craig's List so cheap.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Bodaman
      • Sep 2012

Hello Sunking,

How can I tell the difference between good and bad. Is there a list here of products to avoid? I arrived at my assumption after a quick internet search. Why is there so much dissenting information.

Confused,
      JS

Comment

• russ
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Bodaman
        Hello Sunking,

How can I tell the difference between good and bad. Is there a list here of products to avoid? I arrived at my assumption after a quick internet search. Why is there so much dissenting information.

Confused,
        JS
        Thin film has a very poor track record to date - it is always better to let someone else be the sucker with unknowns.

Mono or poly panels are available in the 1.00$ range - the 25 cents would be well spent.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by russ
          Thin film has a very poor track record to date - it is always better to let someone else be the sucker with unknowns.

Mono or poly panels are available in the 1.00$ range - the 25 cents would be well spent.
          russ

You are correct that the cost difference is not enough to go with thin film. The only time I have seen it's cost advantage if the homeowner already has a metal roof facing South at a good angle. The thin film installation costs would go down since there is not need for any structure to to be added to mount the solar cells to. You just peel and stick the thin film to the metal roof.

Unfortunately you still have the lower efficiency of the thin film and the degradation from heat since there is no way to cool something stuck to a metal roof.

I feel mono-crystal as being the best direction to go.

Comment

• Jbergess
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by russ

Bodaman,

Russ is right, as is Sunking. Thin film just doesn't have a good track record. It's not worth the risk. Monos and polys are really cheap right now. You can find them in the $0.82 ~ $1.00 range these days. If you are looking to purchase from a company you haven't dealt with in the past, a few suggestions:

1) Ensure these are "A" grade panels. "A" grade panels are free of defects, blemishes, etc.

2) Ensure it has a industry standard warranty. This is a 25 year power output warranty (prorated down to 80% output), and a 10 year warranty on workmanship.

3) Research the manufacture of the panels. You may want to go with a company that's been manufacturing for a fair amount of time, or a company that's been around for a while. If it's a new, start up manufacture that's been making panels for 6 months, and they go under, your warranty is valueless.

Alternatively, other companies give a "double warranty" like Grape Solar. They match the warranty of the manufacture, so you don't ever have to deal with an overseas company if you ever have a problem.

These are just my own suggestions based on my experience. Beyond these, it's all about cost per watt, unless space is exceptionally limited. Mono's tend to be more expensive because they are more efficient. However, efficiency really doesn't matter all that much (unless you have limited space). It's all about cost per watt - to a degree. If you can get a larger panel for the same price, you have less panels, less to install, and that usually means lower labor costs too.

Generally, for homes, anything between a 230W and a 285W should be fine, and run you less that a $1.00/W.

Hope this helps!
            Please read the Forum Rules before you post. If you want to advertise, send a message to Jason.

Comment

• AirWindSolar
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
              Not even close. Stay away from Thin Film, the heat and sun destroys them and you would be replacing them about every 5 years along with the batteries. There is a reason they are selling on Craig's List so cheap.
              Is it just me, or does a solar panel that degrades in the sun remind anyone else of Chevy's fuel pumps that had components that weren't very gasoline resistant?

Comment

• Jbergess
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by AirWindSolar
                Is it just me, or does a solar panel that degrades in the sun remind anyone else of Chevy's fuel pumps that had components that weren't very gasoline resistant?
                Seems kind of silly, doesn't it? Like a windmill that isn't weather-proof.
                Please read the Forum Rules before you post. If you want to advertise, send a message to Jason.

Comment

• KRenn
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bodaman
                  Hello All,

I am debating the purchase of thin film or mono panels. I live in Texas and it's very hot so I assume that thin film is best for me because mono is not as efficient at high temps. They are selling thin film panels on Craig's List in my area for $0.75/watt. Are my assumptions about thin film correct and is does this price seem reasonable?

Regards,
                  JS

Read rule 40.

Rule 40. We Never Ever EVER Buy Solar Panels Off Of Craigslist. EVER.

PS-Thin film of any kind if for a residential install is worthless, too low efficiency, limited warranty, limited lifespan, stay away.

If you really want to buy panels you can find A grade panels from wholesalers for $1.00 a watt, I'd highly recommend spending that extra $0.25 a watt to get some quality panels vs the mystery product of the week from Craigslist. I have seen bad panels being used in installs and it is not pretty. They may also look the same but I've seen some crap panels that started developing bubbles all over the surface within a few months of their installation or dark burn marks...etc...etc.....you get what you pay for truly applies when it comes to buying solar panels off the open market.

If you're going for a 5kW system, an additional $0.25 a watt on the panels will run you about $1200 more for legit quality panels. In regards to warranty I would look for companies with long-standing histories in solar, with potentially stable business in other sectors that will be around for the long-haul, hopefully. I've always recommended and felt comfortable recommending companies such as Sharp, Panasonic, Schott, Centrosolar, Schuco, SunPower and a few more beyond that.

Comment

Working...