Lighting the dark (night) areas on earth with sun light conveyed from bright areas?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shmel
    • Jul 2012

Orbital mirror does not have to be geosynchronous. It should rise before sunset and go beyond horizon after sunrise. This brings the orbit to about 15 thousand miles. If two mirrors illuminate the same site, orbit would be roughly 10 thousand miles. From sparse information about Znamya project I understand that the idea was to have a swarm of several mirrors at low orbits which together were supposed to illuminate several different sites in different time zones. This was absolutely plausible project, and it is very sad that it was abandoned.

Comment

• billvon
      Solar Fanatic
      • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
      Would you say the required Federal Specification of Interstate Highways passing through a metropolitan area lighting system? Enough light to make out an object (no details, just an object) at 1000 feet sound about right? Be careful how you answer cause I am giving you rope to hang yourself.
      I have no intention of trying to meet any federal standards; not all that much a fan of letting government bureaucracy dictate technology. You can do so if you like.

Overall I'd be aiming for about 5 lux or about 5 times the illumination that the Moon provides at low latitudes. That's generally considered adequate for roads, and is around .01% of the intensity of sunlight. (Although I am sure it does not meet some bureaucrat's CYA requirements.) Thus you could lose five orders of magnitude worth of energy density from the mirror to the ground.

Comment

• russ
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by billvon
        So was this very Internet you are currently using to complain about how advanced technology is pure fantasy.
        Yep - Had my first connection in 1982. Advanced tech is great - fuzzy headed thinking is fuzzy headed thinking. Too many get confused between advanced and fuzzy.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• inetdog
          Super Moderator
          • May 2012

Originally posted by russ
          Yep - Had my first connection in 1982. Advanced tech is great - fuzzy headed thinking is fuzzy headed thinking. Too many get confused between advanced and fuzzy.
          Corollary 2 of Clarke's Law: "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• axis11
            Solar Fanatic
            • Mar 2011

[QUOTE=Shmel; the idea was to have a swarm of several mirrors at low orbits which together were supposed to illuminate several different sites in different time zones. [/QUOTE]

This is one of the reasons the project was abandoned. That swarm of mirrors beamed to a single point would be perfect weapon of mass destruction, same as mentioned earlier.

Comment

Working...