What are the most compact, yet affordable panels?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by dylanear
    The flexible photovoltaic panels of SP series with "Sunpower technolgy" are made with monocrystalline cells with efficiency greater then 22,5%
    That is amazing because Sanyo HIT Double is what science claims as the highest efficiency panel on the market today @ around 20%..
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Naptown
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Sunking
      That is amazing because Sanyo HIT Double is what science claims as the highest efficiency panel on the market today @ around 20%..
      They are talking individual cell efficiency not module efficiencyr.
      NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• billvon
        Solar Fanatic
        • Mar 2012

Originally posted by russ
        How go you get flexible crystaline silicon cells? It may be a different product but I don't see anyway to make a sliced cell flexible.
        I've used two versions of them. The original ones were made by Solarex, and were crystalline cells laminated onto stainless steel. Later version ones (forget the manufacturer) were laminated onto fiberglass which was also fairly flexible. Flexible enough to conform to boat hulls, not flexible enough to roll up or anything.

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

Sadly, we are speaking from real life experience, that the effort & expense, to install small, flexible panels, is way beyond the power you (ok, what I would expect) could expect to harvest from them.

The amphorus cells they are made from, degrade rapidly in a couple years, you need to see if the power spec is when NEW, or what it is expected to degrade to in 5 years. Often, that's a 50% difference.

As to your friend with full batteries by noon, I can't explain that, except maybe he did not use much that night.

A small genset & battery charger still looks to be the best option, after a good DC wire from the tow vehicle.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• billvon
            Solar Fanatic
            • Mar 2012

Nope, not even close. I have three areas on the roof, one about 16" x 34", two about 24"x36".
            The old BP 590's were quite efficient and were 20x46 inches. If you can tolerate some overhang they might be a good option.

Comment

• dylanear
              • May 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250
              Sadly, we are speaking from real life experience, that the effort & expense, to install small, flexible panels, is way beyond the power you (ok, what I would expect) could expect to harvest from them.

The amphorus cells they are made from, degrade rapidly in a couple years, you need to see if the power spec is when NEW, or what it is expected to degrade to in 5 years. Often, that's a 50% difference.

As to your friend with full batteries by noon, I can't explain that, except maybe he did not use much that night.

A small genset & battery charger still looks to be the best option, after a good DC wire from the tow vehicle.
              A: I never said exactly how much power I expect, perhaps I said how much I'd like. My goal for this stage is simply get as much power from a lightweight and low profile installation on the trailer roof. ANY other suggestion is not helpful. I may need more power later on from big movable panels or a generator. BUT THAT'S NOT WHY I STARTED THIS THREAD!

B: They are not amorphous, they are crystalline.

Comment

• dylanear
                • May 2012

Sadly I'm having no luck getting a reply from the US reseller of the Sunflex panels. My friend has received his panel after 3 weeks, so they are still selling and shipping panels. But answering any questions seems to beyond their capability these days. Sad. They seem to have the best panels for my needs, I just don't know if I have the time or patience to deal with such lousy customer service. If they've had some business issue preventing communication a boiler plate message would suffice. Perhaps they are selling all they can make and have no need for customer service. Ah, modern international business!

Comment

• russ
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2009

Sadly I'm having no luck getting a reply from the US reseller of the Sunflex panels. My friend has received his panel after 3 weeks, so they are still selling and shipping panels. But answering any questions seems to beyond their capability these days. Sad. They seem to have the best panels for my needs, I just don't know if I have the time or patience to deal with such lousy customer service. If they've had some business issue preventing communication a boiler plate message would suffice. Perhaps they are selling all they can make and have no need for customer service. Ah, modern international business!
                  Printed on crystalline my aching butt - the two terms contradict each other. Your friend is smoking something and spreading BS.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• dylanear
                    • May 2012

Printed on crystalline my aching butt - the two terms contradict each other. Your friend is smoking something and spreading BS.
                    I never said, my friend never said, and the maker nor seller ever said anything about the sunflex being printed. As I've said they are very thin crystalline cells laminated on a metal sheet.

The HQRP panels that are all over the Internet, those may be printed, may be crystalline, I've never seen them. The only reference to them being printed is that online review by a customer. The maker does claim monocrystaline. Who knows.

Comment

• russ
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jul 2009

A couple of places you mentioned printed on crystalline - just for the record.

I'm not 100% convinced the printed monocrystalline panels are super exotic/expensive tech at this point.

I am just speculating here, but they look printed, they claim to be monocrystalline.

The web-site picture that shows the panel semi-folded is roughly 1 or 2 degrees from the point where you start damaging the printed-on crystalline structure.
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• dylanear
                        • May 2012

A couple of places you mentioned printed on crystalline - just for the record.
                        I didn't mean to claim I never used the words and I have certainly quoted others using the term. I've never made the claim, 100% that any of these products were printed crystalline. Early on in the conversation I was less clear on what these flexible panels were. I may have speculated that the flexible panels might be some kind of printed crystalline tech, or at least pointed to claims by others.

From what I can tell now, while there is very credible evidence there are "printed on crystalline" cells. From what I can tell, in actual mass produced cells the printed part is screen printed circuitry on the traditional crystalline cells. Not the cells themselves. Yes indeed, as you say, it would be pretty amazing if you could print a substance and have it organize into large scale crystals. You say, "Printed on crystalline my aching butt - the two terms contradict each other. " You may think so, and I think I understand you logic, but they are used together by credible sources. That GA Tech paper says MOST commercial cells use printed technology. So it seems it's important to understand what those term used together mean. Circuits printed rather than using silicon lithography.

A very detailed explanation of Screen printed circuits on crystalline silcon:

While I'm pretty darn sure the Sunflex use solid, if very thin crystalline cells the HQRPs are a bit of a mystery. They advertise crystalline, but they look printed (they look amorphous, if they are crystalline, they are trimming any curves on the cells. They look completely rectangular. The comment by the customer who said "printed on crystalline structure" only adds to the mystery. He obviously isn't sure what he's looking at. Crystals thin enough to look printed? Amorphous that look crystalline? Since they are advertised as mono crystalline, good chance they are, just like the Sunflex.

Since it seems I can't get the Sunflex any time soon, I may order an HQRP panel from Amazon since I can have that overnight. Just to have a look up close, perhaps test if it's rating is anywhere close to accurate. The 30 watt is only $150. I'm at the point where I'd pay that just to satisfy my curiosity and hopefully, at least make up for battery storage losses, maybe even a bit of actual charging. If I do I'll post some close ups of the cells with a high quality macro lens. Perhaps even order a small panel and take it apart and look at one of these cells up close.

Comment

• crotalus
                          • Oct 2011

All the newest technology, highest watt per dollar panels I find are in standard, large panel sizes for large installations. Seems the smaller panels are generally pathetic in watts per pound, per square area and per dollar. Flexible panels for RV/Marine use are dramatically more expensive and have pathetic output per dollar/per area.

What are the most powerful cells that I can find in panels of various sizes? Smaller sizes. 12x24, 16x32, etc? What brands and/or technologies should I be looking for? Hopefully thin, light panels while still having some durability for being hauled down the road.
                          You didn't define "Affordable" but here is a nice 30 watt panel that will fit your needs.

Mod note - link removed - 8$ per DC watt hardly qualifies as cheap - and linking to competitors of our host is frowned upon.

I believe that BP is getting out of the market so these may be hard to find.
                          Last edited by russ; 06-24-2012, 07:13 AM.

Comment

• crotalus
                            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by crotalus
                            You didn't define "Affordable" but here is a nice 30 watt panel that will fit your needs.

Mod note - link removed - 8$ per DC watt hardly qualifies as cheap - and linking to competitors of our host is frowned upon.

I believe that BP is getting out of the market so these may be hard to find.
                            Sorry about that. I didn't intend to get anybody upset. I was showing the physical size of the BP SX-330J not an intentional link to a competitor.

He was looking for a very specific physical size that would fit on a 13' Scamp. I have seen this panel on a 13' Casita and have been told that it works fairly well. Sometimes you have to pay more for something that works. The definition of "Affordable" is also in question. If the cost of any product or service that you wish to purchase and do so is affordable, else you don't buy it.

Comment

• russ
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jul 2009

Dylanear - Your choice what you want to do. You apparently haven't read the forum rules even though you said you did.

That panel was a standard 30 watt panel - all crystalline of say 14% efficiency will more or less the same dimensions.
                              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• dylanear
                                • May 2012

Dylanear - Your choice what you want to do. You apparently haven't read the forum rules even though you said you did.

That panel was a standard 30 watt panel - all crystalline of say 14% efficiency will more or less the same dimensions.
                                Apparently there's fine print. No I didn't read every word of the many pages of legalese most sites have. But I'd be curious if you can point to the forum rules that are relevant to this discussion, I certainly didn't see them and assumed this forum was like most others I've participated in. I've spent many, many hours in various sponsored forums and none have censored links to competitors.

You can remove my membership if you want. It's of little use to me if I can't speak my mind.

Comment

Working...