Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • porkpiepete
    • Dec 2022

how much should my panel generate?

Hi, I am new to all this solar stuff. I have just had 6 panels rated at 405 watts fitted to my roof which has a westerley direction. I am in England and at this time of year we have around 7 hours of daylight. How much power would it be reasonable to expect on a cloudy day?
  • Mike 134
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2022

I'm at 42 degrees latitude (Chicago) and my 18 405-watt panels have produced under 1000 watts total on a rainy cloudy day.

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

If you check out something called PVWatts on the net and spend a bit of time (maybe 20 minutes or so) reading all the help screens, and take some care to get the inputs close, you'll get results.

Choose the hourly output option and look for the lowest daily output for December. That will be a decent 1st approximation for cloudy day outputs for the lowest output month of the year. Read the help screens again for how to interpret the results. Doing it this way is a bit of a bastardization of the model's intent but it'll give you better than a dart throw guess at an answer to your question.

Comment

• davidcheok
        • Dec 2022

Originally posted by porkpiepete
        Hi, I am new to all this solar stuff. I have just had 6 panels rated at 405 watts fitted to my roof which has a westerley direction. I am in England and at this time of year we have around 7 hours of daylight. How much power would it be reasonable to expect on a cloudy day?
        The Global Solar Atlas provides a summary of solar power potential and solar resources globally. It is provided by the World Bank Group as a free service to governments, developers and the general public, and allows users to quickly obtain data and carry out a simple electricity output calculation for any location covered by the solar resource database.

Selection your location, select residential, fill in the details.

Your panels should be facing south because the sun is all the way down there.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by davidcheok; 01-06-2023, 10:04 AM.

Comment

• AmyJones
          Banned
          • Dec 2022

On a cloudy day, solar panels will produce between 10 and 25 percent of their usual electricity production, though estimates vary. Naturally, the equipment's quality and the amount of cloud cover will determine this. It's significant to note that locations for solar energy installations are frequently found in overcast and wet areas.

Comment

• porkpiepete
            • Dec 2022

Originally posted by davidcheok

The Global Solar Atlas provides a summary of solar power potential and solar resources globally. It is provided by the World Bank Group as a free service to governments, developers and the general public, and allows users to quickly obtain data and carry out a simple electricity output calculation for any location covered by the solar resource database.

Selection your location, select residential, fill in the details.

Your panels should be facing south because the sun is all the way down there.
            hi Thank you for the link. As far as I can tell from the information I have put in I should be getting around 4 times more power out of my panels that I am. I didn't think everything was working as it should be.
            Unfortunately I have panels facing east and west because that is how my roof is so I changed the parameters to reflect this.

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

hi Thank you for the link. As far as I can tell from the information I have put in I should be getting around 4 times more power out of my panels that I am. I didn't think everything was working as it should be.
              Unfortunately I have panels facing east and west because that is how my roof is so I changed the parameters to reflect this.
              Use PVWatts. It'll get you numbers that are easier to interpret.

Comment

• davidcheok
                • Dec 2022

If you have both east and west panels, u need to work on each side independently.

As for clouds, it all depends. You can have cloudy but bright days or cloudy but gloomy days. What type of clouds and how high they are also matters.
                Share what your system is and what kind of production you are getting.

Comment

• venquessa
                  • Feb 2018

2.4kW East West Roof. England, in January.

If you average more than 100W you will be lucky.

Part of the problem is the sun elevation and the short day length. The other part of the issue, in winter the sun never gets anywhere near East West in the UK. It remains very much SouthEast to SouthWest.

Wait until June/July before you make judgement.

Comment

• littleharbor2
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jan 2016

7 hours of daylight is not the same as 7 solar hours which is based on the full midday output. You may only be getting 2 1/2 equivalent sun hours.
                    Average Peak Sun Hours (United Kingdom) - Climatebiz
                    2 Kw PV Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 460ah,

Comment

Working...