Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • azdave
    • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Bob Moffit
    Hi ChrisC, in response to your question about production vs. credit...
    FYI...member Chris C. has not been here since the single day he posted on July 18th. The only reason this entire thread came back up was due to "AmitBajpayee" posting some mostly useless comments about solar energy.

Dave W. Gilbert AZ
    6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• jflorey2
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Mike 134
      You may want to research how the minerals needed to produce a solar panel are mined. How much CO2 is generated to get those minerals. Not a very green process to make a green solar panel.
      Energy payback time for a solar PV panel is between 1 and 4 years depending on several factors.

Comment

• jflorey2
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by J.P.M.
        Part of what it needs now to mature is to get away from gov. subsidies and compete in a market free of hucksters, conmen and semi technical/semi educated people who can't make a living in any real energy business.
        That would be great. But there isn't a single market in the US that is free of either one of those things.

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by jflorey2
          Energy payback time for a solar PV panel is between 1 and 4 years depending on several factors.

If you really believe that document from the Federal Gov that I have a great bridge I can sell you.

I have run the numbers and here in Florida and I can maybe get $1000 per year savings for a 6kw system. With a POCO rate of below 12 cents per kWh my calculations come to more then 12 year payback which is a lot more than what that document states.

Comment

• foggysail
            Solar Fanatic
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by SunEagle

The sad part is that without fossil fuels just about everything you use that has plastic in it contains oil. Also unless you live where the cost of electricity is more than 25 cents per kWh solar is not and will never be cheaper then what the POCO charges me.

And more sad parts from today's WSJ. Their article explains '' We Can't Build Roads Without Oil!'' The essence of their article is windmills and solar panels will not get roads built.

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by foggysail

And more sad parts from today's WSJ. Their article explains '' We Can't Build Roads Without Oil!'' The essence of their article is windmills and solar panels will not get roads built.
              Without oil the country will grind to a halt even if we all switch to renewable energy and EV's. At least that is my opinion.

Comment

• bcroe
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2012

My opinion, we need to find ways to eliminate the polution that
                will poison everything. In the process we will greatly reduce
                use of fossil fuels, but never eliminate it. Bruce Roe

Comment

• AmitBajpayee
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2017

Originally posted by azdave
                  Once again, forum member AmitBajpayee has jumped into an old thread with some generic solar commentary that has no bearing on the original topic or even a related sub-topic that came up in the thread after the original post. Does no one else find this odd?

I really wonder if this membership is a bot that is test posting or maybe someone in India practicing their written English communication skills.
                  I might have misinterpreted the question, but, let me clear it out, I am a genuine user and not any bot. I answered about solar power usage and did not mean to explain any theories. Of course, I have opiniated about it, but I meant to say that solar power is the best renewable energy and it is environmentally friendly too.

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by AmitBajpayee

I might have misinterpreted the question, but, let me clear it out, I am a genuine user and not any bot. I answered about solar power usage and did not mean to explain any theories. Of course, I have opiniated about it, but I meant to say that solar power is the best renewable energy and it is environmentally friendly too.
                    What I meant was that having renewable generation like solar is great but being an EE for more then 45 years I also feel that renewable energy is not enough to keep the lights on all the time. We will still need other power sources to do that or people will have to learn a lot about reducing their power consumption at night when most places will not have power even with batteries.

I also feel the Nuclear energy is needed and green (does not release CO2) and we need to find a way to either eliminate the radio active waste or find a way to reuse it like they did in France for decades.

But that again is my Opinion.

Comment

Working...