Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bigbad
    • Jan 2022

Educational website

I was just perusing a list of YT websites. I am trying to find a source of basic information that will teach me what I know in order to calculate, buy and install a PV solar system. Can someone recommend one? There are a LOT out there. I am willing to put in the time to do the studying, but I would like you to help me zero in one something that is not going to be a waste of time, because the info is not correct, not well presented, not enough info or too much info.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

The book "Solar Power your home for Dummies" in the dummy series. in print, and sometimes a scanned PDF can be found online

Best place to start. Beware the scammers and the lease agents
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• peakbagger
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jun 2010

I second the recommendation. HomePower Magazine may be gone but their back issues are online. Lot of good info in there but the equipment information is dated. Between Home Power and John Wiles when he was paid by DOE to encourage code complaint solar I got my start in first SHW and then PV.

Comment

• bcroe
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Bigbad
        I was just perusing a list of YT websites. I am trying to find a source of basic information that will teach me what I know in order to calculate, buy and install a PV solar system.
        This generally requires knowing what your objectives are, and researching
        your electric energy needs over a year. Bruce Roe

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Bigbad:

How much knowledge, what type and to what depth to you want to go in your knowledge quest ?
          I started by studying the sun and the nature of solar radiation. I thought it necessary and it has paid dividends but I'd guess most folks probably don't feel it necessary to take the knowledge quest that far.

Similar to what Bruce wrote, what is your end goal ?
          What's the planned duty ? That is, what do you want to do with the generated electricity ?
          Off grid or grid tied ?
          Turnkey or DIY ?

As a start:
          As others have suggested, start with the dummies book.
          Then, If DIY, learn about electricity and construction particulars as they relate to PV hardware.
          Then, get familiar with building codes.

If turnkey, investigate vendors more thoroughly than seeing what friends/neighbor or Angie's list references have to say. Such sources may be well meaning but they probably know less than you do about what your goal is and what's needed.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Comment

• Warren93nature
            • Apr 2022

Originally posted by Bigbad
            I was just perusing a list of YT websites. I am trying to find a source of basic information that will teach me what I know in order to calculate, buy and install a PV solar system. Can someone recommend one? There are a LOT out there. I am willing to put in the time to do the studying, but I would like you to help me zero in one something that is not going to be a waste of time, because the info is not correct, not well presented, not enough info or too much info.
            In order to calculate the sizing and I will recommend theSize of a Solar Panel- Dimensions and weight guide, this guide explains the standard solar panel dimensions and also how to calculate the number of panels you will be needing. Also, if you want a little more in-depth knowledge regarding the annual solar energy output of a Pv, you can use this article to understand since it is easily understandable.

Moderator Note.
            Warren - you have been warned about posting spammy links However, since this was a response to a direct question, I will let it stay, at least for a while.
            Last edited by Mike90250; 04-29-2022, 01:32 PM.

Comment

• Ward L
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2014

You might be able to get "Solar Power your home for Dummies" at your library.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

Since we've not heard from Bigbad since his other post about wind vs. PV on 04/12, and no further posting by him on this thread since his OP on 4/09, I'd say the probability of hearing from him again is slim and decreasing. Maybe he got tired of being told there was no spoonfeedingly easy way to alternate energy.
                Last edited by J.P.M.; 05-04-2022, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Working...