Jeff Gibbs & Michael Moore's "Planet of the humans". Fossil fuels vs renewable

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rebar
    • Jul 2011

Jeff Gibbs & Michael Moore's "Planet of the humans". Fossil fuels vs renewable

Morning folks.. Hope your all doing well during these uncertain times..

Me? Seems like my life's in limbo at the moment, but I came to the conclusion years ago that buying solar panels and the equipment needed would take over twenty years to pay for itself at Iowa's 12 cents per kWh. Not to mention how cloudy or lack of solar resource Iowa has. The calc's I found always exaggerated what I payed by at least double to make it look like it would take 7 years! Considering that Ive read panels are only good for maybe 10 years, you get my drift..

The gist I get from this movie is... The fossil fuels required to implement renewable energy, is more than the fossil fuels renewable energy will save."

Search "Michael Moore Presents: Planet of the Humans | Full Documentary | Directed by Jeff Gibbs" on youtube and tell me what your take on this movie is.. And Michael Moore isn't the only person with this opinion. Do some searching and you'll find plenty either way.

Thanks!

Last edited by rebar; 09-18-2021, 07:16 PM.
  • Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

If we forget about saving the planet and just look at the economics, I wonder what conclusion they would come to? Probably a moot question since economics has never been Michael Moore's forte. I don't know much about the other guy.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Unfortunately even if everyone stopped using fossil fuels immediately the world will still get warmer due to climate change. At least those that live with high electric rates can get some type of payback by going with a grid tie system. IMO it really won't help the climate but it may help their finances.

Comment

• rebar
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Ampster
        If we forget about saving the planet and just look at the economics, I wonder what conclusion they would come to? Probably a moot question since economics has never been Michael Moore's forte. I don't know much about the other guy.
        Huh? Saving the planet?

I'm guessing you didn't watch the movie, because Gibbs is trying to tell us renewables requires 10 barrels of oil to save 5. It gives us that fuzzy feeling because of the lie, but depletes the earths resources even faster, than just trying to conserve.

Comment

• rebar
          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by SunEagle
          Unfortunately even if everyone stopped using fossil fuels immediately the world will still get warmer due to climate change. At least those that live with high electric rates can get some type of payback by going with a grid tie system. IMO it really won't help the climate but it may help their finances.
          I don't buy globe warming..

1) 1989 UN declared global warming will destroy most coastlines and turn USA into a dustbowl within 20yrs

2)1967 "experts" declared that mass starvation will destroy america by 1975

3)1975 experts warned that "global freezing" would put us into another iceage by 2000

4)1989 UN officials again predicted loss of entire nations by year 2000

5) 2006 Al gore/hollywood/political scientists predicted only 10years left before coastlines underwater (several year after book/movie deals al gore bought $8M beach front property near los angeles)

6)1982 UN declared by turn of the century that the environment devastation will be complete and worse than a nuclear holocaust

7)1970 USA democrats declared 80% of species will be extinct by 1995

8) Weapons of mass destruction was cheney and bush's lie to get us in the gulf war..

Its fear mongering.
          Last edited by rebar; 09-18-2021, 02:49 PM.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by rebar

I don't buy globe warming..

1) 1989 UN declared global warming will destroy most coastlines and turn USA into a dustbowl within 20yrs

2)1967 "experts" declared that mass starvation will destroy america by 1975

3)1975 experts warned that "global freezing" would put us into another iceage by 2000

4)1989 UN officials again predicted loss of entire nations by year 2000

5) 2006 Al gore/hollywood/political scientists predicted only 10years left before coastlines underwater (several year after book/movie deals al gore bought $8M beach front property near los angeles)

6)1982 UN declared by turn of the century that the environment devastation will be complete and worse than a nuclear holocaust

7)1970 USA democrats declared 80% of species will be extinct by 1995

8) Weapons of mass destruction was cheney and bush's lie to get us in the gulf war..

Its fear mongering.
            Well if you don't buy global warming then why is the climate changing?

I never said humans were the cause of global warming or climate change all I said is there is nothing humans can really do to stop it. The Earth is changing and if we plan on living here we will have to adapt to those changes but we can't stop them.

Comment

• chrisski
              Solar Fanatic
              • May 2020

trying to tell us renewables requires 10 barrels of oil to save 5. It gives us that fuzzy feeling because of the lie, but depletes the earths resources even faster, than just trying to conserve.

I'm a firm believer that most renewables work out that way. I also believe that for the individual, the only way to beat 10 barrels to save five number is to have grid tied solar, and after 7 years (or 20) you start making up for that.

Throw in batteries, and that changes everything.

Strange how the economics coincides with the true savings to the climate. An off grid system will never beat the grid tied KWH rate, but take batteries out of the equation, and they do. Almost as if we're paying for the 10 barrels of oil to save five barrels of oil.

Barring outliers like dumping nuclear waste in town to save costs, I think economics is a wonderful way to find the true cost to climate savings.

EDIT: I have not seen the movie, but find it hard to believe michael moore would say anything negative about climate change and say that solar energy is bad for climate change.

Comment

• Ampster
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jun 2017

Huh? Saving the planet?

I'm guessing you didn't watch the movie, because Gibbs is trying to tell us renewables requires 10 barrels of oil to save 5. It gives us that fuzzy feeling because of the lie, but depletes the earths resources even faster, than just trying to conserve.

You are correct, I did not watch the movie. I question the hypothesis that it will take 10 barrels to save 5. That sounds straight out of the many Koch funded studies that make similar claims. I don't believe statements like that until I have seen empirical data to support the hypothesis. The marketplace has not proven that hypothesis to to be true. Renewables like wind and solar are at parity on a wholesales level with fossil fuel generation.
                Conservation is important but there is a bigger transition taking place in transportation that is being driven by economics which will shift the consumption of fossil fuels from transportation to the generation of of electricity. The long term cost of operating a fleet of electric delivery vans may prove to be the driver of that transition. At this point it is just another hypothesis but one that has proven to be true in my nine years of driving EVs and having solar panels on the roofs of my homes.
                Last edited by Ampster; 09-18-2021, 07:18 PM.

Comment

• rebar
                  • Jul 2011

You are correct, I did not watch the movie. I question the hypothesis that it will take 10 barrels to save 5.
                  Maybe I should have required that anyone who replies here to have watched it? Please take the time to watch it instead of only reading the reviews..

Regardless, I made up the 10 barrels to save 5 figure.. But what if renewables requires 10 barrels of oil to save 9? Wouldn't renewables still be counter productive to world resources? And if it didn't, why hasn't renewables taken over?
                  Last edited by rebar; 09-18-2021, 07:34 PM.

Comment

• Ampster
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jun 2017

........ But what if renewables requires 10 barrels of oil to save 9? Wouldn't renewables still be counter productive to world resources?
                    I don't care how many barrels of oil it took to produce the 6 EVs I have either owned or leased in the past nine years and driven over 150;000 miles. I have done the math and those miles have been the least expensive per mile of any car with the possible exception of a VW I owned when gas was $0.25 per gallon.

Comment

• chrisski
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • May 2020

I will never watch anything by Michael Moore, but will be more than happy to comment on him.

Comment

• chrisski
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • May 2020

Regardless, I made up the 10 barrels to save 5 figure to get attention.. But what if renewables requires 10 barrels of oil to save 9? Wouldn't renewables still be counter productive to world resources? And if it didn't, why hasn't renewables taken over?
                        With that comment we are not far apart at all. Won't read a review of anything made by Michael Moore, never mind watching anything he's made.

Comment

• rebar
                          • Jul 2011

I don't care how many barrels of oil it took to produce the 6 EVs I have either owned or leased in the past nine years and driven over 150;000 miles. I have done the math and those miles have been the least expensive per mile of any car with the possible exception of a VW I owned when gas was $0.25 per gallon.
                          You just admitted the old smoke belching diesel you used to own might have been the cheapest, including the purchase price.
                          Last edited by rebar; 09-18-2021, 07:50 PM.

Comment

• rebar
                            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by chrisski

With that comment we are not far apart at all. Won't read a review of anything made by Michael Moore, never mind watching anything he's made.
                            Why is that? I always have a open mind regardless of who says it. And Moore didn't write it, Gibbs did.
                            Last edited by rebar; 09-18-2021, 08:08 PM.

Comment

• Mike90250
                              • May 2009

With or without government subsidies or tax breaks ?? as long as the government throws money at one item, nothing in that class can reflect the true price of supply & demand.
                              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...