Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help me understand my production rate vs my system size.....???? Confused...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kendalf View Post

"Surely you can't be serious!"
    "I am serious and don't call me Shirley".

Dave W. Gilbert AZ
    6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

Originally posted by azdave View Post

LOL ,
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74
      9.36 grid tied, Phoenix Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by sharpd1 View Post

How about a thick tarp or a roof type structure on top of the solar panels to be used to provide full shade during sunny days? The structure and/or tarp can be removed at night to allow for maximum energy production.

just a thought.
        That would work for keeping the panels cool. But they won't produce any power in the shade. No mythbusters test needed
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by azdave View Post

Came back to write this....now i don't have to. lol
          I was joking of course....sorry, missed the obligatory emoji at the end....

Comment

How about a thick tarp or a roof type structure on top of the solar panels to be used to provide full shade during sunny days? The structure and/or tarp can be removed at night to allow for maximum energy production.

just a thought.
            Quit thinking and please do not vote. Proof public education has failed.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post

Quit thinking and please do not vote. Proof public education has failed.
              How can you be so sure covering the panels completely wouldn't work in maximizing energy production?
              Last edited by sharpd1; 04-17-2018, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Came back to write this....now i don't have to. lol
                I was joking of course....sorry, missed the obligatory emoji at the end....
                Good one, I had to re-read it a couple of times. We have a font for that if you'd like to use it next time. I think it's "Comic Sans MS" and it looks like this:

In Japan's larger cities, rooftop solar panels are stacked vertically to save space.

Comment

Originally posted by sdold View Post

Good one, I had to re-read it a couple of times. We have a font for that if you'd like to use it next time. I think it's "Comic Sans MS" and it looks like this:

In Japan's larger cities, rooftop solar panels are stacked vertically to save space.
                  When I am being sarcastic I use that Comic Sans MS font in my comment followed by a blue smile face like this.

That way I hope people will know I am joking and not being serious.

Comment

This entire thread has ignored the conversion loss of DC watts to AC watts. It goes a long way to explain the OP's original question.
                    Last edited by DanS26; 04-17-2018, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS26 View Post
                      This entire thread has ignored the conversion of DC watts to AC watts. It almost totally explains the OP's original question.
                      hmm....could you elaborate?
                      I believe there was some discussions i had with my rep early on about the limit that Dominion Energy puts on residential installations before imposing fees/penalties. i believe he said as long as the system is below 10kW "DC", we're ok......we can generate 12,000 kwh 'AC" given my roof's position.

Did i get that remotely correct?
                      btw, how does that answer my original question? curious what you meant.

Comment

There is a conversion loss, sometimes referred as inverter efficiency to convert DC watts as generated by your panels to AC watts that sent to the home or grid. Your POCO has nothing to do with this.

One of your panels outputs 305 DC watts under ideal conditions.....but your inverter only outputs say 290 watts AC. Your original question was mixing apples and oranges.
                        Last edited by DanS26; 04-17-2018, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS26 View Post
                          There is a conversion loss, sometimes referred as inverter efficiency to convert DC watts as generated by your panels to AC watts that sent to the home or grid. Your POCO has nothing to do with this.

POCO? (yes, i did try googling it...

Comment

POCO? (yes, i did try googling it...
                            Power Company
                            OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Sorry I used an acronym.....in the electrical sense it only has one meaning:

https://www.allacronyms.com/POCO/electrical

Comment

I'm having a hard time understanding whether or not the "shading the panels during the daytime" comment was serious or a sarcastic response.

One thing I haven't seen covered (i skipped around a lot on this topic though) is pitch. Depending on where you live and the pitch in which you have the panels installed, that could also take away from your production, but being that you have a 7.6 kW inverter and you are sometimes seeing 8kW worth of production, then you are good.

Overall though, your location, and the pitch and azimuth of where the panels are installed all determine overall power production. They should have done a shade analysis as that would have shown you what the panels will produce throughout the year.

Again, if you have a 7.6 kW inverter, and they loaded it at about 130% of that with panels, your system is producing as should if you are seeing 7-8 kW peak production throughout the day.

Comment

Working...
                                X