Solar Panel Suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Panel Suggestion

I always thought I have a fair knowledge about solar panel until last week when someone reminded me to google even basic about Solar cooking. Facepalm

Now coming back to my question, I need some idea, if I want to go for complete solar to my guest house. On an average, we consume 300-350 units a month, so 10 units a day. So I understand 3KW should be good to cover up my need. What I am curious to know is:

(1) Does it matter in terms of better performance if I go with 250WX12 panel or 100WX30 panel. I dont have any space constraint
    (2) How long it may take to get my investment back? As per estimate by my partner, it will pay off within 2.5-3 years. Will it?
    (2) Local installer have quoted $13-$15K. I feel as if he is over billing me for the panel, so i plan to buy it from other retailers and get only the installation done from local? Is it the right choice or I should buy from local guy for instant support
    (4) Do brand matter or I should pick up the most cost effective one. If yes, then which brand I should go after. I dont have much idea on brand reputation and currently I am looking at:

(links deleted)

Also If someone knows, is it easy to claim 30% tax credit even when i buy online from walmart/amazon

Last edited by sdold; 03-18-2018, 12:22 AM.

The links you posted are for battery type systems for off-grid use and have no "pay off" due to the initial and ongoing cost of batteries.

Please tell us more about your needs and if the purpose is to save money, provide backup power in an emergency or to have a system that is disconnected from the grid. Since you mention a "pay off" period of 2.5-3 years (which is more likely to be 5-10 years for a grid tied system), I'm assuming you are not looking into a battery system, but a grid-tied system where you remain connected to the utility but supplement your power with solar panels. If you give us your location we can be of more help. You need to check with your power company that grid-interconnected (AKA "Grid-tied") solar systems are allowed and find out if Net Metering is available.

For a grid-tied system, the price you were quoted would be very high in the U.S. It is almost always better to buy the parts from the installer because he will then be responsible for the warranty of the entire system and will be familiar with all of the engineering required for those items.

Last edited by sdold; 03-18-2018, 12:51 AM.

Comment

OP: Get and read a copy of "Solar Power Your Home for Dummies" 20 bucks or so at bookstores or Amazon.

What you think is a "fair knowledge" is solely lacking in very basic information. You need a basic education with respect to energy conservation and then generation.

Get the book. The scales will fall from your eyes. Until you do, or somehow get a lot more information somewhere, you're spinning your wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
        OP: Get and read a copy of "Solar Power Your Home for Dummies" 20 bucks or so at bookstores or Amazon.

What you think is a "fair knowledge" is solely lacking in very basic information. You need a basic education with respect to energy conservation and then generation.

Get the book. The scales will fall from your eyes. Until you do, or somehow get a lot more information somewhere, you're spinning your wheels.
        You seems to be right. Let me do that first

Comment

Your requirements are not clear to understand. If you consult with a solar company with your requirement, it may help them to understand your needs better way, and they will guide you very well to solve all your problems.

Comment

Working...
          X