Cooking with solar panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

If, on days or at times when my array is producing a surplus, and during the time my array is producing such a surplus I bake potatoes in my microwave oven, am I cooking with solar energy ?

I've also made and cooked with solar ovens. That's fun, but that's actually the method that I'd consider quite expensive and impractical, particularly if time = money. Been there. done that. Have you ? Or have you just read about it ?
    Haven't used it but thinking from long time.My partner told me its not going to work out practically; so i thought the same.

Comment

Originally posted by murady009
      does anyone used one of these products?

how many mins it takes to cook meat in solar oven?
      AD links in your posts will prevent them from showing.

With the Solar Death Ray 2000, hot dogs take about 10 seconds, grilled cheese sandwich about 30 sec.

SDR_3000_2007.jpg
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

When you realize just how well solar power works, you have to wonder - why isn't this everywhere? Why don't they build solar panels on every house? Just use fossil fuels and electricity to supplement solar energy, for when it's not enough - but for many things, it would plenty. What a massive impact this would have on fossil fuel reliance and the environment, not to mention our energy bills.

Jon
        Last edited by JohnyWalter; 08-12-2018, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnyWalter View Post
          When you realize just how well solar power works, you have to wonder - why isn't this everywhere?
          You obviously do not know much about solar.

MSEE, PE

Comment

When you realize just how well solar power works, you have to wonder - why isn't this everywhere? Why don't they build solar panels on every house? Just use fossil fuels and electricity to supplement solar energy, for when it's not enough - but for many things, it would plenty. What a massive impact this would have on fossil fuel reliance and the environment, not to mention our energy bills.

Jon
            Because solar doesn't work the same everywhere all year. Even with supplemental power from fossil fuel there would not be enough ready to go if most days everyone was relying on solar or wind.

If people wouldn't have a problem when the power goes out then yes solar and wind would work but unfortunately it does not work 100% of the time 24/7.

Comment

Jon
              And when you do some actual and useful knowledge acquisition of the type that seems to be falling by the wayside, you will come to understand and see see how alternate energy can do many things, but is probably not the savior of mankind as those who would separate the solar ignorant from assets with the help of and their unknowing treehugger shills would like others to believe.
              Last edited by J.P.M.; 08-11-2018, 08:48 AM.

Comment

I know this is probably a bit off topic but referring back to the initial post of boiling water with solar electricity.

I've got a 12v 75W water boiler that fits 250ml of water. Takes about 30-35 minutes to boil it. If you just want a tee or a cup of soup that's not too impractical.

Not the one I got but similar. Probably takes an hour or so to boil the full 750, but at least you can have a little tea party with friends and family.

[url]https://www.amazon.de/Qiilu-Elektrischer-Wasserkocher-Zigarettenanz

Comment

Jon
                  Solar is good, but not as efficient or energy producing to solve many daily activities. Takes big, huge solar panels and setups to do it. An example is, let's say a tablet, why not putting a solar panel on the back? well it wouldn't even charge the device at full sun, takes too long.

Comment

Originally posted by ecuadoramalavida View Post
                    I know this is probably a bit off topic but referring back to the initial post of boiling water with solar electricity.

[...] Takes about 30-35 minutes to boil it. If you just want a tee or a cup of soup that's not too impractical.
                    Perhaps a bit off topic here but, the funny thing is we can have a solar panel at full power (full sun) in X place, and the efficiency of heating water is not as good as putting the same water on a black metal container... under the same sun.

I have played with special black tubing to heat running water under the sun. At full sun the temperature of the water coming out depends mostly on the speed of the running water. No movement? damn, it gets so hot is not comfortable for washing your hands, it gets that hot and takes very little time. The efficiency there is amazingly higher than solar->electricity->heater.

If someone wants to try for human consumption just be careful about the materials, sun + heat + water can leave chemical traces unless effectively designed. A poorly designed system can end up with hot water but not for human consumption.

My guess is home design has to evolve. Why? many people can have X amount of sun in the roof but no means to access it, no stairs, no nothing so they end up using only electricity (from the mains or the solar panels).

I used to have a big solar panel accesible in some part of my house (we get a lot of sun here). The funny thing is, it got so hot, you could use it to dry wet clothing, it was almost like a stove. So, any dark, metallic surface would do actually.

Comment

Working...
                    X