Cooking with solar panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be more specific:
    I'm living in a tropical country and only few times a week I cook myself.
    Going to a restaurant is cheaper here ...hehehehe

When I cook I cook Asian food and after preparing all the ingredients the (electric) cooking/frying takes only few minutes and two different kind of dishes max 20-30 minutes. So I thought I buy this 1000watt electric stove and use this instead of gas. Can I do this with a 100-120Wp system and 100-200Ah deep cycle battery.

Is it for the long term feasible (or recommendable) with such a relatively small solar system?

Specs of the stove:
    Features:
    • Adjustable temperature control with Off, Warm, Low, Med, and High settings
    • 1000 watts of power for faster cooking
    • Easy to clean heavy duty cast-iron flat heating plate
    • Cool-touch base and non-skid rubber feet for stable cooking
    • Power indicator light
    • 1000 Watts of power for faster cooking
    • Adjustable temperature control with Off, Warm, Low, Med, and High settings
    • Easy to clean heavy duty cast-iron flat heating plate
    • Cool-touch base
    • Power indicator light
    • Non-skid rubber feet for stable cooking

Product Details:
    • Product Dimensions: 10.7 x 9.2 x 3.6 inches
    • Item Weight: 3.9 pounds
    • Shipping Weight: 3.9 pounds
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gerard Fivewin View Post
      Typing error miscalculation and wrong terminology.

In a tropical country i perhaps can produce 500Wh with a 100-120Wp daily. My intention is to cook 30 minutes daily with a 1000watt electric stove. If i setup a100-120Wp system with an agm battery 100-200Ah i can achieve my goal OR NOT? That was my initial question.
      My answer was in Message #2.

Do you understand Message #2 OR NOT ?

Comment

Typing error miscalculation and wrong terminology.

In a tropical country i perhaps can produce 500Wh with a 100-120Wp daily. My intention is to cook 30 minutes daily with a 1000watt electric stove. If i setup a100-120Wp system with an agm battery 100-200Ah i can achieve my goal OR NOT? That was my initial question.
        Why bother with PV for cooking? Thermal is way cheaper and more efficient.

My $250 solar oven will boil water in 10 minutes after it's warmed up. Just set it out a 1/2 hour before you want to cook. My homebuilt one from scrap material that I had laying around will do the same in under 15 minutes. Once I build reflectors for it it should match the commercial one.

Comment

For only boiling water its ok, white_wolf or cooking pots. I cook like a chinese thus more frying and while frying adding ingredients. And i want to cook in the evenings also. Can you post picts of your thermal oven?

Neoh, yes i understand your figures. Its thus possible but is it advisable or do i need a bigger system when i want to use daily 500Wh for a longer life of the battery(bank).

Comment

No pics on mine at this time. Commercial oven is a SOS Sport oven with reflectors. You can google it. If you want to fry then build/buy a solar skillet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEY1qxVa5ro

Comment

For only boiling water its ok, white_wolf or cooking pots. I cook like a chinese thus more frying and while frying adding ingredients. And i want to cook in the evenings also. Can you post picts of your thermal oven?

Neoh, yes i understand your figures. Its thus possible but is it advisable or do i need a bigger system when i want to use daily 500Wh for a longer life of the battery(bank).
              Get 200 to 300 watts of panels. Mount them where they won't be shaded at all. Get a 200-220ah battery, appropriate charge controller and inverter and you should be good to go with the use you are describing. The wires from the battery to the inverter need to be sized properly as it will be over 80 amps if you are at 12 volts.

Comment

Thanks NothRick, i will follow your advice and start with 200Wp system 12volt with the right wiring voor this "cooking" setup.

Comment

Instead of ceramic cooking plate or older types of electric stoves i perhaps can use induction max 1000watt (also startup at max 1000watt)

Anyone ever (stir) fry and cook with induction with max 800-1000 watt ? Then i can just have a simple system as described above at 12volt. Inverter = 1000watt, so 12v is no problem then.

Comment

Even an 800w induction cooker (I've got one too, BTW) can be hard on a single battery 12V system. Heck, even my favorite pair of 6V, 200Ah Golf Cart batteries would be fading after half hour of trying to produce 80A. Sure the cooker will cycle OFF-ON after it heats up, but it's a pretty tough hit on batteries. A bank of at least 4, GC batteries would be needed, and because of the losses, needing at least 200-300W of PV array to recharge them, if you want to eat after a cloudy day. Yes, you can live off solar cooking 80% of the time, but you will quickly discover there are a lot more cloudy days than you think there are (unless you live in the desert)
                    A single GC battery has about 1140 watt hours in it, but it cannot process the chemistry for a half hour cooking session fast enough, so I think 4 of them wired series - parallel to provide a 12V 400ah battery, would be the minimum for your cooking job.
                    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Thanks for your tips Mike
                      Ive just read this:

http://www.rpc.com.au/information/fa...ppliances.html
                      Last edited by fivewin; 12-01-2017, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Solar panels cannot be used for cooking.Even though it sis possible to cook using these panels, it is quite expensive and impractical.One can cook with solar ovens that are available in the market instead of this.

Comment

Originally posted by carmelinasweeney View Post
                          Solar panels cannot be used for cooking..........
                          That's your opinion, and in fact, I have cooked with them.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Definitely something not right with this new member.
                            2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Trying to up his post count.

Comment

Originally posted by carmelinasweeney View Post
                                Solar panels cannot be used for cooking.Even though it sis possible to cook using these panels, it is quite expensive and impractical.One can cook with solar ovens that are available in the market instead of this.
                                If, on days or at times when my array is producing a surplus, and during the time my array is producing such a surplus I bake potatoes in my microwave oven, am I cooking with solar energy ?

I've also made and cooked with solar ovens. That's fun, but that's actually the method that I'd consider quite expensive and impractical, particularly if time = money. Been there. done that. Have you ? Or have you just read about it ?

Comment

Working...
                                X