Cooking with solar panels

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kb58
    replied
    Or just use a well-insulated glass-covered box and reflect solar energy into it - no need for PV panels.

Leave a comment:

• max2k
    replied
    Originally posted by Gerard Fivewin
    About insulated cooking, here is the video of Peter Schwartz

Yes, i understand watt/hours. It means that in theory its possible to cook electric for 30minutes with just a 100 Wp system incl batterybank.
    if you do then you would also understand any source of energy would do if you improve insulation - gas / coal / firewood included. Those researchers went into Uganda on public money with political agenda, not anything real. At the end I bet locals went back to their old ways so even that goal was not achieved. I think they would be more receptive if 'researchers' showed them the concept of chimney instead but that wasn't aligned with agenda I guess. What a waste ... I also understand someone probably did achieve their own goals not publicized in the video.

Leave a comment:

• NEOH
    replied
    Yes, i understand watt/hours.
    Then please explain this statement

My question is if i use a 1000watt cooking electric appliance, only for 30 minutes and use battery is it so that i only draw 300watt
    I do not understand how you "only draw 300 watt" ?

I say, 1000 watts x 1/2 hour = 500 watt-hours

Leave a comment:

• Gerard Fivewin
    replied
    About insulated cooking, here is the video of Peter Schwartz

Yes, i understand watt/hours. It means that in theory its possible to cook electric for 30minutes with just a 100 Wp system incl batterybank.

Leave a comment:

• max2k
    replied
    Ive been reading this:
    Cooking with solar panels: 1000 Watt of energy boils one liter of water in 6 minutes. If you want to cook with 1000 watt solar panel(s) it's still expensive. But if you insulate the chamber of the cooker you can boil a liter of water in one hour or in a day cooking 6kg of food using just a 100Wp solar panel only.
    (Peter Schwartz - Cal Poly Physics)

He does not use an inverter nor batteries.
    My question is if i use a 1000watt cooking electric appliance, only for 30 mintues and use battery is it so that i only draw 300watt and if i use a 100Wp panel i can produce daily 300watt or more. If this is the case i dont need gas anymore cause i dont cook more than 30 minutes daily and a 100Wp system is enough.
    you need to start reading physics 101 or try to cook - you'll quickly realize how flawed and impractical that 'solution' is. Is this what Cal Poly teaches nowadays or its name just being used to increase validity of the idea?

Leave a comment:

• peakbagger
    replied
    I cook with an electric oven and an electric range top with solar. It just happens to be with net metered solar

My PV systems were sized for my average load (plus some) and that included my electric range.

I always get a chuckle when I hear someone went off grid and bought a propane range and propane refrigerator. Basically swapping the propane supplier for the power company.

Some day when my range dies I may go with an induction cooktop or just buy one of the countertop versions. More efficient than a calrod element.

Leave a comment:

• J.P.M.
    replied
    You could benefit from learning a bit about energy and power, and how to insulate things.

Let's see, 1,000W/6 minutes = 100 Watt hours of energy. Assuming you're at sea level atmospheric pressure:

Even if you manage to supply all that heat without incurring any heat losses, you'll raise the temp. of 1 l of H2O by ~ 86 C. So, While in theory you might get close to a 100 C. water temp. if you start w/ H2O at ~ 14 C., you'd need to have the H2O in what would be pretty close to a perfectly insulated container to eliminate most/all heat losses. And BTW, you'd be at the boiling temp., but you'll have boiled no H2O at that point. To do that will take more energy. A lot more. Unfortunately, the near perfect insulation criteria would make any heat addition effectively impossible, creating a logical conundrum.

Stick with gas for cooking. Better, cheaper, faster. Cooking with electricity is like cutting butter with a chain saw.

Leave a comment:

• NEOH
    replied
    1000 Watt cooking appliance x 1/2 Hour = 500 Watt-Hour

google ... "difference between watts and watt-hour"

There is a difference between "power" and "energy".

100 Watt PV Panel x 6 Hours x 80% = 500 Watt-Hour ( NET )
    Last edited by NEOH; 10-12-2017, 11:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Gerard Fivewin
    started a topic Cooking with solar panels

Cooking with solar panels

Ive been reading this:
    Cooking with solar panels: 1000 Watt of energy boils one liter of water in 6 minutes. If you want to cook with 1000 watt solar panel(s) it's still expensive. But if you insulate the chamber of the cooker you can boil a liter of water in one hour or in a day cooking 6kg of food using just a 100Wp solar panel only.
    (Peter Schwartz - Cal Poly Physics)

He does not use an inverter nor batteries.
    My question is if i use a 1000watt cooking electric appliance, only for 30 mintues and use battery is it so that i only draw 300watt and if i use a 100Wp panel i can produce daily 300watt or more. If this is the case i dont need gas anymore cause i dont cook more than 30 minutes daily and a 100Wp system is enough.
    Attached Files
Working...