SREC's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SREC's

I am looking into buying a 6.270kw Solar System with an estimated annual output of 7.076kwh. I am trying to calculate the break even point for buying this system for $21,318.00, after deducting Fed tax credit of $7395, and state tax credit of $1000 when I do our taxes. How many SREC's will I get per year from this system? How many years will I get these SREC's? How do I convert these SREC's to cash? What are they worth?

Start with PVWatts for an estimate of average, long term output. multiply that est. by the SREC rate or whatever multiplier is in effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Lexnice View Post
      I am looking into buying a 6.270kw Solar System with an estimated annual output of 7.076kwh. I am trying to calculate the break even point for buying this system for $21,318.00, after deducting Fed tax credit of $7395, and state tax credit of $1000 when I do our taxes. How many SREC's will I get per year from this system? How many years will I get these SREC's? How do I convert these SREC's to cash? What are they worth?
      I think you mean 7,076kwh or 7.076 MWh annual, or rather first year.
      What state are you in, for SRECs?
      An SREC is 1MWh so if you live in a state with SRECs it would be 7 SRECs
      You can check out brokers like Srectrade.com
      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• rsilvers
        rsilvers commented
        Editing a comment
        I am going to claim that I use green power *and* sell the SRECs. Is that wrong? Once I sell them, I am not using green power because I am enabling someone else to pollute?

But yes, you will get 7 SREC2s in MA per year. They are worth about $250 each, so that is like $17,500 over 10 years. Too good to be true, right? I know. That is the nature of some government programs. It is like one of my other houses is getting $7500 in free insulation just because I am letting my father live there and he gets fuel assistance. If it were up to me, none of these programs would exist, and no store would have coupons or store cards or incentives, and I would just have lower taxes and lower prices, and the same price for everyone.
        Last edited by rsilvers; 05-19-2016, 01:12 PM.

• ButchDeal
        ButchDeal commented
        Editing a comment
        nope, once you sell the SRECs you have no claim. You have legally sold the right to the Credit.
        it is a market so you can't expect the to be at the same price indefinitly either.

• rsilvers
        rsilvers commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting. I will make sure not to tell people that I am using clean/green power. I will just say that I generate electricity with solar, but am selling them environmental benefits to others.

NH has a low SREC rate, nevertheless, I would rather cash my check for $250 a year for my SRECs then brag that I generate green power. I expect SRECs will go the way of the carbon credit market at some point.

Comment

• rsilvers
        rsilvers commented
        Editing a comment
        You are generating green energy - that is just a statement of fact. I think if you sell the SRECs, you can't claim that you are only consuming green energy even if you produce as much energy as you consume.

Think of it this way. If you were off-grid, and using only your own energy, then you would be consuming only green energy, but you would have no SRECs to sell.

Or you could sell your SRECs and just tell people you have solar on your roof, and they will assume you are producing and consuming only green energy.

peakbagger:I am being told that I will have 7 SREC2's per year to sell for a 6.72KW system. Why would you only have $250/year income from your srec's? How many do you get per year?

Comment

Peakbagger lives in NH. A NH SREC is worth much less than a MA SREC.

Comment

Originally posted by peakbagger View Post
          NH has a low SREC rate, nevertheless, I would rather cash my check for $250 a year for my SRECs then brag that I generate green power. I expect SRECs will go the way of the carbon credit market at some point.

Same here though I only get about 4 SRECs for my small system and sell in the PA market which is pretty low. My system is about having power all the time so selling SRECs only makes since.
          OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

I predict I will get 26 MA SREC2s a year. It is kind of like mining bitcoins.

Comment

I am working with a local SREC aggregater who will sell my SRECs into the market. The proceeds of the sale are direct deposited into a bank account. I think the soonest you can sell your SRECS is 3 months after the end of the quarter in which they were generated.

Comment

that is a nice post....

Comment

Originally posted by brewbeer View Post
                  I am working with a local SREC aggregater who will sell my SRECs into the market. The proceeds of the sale are direct deposited into a bank account. I think the soonest you can sell your SRECS is 3 months after the end of the quarter in which they were generated.
                  In the Midwest (IL and OH) you can sell SREC's the month after they are produced......trouble is you only get $15 to $20 each.

Comment

Working...
                  X