Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am just waiting for the partially transparent solar PV film that can be put on the windows of tall buildings to reduce the incoming light and produce energy at the same time.
    That one has at least a slim chance of actually working.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
      I am just waiting for the partially transparent solar PV film that can be put on the windows of tall buildings to reduce the incoming light and produce energy at the same time.
      That one has at least a slim chance of actually working.
      There are some windows that have some type of solar pv system embedded into it which will generate some amount of power. It still comes down to price justification. Are those more expensive windows worth the little power they generate.

Comment

Those darn entrepreneurs keep trying. Maybe it'll actually be cost effective someday. Like solar shingles... the latest company I heard of trying 'em is http://tractile.com.au They're even trying to integrate thermal + PV in one shingle. I wish them luck, they'll need it!

Comment

Originally posted by DanKegel View Post
          Those darn entrepreneurs keep trying. Maybe it'll actually be cost effective someday. Like solar shingles... the latest company I heard of trying 'em is http://tractile.com.au They're even trying to integrate thermal + PV in one shingle. I wish them luck, they'll need it!
          What has surprised me is the solar shingles that DOW are making seem to be holding onto a larger market share then most anticipated. Maybe it is because they have come out with something better (version 2.0) then their earlier products.

Comment

[QUOTE=DanKegel;n302679does have a 2.0 version using their own CIGS cells ( but the power per square meter still looks quite low. I think they're just stubborn.[/QUOTE]

I agree. And yet people continue to purchase their product so maybe the customers are just blinded by the fact their roof protects them from the weather as well as generate power. Which are both good things if you can justify the cost differential.

Comment

So as solar increases, what will happen to O&G industries?

Comment

Originally posted by Sunstar View Post
                They will evolve, change and adapt as the situation requires as will solar and every other source of energy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunstar View Post
                  They will continue to produce their products because and unfortunately solar will still be more expensive to use to generate power then fossil fuel.

Also oil is still the number 1 fuel for transportation, even if there is a major increase in personal EV's, large transport and flying machines will still require oil as a source of fuel.

Comment

Oil & gas will fight solar and wind tooth and nail

Comment

Oil & gas will fight solar and wind tooth and nail
                      They will simply do what businesses do in a capitalistic system and try to maximize their profitability. They have no personal vendetta - It's nothing personal - just business.

Comment

Exactly. Don't expect them to care about anything but profits; that's how they're built.

Hence, unless they themselves start investing in solar, expect them to oppose policies that will benefit solar.

Comment

Exactly. Don't expect them to care about anything but profits; that's how they're built.

Hence, unless they themselves start investing in solar, expect them to oppose policies that will benefit solar.
                          Actually both Shell and BP went deep into solar but determined it was not profitable so no longer have much association with it.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

Actually both Shell and BP went deep into solar but determined it was not profitable so no longer have much association with it.
                            BP started manufacturing solar modules and quickly got behind on technology.
                            A better fit would have been to install/maintain large utility scale solar, thermal hybrid systems like NRG.
                            OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post
                              BP started manufacturing solar modules and quickly got behind on technology.
                              A better fit would have been to install/maintain large utility scale solar, thermal hybrid systems like NRG.
                              I agree. In the beginning it looked like home solar was the direction to go but the cost was almost $10/watt installed price. That shut down a lot of early investors in the solar arena.

It wasn't until later that the POCO's started to get investment dollars to build the big arrays in the SouthWest then more panels were manufactured which drop the panel cost and also since they were higher in wattage that made it less labor intensive (and costly) to install since there were less panels and wiring connections. By then quite a few companies that had invested in the technology were off in other directions.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                                I agree. In the beginning it looked like home solar was the direction to go but the cost was almost $10/watt installed price. That shut down a lot of early investors in the solar arena.

It wasn't until later that the POCO's started to get investment dollars to build the big arrays in the SouthWest then more panels were manufactured which drop the panel cost and also since they were higher in wattage that made it less labor intensive (and costly) to install since there were less panels and wiring connections. By then quite a few companies that had invested in the technology were off in other directions.

all true. though I was hitting it from the technology side. They purchased a solar cell/module manufacturing company and put little money into it. Sadly, they dump a lot of money in just before getting out of the market. I live near the old Frederick MD plant site and watched the expansion then demolition of the site.
                                Technology companies like PV cell manufacturing, require continual and high investment in R&D and they were not willing to do that.
                                A new CEO was voted in and he demolished and sold off the assets, after making a speech about BP is an OIL company in opposition to the former CEO claim that BP was an energy company.
                                OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Working...
                                X