X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle

Even with the few problems the atomic generating plants have had, they have safely generated more kWh's then older fossil fuel plants. It just looks like people seem to fear nuclear more than climate change and yet nuclear is more green than RE.
    Over an engineering career, I had occasions to study/investigate failure modes/probability of power systems once in a while. Someone posited that the high reliability of nukes coupled with the gravity of a catastrophic failure might have some of the same characteristics as a Dirac Delta function at the point of meltdown. That's one way to look at it, but not real comforting, or practical on a day/day analysis.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.

Over an engineering career, I had occasions to study/investigate failure modes/probability of power systems once in a while. Someone posited that the high reliability of nukes coupled with the gravity of a catastrophic failure might have some of the same characteristics as a Dirac Delta function at the point of meltdown. That's one way to look at it, but not real comforting, or practical on a day/day analysis.
      I agree. While relatively safe a melt down of a reactor can result in far worse situation then years of acid rain or oxides from the coal plants.

Still I have high hope for the generation III reactors. Too bad only those are being built outside the US.

Comment

• DanKegel
        Banned
        • Sep 2014

Even with the few problems the atomic generating plants have had, they have safely generated more kWh's then older fossil fuel plants. It just looks like people seem to fear nuclear more than climate change and yet nuclear is more green than RE.
        Ask the folks in Fukushima if they agree.

That said, the fixes for the problems that happened there seem simple. Even current nuclear designs can be relatively safe, as long as we keep applying lessons learned from past problems.

California doesn't have many coal-fired power plants in state.
        The LADWP is selling its interest in an out of state coal-fired plant, but for environmental reasons, not political ones.

Comment

• Beanyboy57
          Solar Fanatic
          • Apr 2012

Originally posted by compchat
          My install was finished just before Christmas. Since that time we've had nothing but rain/clouds and it appears because of el nino that we will have that ugly weather through april 2016.

So far this year (Jan) I've made 208 KWh with a 11 KW system.

Typically is solar generation this poor in S. CA during the winter months? Hardly seems like it is worth the investment. What have others generated so far this month (Jan 1-11)?

I have a 3kw system installed on my home in Western Australia, I believe we have similar climate to California. You can see how much is produced for yourself. Our winter months are June, July and August. I am surprised at the output of your large system.
          Cheers
          Jon
          2016-01-18 (3).png

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Beanyboy57
            I have a 3kw system installed on my home in Western Australia, I believe we have similar climate to California. You can see how much is produced for yourself. Our winter months are June, July and August. I am surprised at the output of your large system.
            Cheers
            Jon
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]n300817[/ATTACH]
            Are those #'s for 2 month periods ?

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by DanKegel

That said, the fixes for the problems that happened there seem simple. Even current nuclear designs can be relatively safe, as long as we keep applying lessons learned from past problems.

California doesn't have many coal-fired power plants in state.
              The LADWP is selling its interest in an out of state coal-fired plant, but for environmental reasons, not political ones.
              Concerning Fukushima, it was a terrible event and I feel bad for the loss of life and property that resulted from it.

But when it comes to fear, I guess we can ask the same question to people that live in earth quake zones or close to dormant volcanoes. Both areas have the potential for major loss of property and life yet I do not see people fearing the outcome of a natural disaster as much as compared to man made mistakes.

I would disagree with you concerning the motivation for companies and states to cut themselves or sell off coal-fired plants. IMO it is a combination of environmental AND political.

Comment

• jflorey2
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2015

They'd probably give you an answer. They might talk about the annoyance of having to move. The ~7000 people a year who die from coal pollution in the US wouldn't be able to answer such a question about coal power. Their families might feel pretty strongly about it, though.

Every technology has risks. If Fukushima - an accident that killed no one - represents the worst case accident with modern reactor technology it is definitely one of the safer methods of generating power out there.

If you could eliminate every risky form of power, AND substitute that with clean risk-free power, that would improve everyone's life. We can't do that. Coal power kills people through emitted pollution. Natural gas kills people through explosions and other accidents. Nuclear power makes people afraid, and requires them to move when there's an accident. Solar and wind power is intermittent. Hydro doesn't work everywhere, and requires dams that cause ecological problems and put people at risk for dam collapse.

In terms of future safety, reduction of CO2 emissions and improvement in people's lives, replacing coal with nuclear will absolutely be a step forward. The biggest barrier to that is simple fear, rather than technological barriers.

Comment

• DanKegel
                  Banned
                  • Sep 2014

I'm no luddite (well, ok, I bought a car without power windows on purpose, so I guess I am); I'm optimistic that by simply applying lessons learned from previous nuclear reactor failures (TMI, Chernyobl, Fukushima, and others; see http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/sa...ety-of-plants/ ) the plants can be operated safely. (And in well-run countries, they probably will be.)

Coal, on the other hand, seems like all downside. While nuclear power plants produce nasty waste, at least it's compact. Coal-fired plants produce great gobsmackingly large amounts of toxic waste. They're also a major source of mercury air pollution. So, no need for politics to drive the shutdown of coal plants; health considerations, climate change considerations, and water quality considerations suffice.

Comment

• Oct 2015

Coal, on the other hand, seems like all downside. While nuclear power plants produce nasty waste, at least it's compact. Coal-fired plants produce great gobsmackingly large amounts of toxic waste. They're also a major source of mercury air pollution. So, no need for politics to drive the shutdown of coal plants; health considerations, climate change considerations, and water quality considerations suffice.
                    So if the power producers from coal were able to charge per MW pricing as for solar/wind, so that they can pay for upgraded equipment to clean up the pollutants would you sign up for that?

Comment

• DanKegel
                      Banned
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by 8.4

So if the power producers from coal were able to charge per MW pricing as for solar/wind, so that they can pay for upgraded equipment to clean up the pollutants would you sign up for that?
                      Even if carbon capture and storage ever works, that would only take care of the co2, not the mercury and fly ash.
                      I'm afraid the technology to do what you propose does not exist yet, and may not be thermodynamically feasible.

So it's kind of a moot question. Coal is dying in the US, and few will mourn its passing.

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

Even if carbon capture and storage ever works, that would only take care of the co2, not the mercury and fly ash.
                        I'm afraid the technology to do what you propose does not exist yet, and may not be thermodynamically feasible.

So it's kind of a moot question. Coal is dying in the US, and few will mourn its passing.
                        I agree with you that the coal industry is dying.

I do not agree that only a few in the world will mourn its passing.

Although I will also say that people who do not depend on it will applaud it going away.

Comment

• DanKegel
                          Banned
                          • Sep 2014

Coal miners, of course, will be out of a job, and that hurts. That's 116,000 people, according to http://www.msha.gov/stats/centurystats/coalstats.asp
                          http://insideenergy.org/2015/04/10/i...sk-whats-next/ talks about how hard it is for them.
                          But time marches on, and we really shouldn't be mining coal to burn for electricity anymore; there are cleaner, safer, cheaper alternatives these days.

Comment

• SunEagle
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

Coal miners, of course, will be out of a job, and that hurts. That's 116,000 people, according to http://www.msha.gov/stats/centurystats/coalstats.asp
                            http://insideenergy.org/2015/04/10/i...sk-whats-next/ talks about how hard it is for them.
                            But time marches on, and we really shouldn't be mining coal to burn for electricity anymore; there are cleaner, safer, cheaper alternatives these days.
                            It will be more than just the coal miners being out of work. A number of States (Wyoming, Montana, West Virginia, etc.) have a high percentage of their income from the coal industry. Shut down that and a lot more people suffer then just those mining the stuff.

I agree that pollution from coal needs to be cleaned up but shutting down the entire industry quickly will cause many more domino's to fall than just the miners jobs.

Again I would think you would feel different about how quickly to reduce the usage of coal if your livelihood depended on it.

Comment

• Yaryman
                              Banned
                              • Aug 2015

It will be more than just the coal miners being out of work. A number of States (Wyoming, Montana, West Virginia, etc.) have a high percentage of their income from the coal industry. Shut down that and a lot more people suffer then just those mining the stuff.

I agree that pollution from coal needs to be cleaned up but shutting down the entire industry quickly will cause many more domino's to fall than just the miners jobs.

Again I would think you would feel different about how quickly to reduce the usage of coal if your livelihood depended on it.
                              So we should continue to use coal and pollute the planet because people will lose their jobs?

How quickly do you see the coal industry disappearing from the United States?

It won't happen overnight. But it does need to happen.

Comment

• Oct 2015

Originally posted by Yaryman

So we should continue to use coal and pollute the planet because people will lose their jobs?

How quickly do you see the coal industry disappearing from the United States?

It won't happen overnight. But it does need to happen.
                                China is the biggest user and will continue to pollute the world. Other countries will also pollute. Should we all stop flying and driving and go back to buggies? There are lots of industries polluting. I think some people are dead set against coal that we're not willing to spend money to make it bette even if it could, but spend money on lots of other things that does nothing for mankind.

Comment

Working...