Solar panels in space exploration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar panels in space exploration

Anybody interested in the topic of the use of solar panels in space? I had heard the Rover's panels were like millions of dollars a piece. How much more
    efficient are they than the one's a resident would buy for their home? What makes them special? I think this could be good fodder for discussion that could lead to critical thinking on more down to Earth applications. I was watching a Nova document called "Save by the Sun" 2007 publication which was talking about a solar paint you could brush on that would result in the capture of solar energy for electrical generation. Whatever happened to that idea?

Here is a excerpt about the Rover's solar panels "The Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) worked with Spectrolab, Inc. (a Boeing subsidiary in Sylmar, California), through the Dual-Use Science and Technology program to develop ultra-triple-junction (UTJ) solar cells. These cells subsequently powered the solar arrays aboard two NASA Mars rovers. The rovers Spirit and Opportunity landed on Mars in early 2004 to continue NASA's quest to explore the role of water on the planet. Once on the Martian surface, the solar panels deployed to form a total area of 1.3 m2 of UTJ solar cells that powered all spacecraft activities and instruments."

Solar panels are as old as space exploration. They were both developed at the same time. Early panels are the same you use. Today they use Ga,InP/GasAs/Ge multilayer cells with an efficiency up to 30%

Spectralabs panels have been around since Man first went to space in 1956. Their panels are on the moon. They make full spectrum panels for aerospace and military operations. They most are the most efficient and lightest panels that can be bought. Something required for space. There are two great reasons you cannot buy them. They are poisonous and cost $100/watt. You can only justify their use in spacecraft and military operations. Basically you are not allowed to have them.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

100$/watt?? So to just have a little plant you must have 0.5 mln $?
      [url]http://easysolar.co/[/url]

Comment

The high efficient, space rated panels are quite expensive, and to save weight, there is virtually no encapsulation, the wafers are bonded to mylar or kapton. But they are efficient enough to work out to about Jupiter. After that, RTG's are cheaper/better.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
          After that, RTG's are cheaper/better.
          Do you really think the OP and rollug have a clue what an RTG is without looking it up?
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
            Do you really think the OP and rollug have a clue what an RTG is without looking it up?
            I was clueless too until I looked it up a few minutes ago., but my ignorance or anyone else's doesn't change the accuracy of the statement. Such things can be an impetus to the ignorant and thus a teaching tool.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

I was clueless too until I looked it up a few minutes ago., but my ignorance or anyone else's doesn't change the accuracy of the statement. Such things can be an impetus to the ignorant and thus a teaching tool.
              True, but I was a Space Geek as a kid growing up in a Military family of the USAF. My best friends Father was an Engineer for Honeywell who made and designed the honeycomb heat shields on Gemini and Apollo space craft. Still have a piece and some gold foil used as radiation/heat shield. Have it framed, and signed by Tom Stafford.

Even was fortunate enough to watch an Apollo 10 and two STL launches. RTG's as you learned are nuclear batteries (P238) made for deep space probes where solar is too weak, and fuel cells cannot last long enough. They have a life span of roughly 40 years. The Russian Mars version of a Rover uses RTG and quite a few of their Satellites and IBM's use them as well. .
              MSEE, PE

Comment

True, but I was a Space Geek as a kid growing up in a Military family of the USAF. My best friends Father was an Engineer for Honeywell who made and designed the honeycomb heat shields on Gemini and Apollo space craft. Still have a piece and some gold foil used as radiation/heat shield. Have it framed, and signed by Tom Stafford.

Even was fortunate enough to watch an Apollo 10 and two STL launches. RTG's as you learned are nuclear batteries (P238) made for deep space probes where solar is too weak, and fuel cells cannot last long enough. They have a life span of roughly 40 years. The Russian Mars version of a Rover uses RTG and quite a few of their Satellites and IBM's use them as well. .
                I watched Apollo 9 lift off in 3/69 on spring break while AWOL from school. Even though late A.M. (as I think I was told), somewhat inebriated and standing on the Merritt causeway, the force (sound) and heat of the event taking place 10-15 miles away was enough to make me think I was having either a heart attack or something was terribly wrong. Ahhhh !!! - youth !

Comment

I watched Apollo 9 lift off in 3/69 on spring break while AWOL from school. Even though late A.M. (as I think I was told), somewhat inebriated and standing on the Merritt causeway, the force (sound) and heat of the event taking place 10-15 miles away was enough to make me think I was having either a heart attack or something was terribly wrong. Ahhhh !!! - youth !
                  Yeah they were awesome. Nothing like an Apollo launch. No one can understand the massive power unless they have been there to see it. The ground shaking, the heat, and the deafening roar of thunder that last 60 seconds. Then the smell of kerosene when the cloud finally passes over. I can only just imagine what it was like in the Observation Bunker Military Brass and NASA personnel just 3 miles away was like.Sounds like we are close in age. I was 14 at the time.

Oh Shuttle launches are not bad, but nothing compared to Apollo
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

Yeah they were awesome. Nothing like an Apollo launch. No one can understand the massive power unless they have been there to see it. The ground shaking, the heat, and the deafening roar of thunder that last 60 seconds. Then the smell of kerosene when the cloud finally passes over. I can only just imagine what it was like in the Observation Bunker Military Brass and NASA personnel just 3 miles away was like.Sounds like we are close in age. I was 14 at the time.

Oh Shuttle launches are not bad, but nothing compared to Apollo
                    I'm sorry I missed most of it in an alcoholic haze.

Comment

I'm sorry I missed most of it in an alcoholic haze.
                      That was the 60's. Sure it wasn't Purple Haze?
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

That was the 60's. Sure it wasn't Purple Haze?
                        No. That was during my kill a commie for Christ phase. Besides, while I'm pretty much live/let live, dope & I never agreed. I did keep the folks at St. James gate on 3 shifts for a number of years however.

Comment

Working...
                        X